Options

EXCLUSIVE: Special Report: Sky HD, future plans

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I notice that James Murdoch is making a presentation at the Bear Stearns 2006 Media Conference today at 2.15pm. Let's see if he gives any more information away on HD.

If we don't hear anything, I suspect that things are delayed. I'm starting to think that 'early 2006' may become 'mid 2006' or later, in terms of actually getting a box installed. Very few companies are able to deliver on time these days!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hxbro wrote:
    sky hd newsletter just arrived in my inbox, I'd post the link but it looks like it's got a unsubscribe at the bottom

Issue 1.

That would be funny if we hadn't been waiting for so long:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is there no new information at all in that newsletter ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    colaboy wrote:
    Is it just me or is there no new information at all in that newsletter ?

Not just you:)

However it is at least an official source and backsup the website info, I didn't really expect any hard facts re. price/launch date until SKY make a public statement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Mark200 wrote:
    I notice that James Murdoch is making a presentation at the Bear Stearns 2006 Media Conference today at 2.15pm. Let's see if he gives any more information away on HD.

If we don't hear anything, I suspect that things are delayed. I'm starting to think that 'early 2006' may become 'mid 2006' or later, in terms of actually getting a box installed. Very few companies are able to deliver on time these days!

I just caught part of this presentation online before it cut out and it now says avaliable again soon. They had just got to pricing on Hi-Def and said there would be upgrade options for people with existing boxes who were planning on relocating the old box to a different room and taking out multi-room and also there would be offers for new customers as well.

However it did say there wouldnt be any heavy subsidising of the new boxes.......I dont know if it goes onto give any pricing details of subscriptions after this point as it just cut off.
  • Options
    Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Well I hope that is 160gig useable with another 80gig allocated for push content, it's a workable amount but pretty pathetic for a 2006 model.

The cynic in me would then say watch out for offical SATA upgrades offered by SKY.
    Pysically the disk is 300GB, but partioned 140GB push VOD and 160GB usable planner.

The 300GB was publically announced during the Easynet presentation to the City.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Murdoch stated that HD launch will be in Spring.
    He emphasised that boxes won't be significantly subsidised. He claimed that with people buying £1000+ TV sets, Sky considers that customers will be prepared to pay for a "reasonably priced" set-top box. He also confirmed that there would be an additional subscription for HD, although he didn't say what it would be!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rab C wrote:
    Pysically the disk is 300GB, but partioned 140GB push VOD and 160GB usable planner.

One hundred and forty thousand million bytes... of stuff you don't want. Unbeflippinglievable.

Chip
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Looks like they'll have a lot of boxes left on the shelf>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've managed to get my Xbox 360 streaming to my 40" Sony Bravia, with lots of HD clips and I've been demonstrating to friends and neighbours.

My conclusion so far is that, although I am really keen to invest, many people agree the picture is "very clear" but they don't seem to have a strong desire to go out and buy Sky HD. There is much more interest in upgrading TVs for the benefit of style and smaller footprints. I suspect that there will be many owners of LCDs and Plasma that don't bother to get HD.

Overall, once Sky services the early adopters, I think that the take-up of Sky HD will be relatively modest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've been running several HD clips through my 42 inch plasma from my Windows Media Centre PC (Via DVI) and the image clarity is utterly awesome particuarly on 'nature' style clips involving vivid colour and scenery

I've downloaded most of the clips from the Microsoft HD website but if any of you were unaware they were there and have a reasonably powerful Media Centre PC, they are worth a look

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx

Although obviously different hardware with Sky HD, it may help to swing the odd decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote:
    One hundred and forty thousand million bytes... of stuff you don't want. Unbeflippinglievable.

Chip

Well considering that HD movies will take up twice as much space as a SD movie (approx) then having a higher reserved space makes some sense.
    While PPV HD movies may not interst everyone they will certainly interest many who buy SKY+ HD if only to get the latest movies and not the 12month+ that will be on the normal subscription channels.

Having them stored locally also makes it a more user friendly service, would be nice to have this user defined though for those who do not want this aspect of the service be it HD or SD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rab C wrote:

Got the pdf from cjgpers post.