newbie advice

I am looking to buy a tablet and would like any advice as to which one, I am looking at the Nexus 7 or the ipad mini retina,
for someone in their 60's and a total beginner, are either of those easier to use than the other, I guess the Android and the Apple are different systems to use, any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• BunionsBunions Posts: 14,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you list the kinds of things that the tablet will most be used for, that will help FMs tailor their advice.

Sorry but I don't use either so I'll leave it in the capable hands of those who do :)
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want a device where you can tinker with settings, get the Nexus. If you want something that's a bit better at just working, get the iPad. The iPad also has a bigger screen so if your eyesight isn't amazing, it will be helpful in that respect, saving you from having to manipulate the webpage or whatever you have on screen so you can see it better.
    However, the Nexus is good for what you get for the price, so if you're wanting to save some pennies, get that.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I would suggest you go to your local PC World/Currys and use the display models before you decide. They have 7",8" and 10" to try
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other obvious choice is the Tesco Hudl, which has a similar specification to the original Nexus 7 and gets generally very positive comments. It costs £120, or less if you've got Clubcard vouchers because they are worth double their face value off the price of a Hudl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebanut wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a tablet and would like any advice as to which one, I am looking at the Nexus 7 or the ipad mini retina,
    for someone in their 60's and a total beginner, are either of those easier to use than the other, I guess the Android and the Apple are different systems to use, any advice would be welcome.

I've got the latest nexus 7.2 with the high definition screen, and the picture is excellent, and the sound level (for a tablet) is very good - no problems hearing it from a few metres away.

Battery charge/ duration times are good too - not quite as good a the handbook, but it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Wi Fi hasn't been a problem either - as my previous tablet was.

The national electronics chain whose name sounds like an Indian meal has a cash back offer on at the moment, which makes the nexus 7 the best buy I've seen on the market at the moment. Ask them to do a 'manager's special' on the 3 year warranty upgrade, and you should get it half price, which will mean you get one of the best tablets on the market with a 3 year comprehensive warranty for around 200 pounds.

The Nexus is made by Asus (arguably one of the best hardware manufacturers in the world) and they do their own HD 7 Memo Pad tablet, which is similar to the Nexus but has a lower definition screen. 119.00 with same cashback offer, add 3 year warranty at half price (manager's special) and you will have one of the best buys on the market at just under 140.00.

Both of the above are class leaders and provide a combination of top grade performance, value for money, and reliability, having been built by Asus who have a prized reputation in the world of digital hardware.

Whichever tablet you get, I recommend taking out an extended warranty - most developing faults will mean that replacement will be cheaper than repair, and tablets have a poor reputation for maintaining battery life long-term. Make sure the warranty covers the battery - some warranties exclude it.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you buy one of these tablets, you're also buying into a corporate identity and marketing scheme. You can have Google (Nexus, Hudl), Apple (iPad), or Amazon (Fire HD). It does make quite a difference to where you get apps and media, how much you pay, how much it tickles your privacy paranoia, and ultimately how you use the device.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with Peter's advice there, and if you follow that route I'm sure you'll be perfectly satisfied.
    Bu you do say someone in their 60's who is a " total beginner", so I wouldn't rule out the iPad. I'm not an Apple "fanboy" as some like to call anyone who says anything in their favour, but they do produce the most user-friendly devices in the world.
    It's also worth looking at the size, will he/she be carrying it around ? If it's primarily to be used in the home, they may prefer the bigger screen on the iPad Air. Is there an Apple store near you ? When I bought an iPad 2 for my mother, I took her along there and they set it all up with her, talking her through step by step. I know I could have done the same, but it was still a relief to leave the shop with everything done bar going home and typing in the password for the wifi.
    I suppose all I'm saying is, if you want complete peace of mind and the knowledge that you've bought something that is totally reliable and virtually fool-proof in use, you could do a lot worse than going down the Apple route.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with Peter's advice there, and if you follow that route I'm sure you'll be perfectly satisfied.
    Bu you do say someone in their 60's who is a " total beginner", so I wouldn't rule out the iPad. I'm not an Apple "fanboy" as some like to call anyone who says anything in their favour, but they do produce the most user-friendly devices in the world.
    It's also worth looking at the size, will he/she be carrying it around ? If it's primarily to be used in the home, they may prefer the bigger screen on the iPad Air. Is there an Apple store near you ? When I bought an iPad 2 for my mother, I took her along there and they set it all up with her, talking her through step by step. I know I could have done the same, but it was still a relief to leave the shop with everything done bar going home and typing in the password for the wifi.
    I suppose all I'm saying is, if you want complete peace of mind and the knowledge that you've bought something that is totally reliable and virtually fool-proof in use, you could do a lot worse than going down the Apple route.
    I'd vote for the ipad2 as well.

I got one for my 78 year old mum. She loves it. Nice big screen, sharp enough for her eyesight. Weight isn't a big deal because I also got her a joby gorillapod stand for it. She just sits that on her lap at a comfortable angle and taps away at all sorts of stuff. Plenty quick enough for web and email.

I asked her recently if she'd want a sharper or smaller screen and she said no to both.

I've left it on iOS6 because the changes won't make any difference to her and I update the apps now and then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the advice, this will be my 1st tablet and want to make the right choice, the trouble with me is that I am indecisive, I keep reading how good both the Mini Retina is as well as the latest Nexus 7, then I go and read rumours of a new nexus 10 and an 8 also, which then makes me start thinking all over again, so I must go to my local Apple store and all the other big stores to try them, not Tesco though, because I am an ex employee of Sainsbury of 31 years,:D thanks again everyone.