stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the blouse that Ryan made...really looks original
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on the style of Neil's blouse at all.

I think Ryan's and Lorna's were my favourites style wise.
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Claudia, but I wonder how the contestants feel when she takes up their time talking to them and on some occasions .........it is total rubbish she speaks!
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorna has a great model. Very elegant and looks good in anything.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Not keen on the style of Neil's blouse at all.

I think Ryan's and Lorna's were my favourites style wise.

Neil's blouse was horrible, added pounds to the model around the waist and boobs, never a good move :o

I'm beginning to seriously adore Ryan, he's very talented and very lovely.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Not many watching tonight?

Did it clash with the "guaranteed to depress" Eastenders? Don't watch it, so don't really know.

I'd never heard of the "walk away dress". Surprising because I was around in the 50s and had heard and made the "multi-dress" - a jersey tube with two very long tapering bits coming straight over the boobs and carrying on forever, which you then wrapped and draped to make around 20 different styles from the one dress.

Create and Craft TV are currently selling the pattern for the walk away dress, and having looked it up on the web, not many think a lot of the dress. Apparently because it's got no back to the apron under skirt, it rides up into a bunch at the front. There's also a version which is the other way round to the one they made on the show, which has the opening of the top skirt at the back,

Sad to see Neela go, but pleased that the men now outnumber the women in the contest. For me Ryan, Neil and Lorna are currently the front runners, but there's something about Lorna that makes me not keen on her. Also she tends to flounder a bit more than the other two when she's asked to do something she's not familiar with

Neil's sheer blouse was dreadful and it didn't help that he chose the sheerest of sheer fabrics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »

Did it clash with the "guaranteed to depress" Eastenders? Don't watch it, so don't really know.

I'd never heard of the "walk away dress". Surprising because I was around in the 50s and had heard and made the "multi-dress" - a jersey tube with two very long tapering bits coming straight over the boobs and carrying on forever, which you then wrapped and draped to make around 20 different styles from the one dress.

Create and Craft TV are currently selling the pattern for the walk away dress, and having looked it up on the web, not many think a lot of the dress. Apparently because it's got no back to the apron under skirt, it rides up into a bunch at the front. There's also a version which is the other way round to the one they made on the show, which has the opening of the top skirt at the back,

Sad to see Neela go, but pleased that the men now outnumber the women in the contest. For me Ryan, Neil and Lorna are currently the front runners, but there's something about Lorna that makes me not keen on her. Also she tends to flounder a bit more than the other two when she's asked to do something she's not familiar with

Neil's sheer blouse was dreadful and it didn't help that he chose the sheerest of sheer fabrics.

It did, watched for 30 minutes to fill in the time and happily switched over as soon as GBSB started, really don't give a stuff who killed whoever it was, but I do care that Ryan keeps doing well and doesn't get thrown by his over locker :D

Those Christian Dior 50s creations were divine, gorgeous and flattering, so jealous my Mum got to wear that style back in the day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My mum couldn't afford such luxury. We lived in the east end of London and it was definitely a case of cutting down adult clothes to make clothes for the children; using the good bits of furnishings to make clothes; and cutting bed sheets down the middle when they were worn through and sewing the selvedges together, cutting off the frayed now sides and hemming them to get more wear out of the sheets. Any lengths of fabric they did manage to get hold of were kept for a garment for a special occasion which is why my mum was so cross when, at age 7, I decided I was going to make a dress for myself and used one of her new precious pieces of printed cotton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My mum couldn't afford such luxury. We lived in the east end of London and it was definitely a case of cutting down adult clothes to make clothes for the children; using the good bits of furnishings to make clothes; and cutting bed sheets down the middle when they were worn through and sewing the selvedges together, cutting off the frayed now sides and hemming them to get more wear out of the sheets. Any lengths of fabric they did manage to get hold of were kept for a garment for a special occasion which is why my mum was so cross when, at age 7, I decided I was going to make a dress for myself and used one of her new precious pieces of printed cotton.

Trust me, my Mum grew up on a farm in rural Ireland, no luxury there :D But one of her sister's was very handy with a needle and thread and would have aced the curtains challenge :D
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving Ryan. He just cheers me up!
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh my! I hate sewing/dress making ( thanks to a particularly revolting teacher who taught it at school and ridiculed my left handednes) but I have only just discovered this programme and am absolutely entranced by it....what a shock :D. Loving the ex army chap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh my! I hate sewing/dress making ( thanks to a particularly revolting teacher who taught it at school and ridiculed my left handednes) but I have only just discovered this programme and am absolutely entranced by it....what a shock :D. Loving the ex army chap.

Welcome :)

I can remember watching trailers for the very first series and thinking "Sewing? Don't be ridiculous - how can sewing possibly be interesting enough to watch?"

How wrong I was - I think I was hooked by the end of the first episode and I have loved GBSB ever since. My only gripe is that the series simply isn't long enough and the wait until the next series seems interminable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil's blouse was horrible, added pounds to the model around the waist and boobs, never a good move :o

I'm beginning to seriously adore Ryan, he's very talented and very lovely.
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I'm loving Ryan. He just cheers me up!

He is adorable - and so talented. I loved his story about the sixties dress he made for his friend's drama exam and how thrilled he was when he heard two girls commenting on how great it was.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did, watched for 30 minutes to fill in the time and happily switched over as soon as GBSB started, really don't give a stuff who killed whoever it was, but I do care that Ryan keeps doing well and doesn't get thrown by his over locker :D

Those Christian Dior 50s creations were divine, gorgeous and flattering, so jealous my Mum got to wear that style back in the day

haha absolutely AK - and what with Neil and his sheers, we had all the suspense and drama we could handle! :D Talking of the overlocker, were they available back in the 50's? They looked a bit too modern for the old machines, (well 1970's anyway! :p)
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army, he's our favourite.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    He is adorable - and so talented. I loved his story about the sixties dress he made for his friend's drama exam and how thrilled he was when he heard two girls commenting on how great it was.

:D

He has such a lovely smile too. And much talent.

Him and Lorna are my favourites.
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I was watching (I'm not an EE viewer either) but I don't always have access to the web.

I thought the 'walk away' dress was intriguing, so it was interesting to see the comments you refer to regarding 'bunching up at the front. (I have been considering an adaptation of this idea for myself) Love your 'multi-dress' idea!

Good to see the blokes doing well, although I agree re Neil's blouse :o

Glad to see so many enjoying this programme. It's a must see for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Comments about the bunching of the walkaway dress suggested that it wouldn't bunch if the underskirt could be made into a complete tube somehow rather than just being an apron - some kind of fastening down the back.

There's a whole page on the mutli-dress and what can be done with just one version (there are a few versions on the page) here:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/multi_way_dress

I watched the repeat - can't get enough of this programme - there are only three to go!!!!!
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comments about the bunching of the walkaway dress suggested that it wouldn't bunch if the underskirt could be made into a complete tube somehow rather than just being an apron - some kind of fastening down the back.

There's a whole page on the mutli-dress and what can be done with just one version (there are a few versions on the page) here:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/multi_way_dress

I watched the repeat - can't get enough of this programme - there are only three to go!!!!!

Fascinating link Janet. Yes - you view the programme through different eyes the second time - or in my case ears! This time around, I heard Claudia say the overlocker was used with the old machines! I thought it looked more like a 70's gadget. Must go to the back of the class until I learn how to pay attention! :D
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ]I have just watched it for the second time - the first time we had visitors who wanted to watch it but also talked all through it!!!
    Ryan is my favourite too I am sure he will get to the final. Bit disappointed in this years selection of ladies. I like the girl with red hair and the older lady (sorry hopeless with names) but the older lady - at the moment - seems the only woman likely to make the final.
    Didn't like Neils very sheer blouse but liked Matts(?) pity he used the wrong interfacing for the collar.
    I am curious about the binding foot - once they got the hang of it it looked like it would be a big help. Shame the women were afraid to try it.
    This series is going much too quickly!!!
    This is an interesting piece on the walkaway dress
    http://patternpatter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-walk-away-dress-and-its-descendents.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a good link. If I was of an age and had the figure to wear such a dress, think I'd go for one of the versions which doesn't have the straight apron underskirt. I'd be really cross if I went to all the trouble of making it and it did bunch up at the front.

I've used the bias binding foot and hemming feet and found it was quite difficult to keep whatever was going through it straight. But that might just be me because I know others who use them without any problem.

According to Baby Lock, they were the first to produce a domestic overlocker in 1967. I have one and wouldn't be without it. Very useful for mums who have to produce costumes for their children quickly overnight, when they've forgotten to tell mum that they're having, for example, a pirate day. They don't just neaten edges.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »

Interesting to see the vanity sizing. The first pattern was 32" bust and a size 14, but now a size 14 is 36".
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is on in the background in my mind (my wife is a fan) but I must say the programme is watchable even for the likes of me.

I know nothing about dressmaking, tailoring, needlework etc but the programme succeeds in the entertainment stakes.

Helped I think by the fabulous Claudia.
  • Options
    cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is on in the background in my mind (my wife is a fan) but I must say the programme is watchable even for the likes of me.

I know nothing about dressmaking, tailoring, needlework etc but the programme succeeds in the entertainment stakes.

Helped I think by the fabulous Claudia.

The programne has a strange hold! My grandfather was a tailor, my mother made all our clothes, my sister loved to sew and I hate it and don't even own a needle. But I love this and hope it carries on for years!

With Claudia presenting, of course.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member

My husband can barely thread a needle but really enjoys it :D