Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    He has been quoted in the press comparing Derek to Jesus.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/feb/02/ricky-gervais-interview-derek-comedy

I thought he was going for a "holy fool" like Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

Or maybe he was just impersonating a "mong", thought he could get away with it, then realised he couldn't.

But I definitely think he should retreat back behind that veil of irony.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    cuza wrote: »
    But the haters still haven't answered the question. Why, if you hate it so much, do you continue to watch?

If you hate Gervais and think Derek is crap, why in the name of God do you carry on watching?

I hate prawns. So I don't eat them. I can't stand jazz. So I don't listen to it. I'm not a Bond fan, so that's one dvd I won't be getting.

Is it because you need to know what's happening in the episodes so you can come up with withering criticism to post on here?

Like internet trolls, do you thrive on controversy and inflammatory comments?

It's a genuine question cos I'm really puzzled by it.
    Why do you care?
    Either skip past the posts, ignore the user or counter the points made.
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    In the 'Making of Derek' programme Karl said he had only ever cried at two films, Kes being one, what was the other one?
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The Elephant Man.
    Lucky that you watched it or else you wouldn't have been able to answer that ;)
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Lucky that you watched it or else you wouldn't have been able to answer that ;)

I could have had a good guess as I already knew from Karl's other TV work that those two films are his favourites.

He was the reason I watched that programme BTW, as well as Derek itself, and the reason I watched The Ricky Gervais Show and An Idiot Abroad, no-one watches those two shows for Ricky Gervais who does nothing but bully/ laugh at Karl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I liked how the rapper guy always had headphones around his neck to show that he is 'urban'. This is the kind of subtlety that makes Derek so brilliant.
    Forum Member
    I could have had a good guess as I already knew from Karl's other TV work that those two films are his favourites.

He was the reason I watched that programme BTW, as well as Derek itself, and the reason I watched The Ricky Gervais Show and An Idiot Abroad, no-one watches those two shows for Ricky Gervais who does nothing but bully/ laugh at Karl.
    Talking about him laughing at Karl. I noticed in the Making Of then all the times he was shown hysterically laughing not one other person around him seemed to be laughing or even raising a smile.
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you care?

Cos the spiteful prattle is getting on my f*****g wick.

Which, i'm guessing, is the intention.

So objective achieved.

And it wasn't directed at you, so i have to ask, why do you care?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the haters still haven't answered the question. Why, if you hate it so much, do you continue to watch?

If you hate Gervais and think Derek is crap, why in the name of God do you carry on watching?

I hate prawns. So I don't eat them. I can't stand jazz. So I don't listen to it. I'm not a Bond fan, so that's one dvd I won't be getting.

Is it because you need to know what's happening in the episodes so you can come up with withering criticism to post on here?

Like internet trolls, do you thrive on controversy and inflammatory comments?

It's a genuine question cos I'm really puzzled by it.

But the 'haters', as you say, aren't obliged to answer any questions. Because that's not what the thread is about or for.
    In fact it's this very type of personal engagement which gets threads closed down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is someone or something on telly that I can't stand, then I ignore it.

I don't continue to watch it and gleefully slag it off. Why would I want to do that?

A case in point is Miranda. While everyone else seemed to think it was so hilarious, I said it was just ridiculous. And I haven't watched it any more for that reason.

So I havent been back on that thread. I don't continue to watch and pour scorn on it all the time. Cos I don't like it!

And, for anyone who likes Karl Pilkington and that's why they watch, then you have to take the rough with the smooth. You want Pilkington, you have to have Gervais as well. It comes with the territory.
    Forum Member
    Why do you care?

So objective achieved.

It's a public message board not a private message. You posted, I read your post, I was interested in your post and replied to it.
    Forum Member
    It's a discussion thread, not a fan thread, people are perfectly entitled to express negative views of the programme and it's creator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the 'haters', as you say, aren't obliged to answer any questions. Because that's not what the thread is about or for.
    In fact it's this very type of personal engagement which gets threads closed down.

Oh I think if you are asked a question and you choose to ignore it then that is very rude :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you care?

So objective achieved.

A lot of spiteful prattle seems to be emanating from you.
    You actually alluded to people who've criticised the show as being like trolls, and are harassing and demanding that people answer your question just on your own petty whim.
    You're not really in a position to point your finger at others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a public message board not a private message. You posted, I read your post, I was interested in your post and replied to it.

Well I read your post and I was just throwing your question back at you.

But I'm bored with it now and I'm going to have my tea :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I think if you are asked a question and you choose to ignore it then that is very rude :rolleyes:

No it's not. It's peoples own business why they choose to watch a programme or not.
    It's off topic and veers off into getting personal.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with Derek. Surely if it's something that you're so desperate to know that you simply need to ask you can use the personal message function can't you?

If somebody doesn't feel like answering your questions about them on a personal level then they're not obliged to.
    No, you have no right to expect any answer. No, they're not rude for not answering, you are for sticking your beak into their personal business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I read your post and I was just throwing your question back at you.

But I'm bored with it now and I'm going to have my tea :yawn:

What are you having for your tea? Who are you having it with? What are you getting up to later? Are you going out for a meal or off to the pub? I just really really need to know:D
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you having for your tea? Who are you having it with? What are you getting up to later? Are you going out for a meal or off to the pub? I just really really need to know:D

I'm a bit pissed so I will be having nothing for my tea but wine.
    Will you lot stop bloody arguing?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you having for your tea? Who are you having it with? What are you getting up to later? Are you going out for a meal or off to the pub?:D

Pork chops. All alone (because I'm an argumentative git). Tonight I shall be watching the soaps. No drink for me tonight, I have to be up for work at 5.30.

See, I'm not an ogre. I'm quite happy to answer your questions :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I'm a bit pissed so I will be having nothing for my tea but wine.
    Will you lot stop bloody arguing?.

I will now.
    Enjoy the wine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pork chops. All alone (because I'm an argumentative git). Tonight I shall be watching the soaps. No drink for me tonight, I have to be up for work at 5.30.

See, I'm not an ogre. I'm quite happy to answer your questions :)

I didn't really want to know. But as long as we're all happy that's all that matters.

:)
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member

I do actually, that's where the majority of the humour comes from.
    Forum Member
    I do actually, that's where the majority of the humour comes from.

Well it's true that when Gervais laughs it encourages you to laugh but you don't watch those shows for him, in terms of funny stories on badly-named The Ricky Gervais Show he actually contributes least.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I really do watch for him! (well, listen to be more accurate, the animation is a ****ing pile of shit that subtracts humour from the whole thing, so I stick to the audios) None of the stories are inherently funny in particular, it's his reaction (whether it's laughter, faux anger, taunting of karl, etc) that I get my amusement from.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I am a fan of most of RGs other stuff, particularly The Office, Lifes Too Short, his stand up and Cemetery Junction. I've been watching Derek in two minds. Some of it is charming, some of it funny, but I have to say that the sentimentality is far too obvious and it could do with accepting that its audience has some intelligence. Too many things are spelled out (two instances of chavs 'realising the gift of old people' and another two instances of residents' families being uncaring).

It feels as though the whole thing should have been a one-off, not drawn out over a series. We get it, old people have a lot to offer, have done a lot of living and deserve respect (all of which any decent person knew anyway).
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some episodes are better than other but I like the sentimentally. A few episodes have made me shed a tear at the end. I watched this weeks earlier, I didn't find the rap at the end as touching as previous episodes. I could see what RG was trying to achieve but wasn't too funny.

I enjoyed the making of as well.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is someone or something on telly that I can't stand, then I ignore it.

I don't continue to watch it and gleefully slag it off. Why would I want to do that?

A case in point is Miranda. While everyone else seemed to think it was so hilarious, I said it was just ridiculous. And I haven't watched it any more for that reason.

So I havent been back on that thread. I don't continue to watch and pour scorn on it all the time. Cos I don't like it!

And, for anyone who likes Karl Pilkington and that's why they watch, then you have to take the rough with the smooth. You want Pilkington, you have to have Gervais as well. It comes with the territory.

Anyone can be a critic, it takes nil talent to slate somebody else's work (and is rarely done well). The fact is that some people waste countless hours hammering out tens of thousands of posts on a tinpot forum criticising the work of those who have a creative ability, talent and level of success that they can't even dream about.

What the motivation is to continue to watch a programme to criticise, unpaid, is beyond me. Do these people enjoy pissing on other's chips in real life? Do they constantly seek attention? Do they have any friends?