Options

Is the UK TV media biased against UKIP?

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Get the feeling lately they are little overzealous concerning UKIP.

Is the UK TV media biased against UKIP? 135 votes

Yes
56% 76 votes
No
43% 59 votes

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I wouldn't say that overall but I would say that the Conservative-supporting newspapers are because they, quite rightly, see UKIP as a threat to their beloved Conservative party.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say that overall but I would say that the Conservative-supporting newspapers are because they, quite rightly, see UKIP as a threat to their beloved Conservative party.

YES.
    As the new kids on the block UKIP are rattling the cage.
    The two main parties and their supporters in the press don't like it they prefer the status quo with all its dodgy dealings.
    UKIP are no danger to the main two but they could expose what has been going on.
    The way things are looking they could be the difference to who forms the next government.
    The political tree needs pruning of its rotten and dead branches to improve the fruit
    maybe UKIP could be the ones to make it happen.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member

It's the reverse of what happened to Labour in 1980. The extreme Left highjacked it and the moderate SDP broke away.

With the Tories the moderates have consumed the Party while the harder Right have broken away.

The difference is that UKIP has grown steadily over 20 years and has durability and a broader depth with people knowing what it stands for, whereas the SDP was a short-lived affair of wishy-washy liberals and was only dissolved by Kinnock and Blair shifting Labour towards the centre and the Liberal Party merging with it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they might be seen to be so, seeing as UKIP's policies and candidates should, quite rightly, be closely analysed. Something that has not happened until recently.
  • Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL! This is a joke right? The're a minority party and they seem to get more coverage and free advertising than the Tories and Labour combined!
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member

UKIP are political outsiders.
    They are caught in a pincer movement of unfriendly coverage from the Tory press and the left leaning media such as channel 4 and the BBC.
    Labour are only waking up to the challenge represented by UKIP.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-is-serious-threat-to-ed-milibands-chances-of-a-labour-victory-at-the-next-general-election-former-aide-warns-9770790.html
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! This is a joke right?

Nope.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I did think that Farage photo with that Chelsea fan was pushing it a bit - how long did it take to drag that up. Guilt by having your photo taken with a random member of the public outside a pub who then does something unpleasant months later?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If anything, pro UKIP with all the attention they get.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a party with only two MPs they get a ridiculous amount of coverage. Farage should be sending the BBC flowers on a daily basis.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No more so than they are with any other party.

But I do get the feeling - strongly would be understating it massively - that many UKIP supporters cannot accept any criticism of their party. For some reason they think it's unfair and they're being picked on.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    No sure about bias. Sometimes when I see them talked about on TV I think they're being too nice, other times I think they're being overly harsh.

However, what I would say is that UKIP get waaaaay too much media coverage for a party that's frankly quite irrelevent in the grand scheme of things. I see Nigel Farage on TV almost every day, it's getting really annoying. Sometimes I feel like I see him/hear him talked about more on TV than David Cameron. If UKIP was a really huge party, I'd think "fair enough", but it's not.

I think Nigel knows what's going on. I think he knows if he makes outlandish statements every once in a while and says things to rile people up he'll get more media coverage than he deserves due to being controversial. For a small party like UKIP, the phrase "Any publicity is good publicity" really applies, since they haven't got much to lose, and bad publicity can serve to promote themselves. With the large parties, they do have a lot to lose, they can't risk bad publicity too often.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Wow, some Kippers don't half whine when they get the negative treatment. Do any of them complain when Milliband gets grief or Cameron is slagged off? All that free publicity and they still pout like five year olds. :p
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    They certainly didn't do Godfrey Bloom any favours. I remember a certain Channel Four reporter during the 'sluts gate' affair positively jumping at the chance to ambush him.

Also up until the European elections last year, the BBC Question Time programs, and indeed I would say the BBC generally, were always pretty distorted against UKIP for not a good enough reason I thought. Of course now it's accepted that uncontrolled immigration is a concern..........
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Anyone noticed UKIP is developing a tedious "poor me" attitude recently. If you can't take it don't give it out Kippio.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Wow, some Kippers don't half whine when they get the negative treatment. Do any of them complain when Milliband gets grief or Cameron is slagged off? All that free publicity and they still pout like five year olds. :p

I certainly defend Miliband when it's personal and not political.

As for Cameron - well in order to pass his Bullingdon club initiation he had to set light to a £50 note while waving it in the face of a homeless rough sleeper. So did Osborne. Sorry - no time for them - they are just not very nice human beings.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »

They're almost as bad as Scottish Nationalists.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! This is a joke right? The're a minority party and they seem to get more coverage and free advertising than the Tories and Labour combined!

It's astonishing really. Swivel eyed loons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I would say the media have gone fairly easy on UKIP. And that its acolytes are not used to being on the receiving end of flak. The Cult of Farage has been in a veritable strop in social media this week following the C4 "mockumentary" (insipid, languid and predictable as it was), and come out with some real corkers in the process. I am looking forward to the epic meltdown-fest that is likely to follow this weekend's BBC programme.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member

No.

Although it is hilarious reading such claims here on DS, especially in the Question Time thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    110% yes.

Perfect example here.

Paedophile Labour election agent jailed :o
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/02/20/paedophile-labour-election-agent-jailed-for-third-time/

It only appears to be covered only in a local news newspaper and not national. WHY? We all know what would happen if he was UKIP.........
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    UKIP are political outsiders.
    They are caught in a pincer movement of unfriendly coverage from the Tory press and the left leaning media such as channel 4 and the BBC.

The BBC isn't "left leaning" - it does a pretty good job of being impartial.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    One thing occurred to me watching that programme the other night.

If we did decide to leave the EU, you can be sure that TV news would link every
    job loss in Britain to us planning to leave.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    One thing occurred to me watching that programme the other night.

If we did decide to leave the EU, you can be sure that TV news would link every
    job loss in Britain to us planning to leave.

Well, I'm not so sure!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of UKIP, but I do think the media is biased against UKIP. However, most parties of UKIP's size would die for that level of coverage, I mean just look at how jealous the Greens are. If UKIP were smart they used the negative media and turn into something positive, rather than just constantly bitching about it, like they do now.