Options

UKIP Councillor - Problem with N.......

itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure if its been reported on here but a UKIP councillor has been recorded making the comment.
UKIP press officer Liz Langton Way: "The only people I do have problems with are negroes. And I don't know why.

They really should vet people they allow in front of the camera, its not just UKIP even the main parties have people like this.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31565770

Comments

• Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    This is the one that was supposed to be so shocking when it was reported around Christmas.

Frankly, it's a non-event. These remarks are absolutely typical of UKIP councillor rhetoric, and I can't see anyone being in the least bit surprised.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'm not racist but...."

Good grief. I know why even if she doesn't. i.e. You're racist, mate!
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It IS again just one individual, although it has to be said that once again it just happens to be an individual who belongs to Ukip.

Usual caveat, I do not believe all Ukip voters, all Ukip members or officials are racists or bigots, in fact I believe the majority aren't, but as a political party they do seem to have disproportionately more of them than any other party and are obviously a party that many racists are attracted to, even their own leader boasts of taking over one third of the BNP vote and the EDL leadership is on record expressing their support for Ukip
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    It IS again just one individual, ]

Ahhh bollocks... when are we all going to just admit UKIP is made up of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »

Trust me, I am no fan of Ukip, but every time something like the story above comes out we do have the usual suspects who insist that everyone thinks that Ukip voters and party members are all racists,

which, no matter how many times some of us say that it's not so, they refuse to acknowledge that we say it, and that's why I make a point of always stating the truth,

I despair of this "Ukip are racists" stuff and sometimes think they actually like it, as it helps them to avoid actually discussing their policies,
    within moments of any post critical of Ukip hitting the forum it almost always descends into a "did you just call my pint a racist"? no "I think you did, well I am not a racist and nor is my wife"
    and before you know it whatever point was being made is lost in yet another "are aren't are, aren't" pantomime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of MPs have been ousted as Pedo's (from the 70's), does that mean all MP's are?
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of fuss over nothing.

I bet that this incident like all the other hundreds of incidents in which people associated with UKIP say offensive things a complete one off.

When will the media stop focusing on these 782 one-off's?
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of MPs have been ousted as Pedo's (from the 70's), does that mean all MP's are?

How many are 'lots'?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well apparently all unemployed are scroungers because 'lots' of them have been caught scrounging, so why can't we do the same to MPs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    How many are 'lots'?

Dolphin square for example, no one really knows who went there but it was a considerable amount of MP's according to some sources.

At least 40 it would seem.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just more of the usual crap to try and discredit UKIP before the election.

So bloody predictable.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... but as a political party they do seem to have disproportionately more of them than any other party...

Really? Is that backed up with evidence or just your general feeling? I would actually wager that for every story of a UKIP councillor who has been reported to have said something racist or un PC.. I bet I can find just as many racism stories featuring another party. I'm pretty certain of it actually. I just typed a major party + councillor + racism and found about five examples just on the first page of results.

What makes you think UKIP has a disproportionate amount?
    Mesostim wrote: »

Why is it that when a UKIP councillor says something racist, it's suggested she represents the entire party. Yet when another party councillor says something racist, they're not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well apparently all unemployed are scroungers because 'lots' of them have been caught scrounging, so why can't we do the same to MPs?

Some people do. But I would not. No doubt there is a cover up, but "new" MP's will not be involved.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Dolphin square for example, no one really knows who went there but it was a considerable amount of MP's according to some sources.

At least 40 it would seem.

That's the problem with the Beeb. They seem to regard the racist comments of a councillor who UKIP have expelled as being a more important news story than investigating child abuse cover ups. Never do they even touch on the stuff the Mail and Mirror have at least tried to highlight. Still they as the Saville case proved were of course complicit in those cover ups.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So bloody predictable.

In fairness, in this case, a member not only said something racist, they said it in front of a camera crew. Which makes her racist *and* stupid, basically!
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Trust me, I am no fan of Ukip, but every time something like the story above comes out we do have the usual suspects who insist that everyone thinks that Ukip voters and party members are all racists,

which, no matter how many times some of us say that it's not so, they refuse to acknowledge that we say it, and that's why I make a point of always stating the truth,

I despair of this "Ukip are racists" stuff and sometimes think they actually like it, as it helps them to avoid actually discussing their policies,
    within moments of any post critical of Ukip hitting the forum it almost always descends into a "did you just call my pint a racist"? no "I think you did, well I am not a racist and nor is my wife"
    and before you know it whatever point was being made is lost in yet another "are aren't are, aren't" pantomime.

It's just flack... at some point we started letting racists let us define what racism is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Is that backed up with evidence or just your general feeling? I would actually wager that for every story of a UKIP councillor who has been reported to have said something racist or un PC.. I bet I can find just as many racism stories featuring another party. I'm pretty certain of it actually. I just typed a major party + councillor + racism and found about five examples just on the first page of results.

What makes you think UKIP has a disproportionate amount?

Are you genuinely interested in the evidence? the fact that the EDL endorse Ukip, the fact that Farage boasts about taking over one third of the BNP vote?
    name another party that A/ has taken over a third of the BNP vote, and that B/ boasts about it?
    I have never denied that other parties have racists and bigots both as elected representatives and as voters,

Why is it that when a UKIP councillor says something racist, it's suggested she represents the entire party. Yet when another party councillor says something racist, they're not?

You see, this is what I am on about, have you seen the thread about Austin Mitchell? have a read, there is a guy a Labour MP who has come out with a bloody stupid comment, the result? lots and lots Labour party detractors basically accusing the Labour party and everyone who votes for it of either supporting or turning a blind eye to pedos,
    So don't feel so put on, Ukip want to play in the big school then they will be attacked, and not everyone will be as polite as me, at least I don't call ALL kippers racists, I even make a point of saying that I believe that most aren't
    But for such a small party they DO seem to have a habit of attracting a disproportionate number of them (when compared to other parties)

perhaps you might enlighten us as to why you think Tommy Robinson of the EDL urged his supporters to vote Ukip, saying "they say what we say but in a different way"?

or why Farage himself boasts that over one third of the BNP vote have gone over to Ukip?,
    why do you think they went to Ukip and not Labour or the Tories?, and do you think that Cameron or Miliband would boast about it if they had?

doesn't it make you stop and think "hang on... I know I'm not a racists, but how come all these former BNP voters and EDL supporters are getting behind Ukip, have all these people suddenly decided not to be racists? or could it be that they see Ukip as the closest party to their particular views?,
    and do I, as a non racist, really want to be associated with a party that racists are so obviously attracted to?"
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you genuinely interested in the evidence? the fact that the EDL endorse Ukip, the fact that Farage boasts about taking over one third of the BNP vote?
    name another party that A/ has taken over a third of the BNP vote, and that B/ boasts about it?

Well I suppose that depends on if you subscribe to the view that everyone who voted BNP is a racist or if you subscribe to the view that people voted BNP for various reasons and not every single voter was racist.

For example Channel 4 conducted a poll looking into this very issue when BNP did well in the EU elections and found that a large % of the BNP vote were actually more concerned with immigration and felt disenfranchised with the main political parties rather than holding racist views. Sound familiar?

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/who+voted+bnp+and+why/3200557.html

So Nigel appears to have actually been stating what the Channel 4 research suggested.. that there was a % of the BNP vote held by people with non racist views who felt immigration was an issue not being addressed by the main parties. So he will have felt that section of the vote was up for grabs by UKIP. Would any other party boast about it? Of course not. That would be far too honest of them.

As for the EDL.. they can endorse whoever they like, that's not within UKIPs control. And their reasoning was vague at best.

Appreciate the comment you made about the Labour story today. Guilty as charged on that one.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So bloody predictable.
    Judging by the very quick decision to eject her from the party, the only discrediting has been done by Rozanne Duncan herself.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo, the only way the UKIP leadership can stop the rank-and-file Kippers from making racist comments would be to tape their mouths shut.

They only seem to stop coming out with racist remarks when they have something sexist or homophobic to say.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

So bloody predictable.
    No it isnt. Its from a documentary following UKIP supporters for a period. Its simply advertising the programme, it was her choice to make her comment, not some BBC stitch up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Imo, the only way the UKIP leadership can stop the rank-and-file Kippers from making racist comments would be to tape their mouths shut.

They only seem to stop coming out with racist remarks when they have something sexist or homophobic to say.
    There is only 1 kipper who is safe on TV and thats Farage. They dont even dare put Carswell or Reckless on because they know what will happen. UKIP is a 1 man party, and as it grows it will destroy itself, because they simply cant use Farage for every media engagement, eventually they will have to use others, and that always ends in disaster
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to freedom of speech ? Right or wrong seems people like to pick and choose. The lady has a right to her views and was asked a question which she answered.

Why ask the question if only one answer is aloud. No point asking the question !! Which makes the program culpable to anyone offended
  • Options
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »
    What happened to freedom of speech ? Right or wrong seems people like to pick and choose. The lady has a right to her views and was asked a question which she answered.

Why ask the question if only one answer is aloud. No point asking the question !! Which makes the program culpable to anyone offended
    She has freedom of speech. So do those who criticise her.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    She has freedom of speech. So do those who criticise her.

Absolutely! Which means there is no wrong or right answer.

Unless you are preaching hatred which she was not doing