Is an out of date passport a valid form of ID?

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - could you get (or do you have) a provisional driving licence - would that do the trick? Not sure whether provisional licences are accepted the same as full, but I can't see why they shouldn't as they have the same personal details don't they?

I am not sure if they are?? And as I have no intention of learning to drive I don't want to pay £50 for a provisional licence.

I think my main gripe is the fact that I am nearly 29 and I am getting harrassed left, right and centre for ID. Honestly is it some kind of conspiracy to get us to all got for goverment ID cards? :eek:

I never got asked for ID this much when I was 18 :o
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if they are?? And as I have no intention of learning to drive I don't want to pay £50 for a provisional licence.

I think my main gripe is the fact that I am nearly 29 and I am getting harrassed left, right and centre for ID. Honestly is it some kind of conspiracy to get us to all got for goverment ID cards? :eek:

provisional licences are fine to use as i.d, use it myself
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    provisional licences are no good, if you have had luck using yours then your lucky!
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    provisional licences are no good, if you have had luck using yours then your lucky!

As the provisional licence contains a photo and a date of birth and is obtained form the same agency, any clues as to why they are not accepted as ID?

RG22 - I didn't realise they were £50!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what your saying, try using a provisional licence with a bank or a mobile phone company for example.

They will refuse to accept it! :mad:
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I agree with what your saying, try using a provissional licence with a bank or a mobile phone company for example.

Not denying they will refuse to accept it (never tried personally) but just wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) knows why as it doesn't make any sense to me :confused::confused:
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think there is a lot of truth in this simple observation.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I agree with what your saying, try using a provisional licence with a bank or a mobile phone company for example.

Oh really? I think I used mine as identification for my CRB check.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    I got my passport renewed when it expired about four years ago because I knew I would need photo ID from time to time (at the time I had the old type of driving licence with no photo). For example when I wanted to take more than £500 in cash out of my building soc account they wanted two forms of ID, so the passport was necessary even though I never go abroad.

When we moved last year and I had to renew my driving licence (upgrade it to the photo type) they wanted me to post them my passport as additional proof of ID. I refused because I would then have been without any means of ID at all while I waited for them to be returned, so they accepted a letter from the National Insurance office as proof of ID. So yes, other forms of ID are acceptable but it depends on what you're trying to do - I'm a bit too old to get asked for DOB nowadays:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    Oh really? I think I used mine as identification for my CRB check.

You don't need id for a CRB check! :confused:

My wife has had two CRB checks, neither required proof of ID and i have had four done all by different employers again no proof of ID required! :confused::confused:

Employers or potential employers would take the monopoly CC as proof of ID these days no wonder we have so many illegal workers over here!

I guess it comes down to who you are dealing with, go to HSBC and request an application form to open a bank account for example and it cleary states they will not accept provisional drivers licences only full as proof of ID.

Even ID cards are no use anymore in most places, i guess it's because you can order them from ebay and such places!
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member

My wife has had two CRB checks, neither required proof of ID and i have had four done all by different employers again no proof of ID required! :confused::confused:

Employers or potential employers would take the monopoly CC as proof of ID these days no wonder we have so many illegal workers over here!

I guess it comes down to who you are dealing with, go to HSBC and request an application form to open a bank account for example and it cleary states they will not accept provisional drivers licences only full as proof of ID.

Even ID cards are no use anymore in most places, i guess it's because you can order them from ebay and such places!

Err what?! So the CRB website lies then? Because according to the 3rd page of the application PDF (here)

Your identity needs to be confirmed. You need to provide original documentation (no photocopies) to the person who asked you to complete [the CRB] form.

They then go on to list a number of documents that you need to provide to prove your identity.

As for the provisional, many places will only accept a full driving licence as valid ID, except if you are 17/18 when many places will accept the provisional ... I used mine as valid ID when I opened a new bank account at 17 and it was accepted because I had just turned 17 and hadn't had a chance to even have driving lessons never mind have passed my test ... so they do make exceptions occasionally as long as you can prove that there is no other ID available.
    Forum Member

You do need ID, I remember because I took it to work and I was worried all day about losing it. :o
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do need ID for a CRB check.

Stands to reason: I could get someone to do a CRB check for John Smith, but it's no use if I'm actually Dave Edwards!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    If an out of date pasport was still valid then what would be the point of an expiry date?

The whole point of the expiry date is that it forces you to update your passport at regular intervals - so that it is relevant and valid.

It would be pretty daft if I was still trying to prove my ID with my first passport which would now be over 25 years old - I have changed a bit.

There are only 2 legal forms if ID for proving identity - a valid passport and a valid driving licence.

Which is absolutely wonderful when you think about it (yes, that was sarcasm). There is, in this country, no legal requirement to have either. In fact, there isn't yet a legal requirement to be able to identify yourself at all.

Shops and clubs that ask for ID are only doing so to protect themselves from their inability to develop any other method of falling foul of licensing laws.

Make it difficult enough to carry on 'normal' activities without a form of ID though and suddenly the thought of a single National Identity Card becomes more attractive, doesn't it? :cool:
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes you do. My husband has had 2 checks now, the latest being in January this year. He had to send off his photo driving license and original birth certificate as ID. They wouldnt do it without.

All this ID malarky is a pain isnt it. I work in the financial services sector, and i spend my life asking clients for valid ID and having the sort of discussions shown here. Valid is the key word. It has to be in date or they wont accept it.

Im sure a lot of clubs / pubs would though - expecially if your photo was on the ID .... but im obviously wrong.

We dont have valid passports anymore, and it caused no end of problems with a job my husband recently applied for. You could offer them a valid passport, but if you didnt have that ... then they needed photo driving license, birth certificate, proof of address, bank statement. All sorts of things. It was a right headache.
  • scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is someone like the OP supposed to do then?:mad: Not everyone has a driving license and not everyone wants to take their passport with them!

Are passport photocopies allowed? Or will they refuse even them? Guess at the end of it all, they just want to make us pay - just to get an ID!!!:mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ^^^^ I don't think a photocopied passport is valid as ID.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats weird, my wife has had hers done by the local council as part of her job. (they paid)

she never showed any id?

she has had others done via potential employers and again never shown any id, in fact she has no photographic id at all!

Same for me.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    My passport expired about 2 years ago, and I never renewed it because I knew I wouldn't be going abroad for a while as we were expecting our first baby. No point paying to renew it and then "losing" 2-3 years use!

However, my expired passport was accepted as proof of my ID when I went for Jury Service a couple of months ago.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats weird, my wife has had hers done by the local council as part of her job. (they paid)

she never showed any id?

she has had others done via potential employers and again never shown any id, in fact she has no photographic id at all!

Same for me.

They'd probably already been satisfied that the person they were checking was the person in front of them. If it's an employer, you'll have had references, bank account details date of birth and home address anyway.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A passport expires for many reasons. Mostly to do with travel and immigration. Laws change and so does the data required on a passport. You could also have moved out of the country during that time and become a foreign citizen. It's also to do with the fact that your appearance may change over time so it may need updating. It doesn't, however stop the person on the passport from being you which in your case is all your trying to prove.

I remember a funny story from one of Dara O'Brain's live shows where he tried to use an out of date passport to prove his ID and got refused. To which he replied, "Well it's still ME!"

Providing the passport isn't a fake and it's a genuine document and so long as the photo looks like you then how can it NOT be acceptable as ID? It's not like you've suddenly become someone else or changed your birth date. It still proves that on the date it was issued, you were the person in the photograph and so long as that photo is a genuine likeness to yourself then I don't see why it's not acceptable.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I have recently applied for a job through an agency (it is actually one I worked for before though it was over a year ago). They called me to arrange to go in, and told ,me what I'd need to bring proof of ID, NI number etc. My passport has expired which the agency says they can't acceptand I do not have a full birth certificate so in order to get a new job I'll have to shell out money (around £10 for the birth cert)it might not be much but its still annoying, and at least I am actually working- that'd be a lot if I was on the dole.
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeepKick_ wrote: »
    This is only £12 and is widely recognized.
    http://www.citizencard.com/

Those things are a waste of plastic. My GF had one and still got turned away from quite a few pubs.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    (I am 28 by the way and by no stretch of the imagination do I look young for my age - I am just short!!)

This must be the 5th time I've heard you complain about being ID'd, so god knows how many other times it has happened. Are you sure that you don't look too young? Can you not get a driving license?

When will you realise that these places couldn't care less about your personal reasons for not wanting/having a decent form of ID? They're covering themselves, they are not a service that you are entitled to.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    As a general rule it wouldn't be possible for out of date passports to be seen as a valid form of ID in all situations, because the photos in them could be from anything between 10 and 20+ years out of date.

I have an old passport myself and the photo is from 1992, and I wouldn't trust anyone looking at it to be completely confident that it's me.

Sure, in a lot of situations it might still be possible for someone to look at an old photo and be able to confirm that it is the same person, but not in all situations, so old passports probably are still accepted in many cases, but you can't reasonably expect them to be treated as valid ID in all cases.