Options

Cheryl Cole set to become first British Female Artist to achieve 5 #1

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth are you bringing Kylie into this? What has she got to do with anything? Kylie is a pop legend with millions of fans all around the world and has been in the showbiz industry for almost 30 years, OF COURSE she is more successful than Cheryl for goodness sake.

Kylie has released 12 albums! Cheryl only 4, Kylie has had low moments and bounced back, so will Cheryl, not that this is a low point at all, because Cheryl has had two hit singles this year where Kylie has had none.
    Congratulations to Cheryl on her fourth consecutive top ten album, I'm sure that with more singles the album will gradually get up to at least gold status which is pretty good for albums these days.
    As long as Cheryl keeps getting the hits and the press she'll keep her record deal no problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole's new album has entered at #7 on the UK album chart after selling around 20,000 copies this week, and that's after two #1 singles. How the supposedly "mighty" have fallen. Kiss Me Once doesn't look so bad now, eh, gpk? Cheryl better get another Girls Aloud reunion in the pipeline.

Some people might argue that Kylie's UK album sales dropped a lot after her first two albums, but unlike Cheryl's third album, Kylie's actually went Platinum, she also scored a third #1 album in 1992 with her Platinum-selling Greatest Hits collection.

I know this might seem like a petty post, but a few Cheryl Cole fans on this forum seem to take great satisfaction in belittling Kylie's success, especially after Kiss Me Once sold just under 30,000 copies in its first week. It doesn't pay to be arrogant and cocky. :)

So Pink Floyd's album sold 119,000 copies more than Cheryl's? Wow, that'a bad, at least we won't need to suffer her for much longer.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20,000 ! That's her worst performing album release so far.
    20 years ago sales of 20,000 wouldn't be enough to break the top 30 albums.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    20,000 ! That's her worst performing album release so far.
    20 years ago sales of 20,000 wouldn't be enough to break the top 30 albums.

This thread title is a sad sign of the state of the music industry today.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't bought the album but I've downloaded and synced it from Spotify. Sales are becoming to mean very little in terms of how much people are actively enjoying and consuming music.

I believe the whole album was uploaded to YouTube as well officially.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good always prevails over evil
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are realising what a load of rubbish she is. Let's say parents know it's not worth putting there hands in the purse to buy.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Simon Cowell congratulate her on the X Factor for her No. 7 placing?
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I think that'd be perfectly fine if it maintained decent sales over time (which I doubt) and/or it was a strong body of work making it decent award nomination fodder with strong critical acclaim - I haven't heard the album in full and don't intend to but again I'm not convinced that'd be the case either.

Then again by her own standards I can't see her being in any trouble after two number 1 singles from the album. She's a single seller essentially so as long as they don't start to flop her career is in no danger.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't dislike Cheryl as much as some do - the overhype is my main problem when it comes to her - but I wish someone with actual musical credibility and identity had achieved this. It's quite depressing that it's gone to someone who can't really sing, doesn't write their own material, and is the epitome of manufactured.

Still, the public like what they like. Nothing can be done about that.
  • Options
    kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Cheryls album down to 26 in midweeks...oh dear...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of female artists don't seem to be selling that way lately.

Of course let's single Cheryl out!
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of female artists don't seem to be selling that way lately.

Of course let's single Cheryl out!

Yeah Taylor Swift is having a nightmare.

TBH someone posts a congratulatory thread for an achievement, then you can expect a response when her album flops, and it has in any sense of the word, massive promotion, prime-time telly slot, and it is by far the biggest way an artist makes money, album sales.

Still I'm glad she beat the record mentioned in the opening post, as Geri Halliwell, the most irritating woman in pop-culture held it.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The album has been a disater, terrible sales and I think its freefalling now. Ouch.

I wonder if she'll continue promo and release more singles, or stop after two like she did with her last two albums.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make sense to continue, there are some great songs she could release to save the album from totally flopping, "Only Human", "Waiting For Lightning", "It's About Time", etc all great tracks she could release.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    It would make sense to continue, there are some great songs she could release to save the album from totally flopping, "Only Human", "Waiting For Lightning", "It's About Time", etc all great tracks she could release.

It does totally make sense, and I agree those three tracks could be hits, I also think All In One Night and Stars would do well too, AION more so, but its whether she can actually be bothered to do more promo. We'll see.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Human is down to #28 in its second week, astonishingly bad! Will it even make three weeks in the Top 40?

I'm getting my copy for Christmas, so have yet to hear it personally. Is the deluxe worth getting?
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Only Human is down to #28 in its second week, astonishingly bad! Will it even make three weeks in the Top 40?

I'm getting my copy for Christmas, so have yet to hear it personally. Is the deluxe worth getting?

Clearly only die hard fans buying it. Plunging 21 places in a week ouch! Ella Henderson is out selling her lol.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiss Me Once doesn't look so bad now, eh, gpk?

find a post where i commented on kylie's last album chart performance and then you may have a point. but why make it so personal too? i am completely perplexed and bemused that i have seemingly offended a poster that has only been here a year and has only posted 85 times, so i can only assume our paths have crossed before somehow.:confused: either way, kylie is completely irrelevant to this thread and that comment is unnecessary in the way it is delibarately personal.

i do you honestly think i care whenever an album has flopped? unlike others, i take no pleasure in kicking someone while they're down or take pleasure in other peoples failures. :)
    I know this might seem like a petty post, but a few Cheryl Cole fans on this forum seem to take great satisfaction in belittling Kylie's success, especially after Kiss Me Once sold just under 30,000 copies in its first week. It doesn't pay to be arrogant and cocky. :)

it is incredibly petty to be frank, but who are these "few Cheryl Cole fans on this forum seem to take great satisfaction in belittling Kylie's success"? :confused: there are about three regular posters in cheryl appreciation thread, she hardly has a team of fans fighting her corner on here.

i honestly think some people have lost rational prospective due to irrational hatred or desperately need to do something more constructive with their time. creating "fan wars" is so juvenile and having made a lot of personal changes this year, i really dont have the time for insignificant pettiness like this anymore, but do continue, people clearly derive pleasure is negative ways and each to their own after all.:)
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Good always prevails over evil
    Hahahahaha