MP's & the Inquiry into Scottish Football.

2»

Comments

• DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wiki Celtic were on the verge of bankruptcy but McCann 'reconstituted' the club as a plc so avoided becoming bankrupt.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the SPL is, in football terms, equivalent to the English 2nd division, why not simply fold the whole shooting match in the English Leagues?

Now that one of the only two major clubs has collapsed It doesn't seem worth keeping the whole circus alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    How do you know this will happen?

I have only heard about the administration part but no doubt the clubs will lose money, the TV deal and other sponsorship deals would be far lower.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davser wrote: »
    According to wiki Celtic were on the verge of bankruptcy but McCann 'reconstituted' the club as a plc so avoided becoming bankrupt.

And is wrong.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    I have only heard about the administration part but no doubt the clubs will lose money, the TV deal and other sponsorship deals would be far lower.

No doubt money will be lost, but teams will readjust their finances. Millions of pounds were lost when Setanta went bust, Scottish football still went on.
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Given that the SPL is, in football terms, equivalent to the English 2nd division, why not simply fold the whole shooting match in the English Leagues?

Now that one of the only two major clubs has collapsed It doesn't seem worth keeping the whole circus alive.

I agree with this a mergers with the English leagues would be a great idea.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    I agree with this a mergers with the English leagues would be a great idea.

I doubt it would be practical and in any event wouldn't the clubs be obliged to start in non-league football and get league status on merit?
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    No doubt money will be lost, but teams will readjust their finances. Millions of pounds were lost when Setanta went bust, Scottish football still went on.

Setanta are in no way equivalent to one of the two biggest clubs, and quite frankly without them you may as well just hand the title to Celtic. If they were chucked out of the league of relegated to SFL 3 it would resign Scottish football to a declining league that only has domestic interest. I'm only speculating here but many fans may choose to watch the EPL instead within Scotland.
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    I doubt it would be practical and in any event wouldn't the clubs be obliged to start in non-league football and get league status on merit?

I agree I don't think it will happen because of short term self interest by English clubs, in terms of where teams would play that would be decided in any agreement.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setanta are in no way equivalent to one of the two biggest clubs, and quite frankly without them you may as well just hand the title to Celtic. If they were chucked out of the league of relegated to SFL 3 it would resign Scottish football to a declining league that only has domestic interest. I'm only speculating here but many fans may choose to watch the EPL instead within Scotland.

Ah the desperation of the Rangers fan , consigned to the oblivion
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing which interests me.

There are (no doubt) several Highland/South of Scotland League etc teams with applications to join the SFL pending.

Why should a new team automatically qualify for membership ahead of those already established teams?

Surely as a new start-up club Rangers must play in and win the league of the area in which they are based and then apply to the SFL for membership.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are (no doubt) several Highland/South of Scotland League etc teams with applications to join the SFL pending.

Why should a new team automatically qualify for membership ahead of those already established teams?

Surely as a new start-up club Rangers must play in and win the league of the area in which they are based and then apply to the SFL for membership.

Yep, to quote the song " start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start"
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Ah the desperation of the Rangers fan , consigned to the oblivion

I'm not a Rangers fan at all, I am an English Arsenal supporter and to be quite frank, with my Irish Catholic family links I would say that Celtic were the team I "support" in the SPL. I am no fan of Rangers.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

As I said previously I assume that a club joining from scratch would have to start in non-league football (talking England now) as did Manchester club FC United started by MUFC fans who don't like the Glazers even though they get more support than many (lower) Football League clubs.

I've thought for years how depressing it must be for Scots fans who don't support the old firm as they are on a hiding to nothing.