the name jimmy or jim

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
Forum Member
Do you know anyone under 30 who prefers them to james

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No.

I' m not under 30 but I hate getting called Jim or Jimmy always have.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    No, come to think of it.

There are 3 guys named James at my work and a manager once called one of them "Jimmy" in front of me and a few others and he made a face like he had sucked on a lemon.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the one.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I doubt there will be many jimmy's in the future frankly.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    My OH is in his 40s and I have a nephew in his 20s and they bother prefer to be called James.

I also had an ex in his 30s/40s who preferred Jim.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will always have people with the given name of James being called Jim. Others usually changed are :
    Robert
    Bob / Bobby
    William
    Bill / Billy
    I knew it would happen when I was choosing names for my two boys, so I gave them names that couldn't be shortened, and that's all you can do really. As you get older I suppose men called James can insist on being referred to only as that, but it would get pretty tiresome. Although why a short name like James get's lengthened to Jimmy is odd really. I've always hated Jimmy !
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    pbogart wrote: »
    Do you know anyone under 30 who prefers them to james

Yep. I sure do. My best mate calls himself Jim instead of James too.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a friend whos dad is known a Jimmy or Jim. However his real name is Simon, I was told it was because when he was young his sister could not say his name properly so she started calling him Jimmy it then just stuck.
  • richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, my 24yr old son.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I want be called jimmy for some reason
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Morning Jimmy :p
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I know someone who's been known as Jimmy all his life. He's early twenties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ahh C U Jimmy (unintelligible fast talk).
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    My cousin's son is called James but is known as Jamie. I do have a friend called Jim though, he's in his late 20's and has always been Jim, never James. People shorten names regardless of what they are.
  • MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 23 and rarely get called James anymore, it's about 75% Jim and 25% Jimmy. Jim has really grown on me and quite like it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I like Jim just as much
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt there will be many jimmy's in the future frankly.

There'll be far fewer Rolfs too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There'll be far fewer Rolfs too.

What about Paul or Gary. A name is just a name, My son is called Charles (Charlie). Named after his Gt Grandfather and not Charles (Charlie) Manson. There are loads of names that serial killers have. Is every Ian seen as a bad name, despite two serial children killers having that as a first name.

James seems to be a popular name at my kids school, they maybe called Jim when they are older who knows.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    What about Paul or Gary. A name is just a name, My son is called Charles (Charlie). Named after his Gt Grandfather and not Charles (Charlie Manson). There are loads of names that serial killers have. Is every Ian seen as a bad name, despite two serial children killers having that as a first name.

James seems to be a popular name at my kids school, they maybe called Jim when they are older who knows.
    I agree but they are common names anyway Rolf isn't so the connection is more seen.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    England bowler James Anderson is often referred to as Jimmy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree but they are common names anyway Rolf isn't so the connection is more seen.

True but it was never really popular here anyway. In Sweden it is the most popular male name in some form. It's derived from Rudolf which is Germanic. Most similar name for it here would be Ralph I should think and that's not all that common.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who gets called Jim or Jimmy and has been for as long as I can remember(he is now 36). I have always called him James though because for me he was and will always be James everyone else calls him Jim (except for me and his Mum).
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend whose 10 year old grandson James is always called Jimmy. I have a cousin James who prefers to be called Jamie. I think James is the best version.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's partner's son but I think he was actually officially named Jim and not James. My dad hated his name being shortened to Bill and his brother hated Bobby so they were always called by their full names.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    My mum's partner's son but I think he was actually officially named Jim and not James. My dad hated his name being shortened to Bill and his brother hated Bobby so they were always called by their full names.

Someone has called my son Chuck and I hate that.