Options

Steve Penk quits Revolution Breakfast

occyoccy Posts: 65,148
Forum Member
✭✭
The Revolution owner Steve Penk has announced on-air that he’s handing over the Breakfast show to Elliot Eastwick, as part of a new schedule.

Oldham Chronicle
He’s been on-air at the station he bought in 2008 for almost five years, in which time he’s become a Reverend, played Van Halen’s ‘jump’ when news of a suicide attempt held up traffic on the M60, and doubled the audience of within three years.
The new schedule puts Big Al, who was sacked from the station in 2011 after an apparent fall-out, back on a daily show, followed by Brendan Kearney on drivetime.

There’s no mention of Steve’s departure online and we’re awaiting a statement from the station to find out if there are any further changes at the Oldham station.

Radio Today.

I think he does Breakfast for the studios, but I think he has a studio at home too?

Comments

• Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Or alternatively, Steve Penk In Another Desperate Publicity Stunt shocker.

Whatever happened to his big idea of hiring out his pub for parties?
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stand by for the following newspaper story once he's back off holiday:

"Oldham needs me! I'm back by popular demand" says DJ.

Steve Penk today announced his return to the breakfast airwaves of Radio Revolution 96.2 (sic), just 1/2/3/4 weeks (delete as applicable) after he sensationally resigned and handed over his popular (sic) show to Elliot Eastwick.

"Everywhere I went people were begging me to come back" said the award-winning (sic) DJ. "How could I let them down?"

Of course there's always a slim chance that he's finally realised that playing radio on a small-time Sallie that's about to be up against Heart, Capital, Smooth and Key 103 is pointless.
  • Options
    Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Groan.

Desperation isn't it?
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or alternatively, Steve Penk In Another Desperate Publicity Stunt shocker.

Whatever happened to his big idea of hiring out his pub for parties?

It might be too busy with regular customers.
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What The Revolution needs more than anything else is a clear music policy instead of the bizarre mix of all sorts they put out at present. I doubt there are many people who genuinely want to hear Bruno Mars played alongside The Dooleys.

And considering the station is still probably associated with its days running an alternative format, it should've been completely relaunched with a new name when Penk took over.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Now prank telephone calls are frowned upon it was only a matter of time.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it helped that when Xfm Manchester launched, The Rev suddenly lost it's niche in the market.

Penky can be credited for increasing their audience slightly, yet in a market where you're competing with Key 103, Smooth and Real, it's not easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very funny his wind up shows are and breakfast. Still a master of wind ups. Like his shows when I listen online.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    he only did 3 days a week and was off all the school holidays
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was running the station, if he is concentrating 100% on what he can do from the top then that's where the station needs him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're only going to do 3 shows a week, you might as well not bother at all.

I used to detest it when Chris Evans decided to have Friday's off - it really spoilt the feel of the show.

Although not a listener, I loved the possibilities offered when Steve Peak brought the station. There was even talk at one time of the company buying up stations in other regions and consolidating some of the shows. I suspect the recession and loss of income from the COI has really made things tough.

Personally, I get almost all my entertainment from YouTube these days. 'Time was you relied on your radio for the latest music, background listening and cheap entertainment. Not anymore, for the most lucrative demographics.
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dapa wrote: »

Personally, I get almost all my entertainment from YouTube these days. 'Time was you relied on your radio for the latest music, background listening and cheap entertainment. Not anymore, for the most lucrative demographics.

This is true. Look at the average hours for young focused stations and the numbers are horrendous. Radio 1. 1Xtra, Kiss, Capital, Juice.........6 a week give or take.

Soon as the 'heritage' jocks and their equally aging listeners retire and die off it's all over I fear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    He drives back Monday morning, and goes back to London Wednesday after the show. Steve Penk was not in any way running it on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    Emily_MooreEmily_Moore Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Sean Park wrote: »
    He drives back Monday morning, and goes back to London Wednesday after the show. Steve Penk was not in any way running it on a day to day basis.

Far be it from me to discuss someone's living arrangements, but what exactly is so bad about Lancashire that Steve Penk has to race back to London every week despite owning and running a radio station in Oldham?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Far be it from me to discuss someone's living arrangements, but what exactly is so bad about Lancashire that Steve Penk has to race back to London every week despite owning and running a radio station in Oldham?

I know 'someone' there so know this is certainly what he does.He doesn't want his kids being brought up, up north. I am not joking.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have to respect family life as private, but found this
    http://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/radio-dj-steve-penk-on-his-perfect-surrey-weekend-10073/
    I've always been a home boy and hate being away, but I have big plans for my company Wind-Up Media and ownership of more radio stations will follow... The next one in Surrey?
    Wonder if he is thinking of buying radio Jackie to add to the Revolution?
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What? Theres places beyond Watford Gap ? ;)
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    We have to respect family life as private, but found this
    http://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/radio-dj-steve-penk-on-his-perfect-surrey-weekend-10073/

Wonder if he is thinking of buying radio Jackie to add to the Revolution?

The article was published in 2009 and the industry has changed so much since then. I very much doubt Tony Collis will sell Radio Jackie to anyone from a group to Steve Penk.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    The article was published in 2009 and the industry has changed so much since then. I very much doubt Tony Collis will sell Radio Jackie to anyone from a group to Steve Penk.

I certainly hope not, Jackie pride themselves on presenters fresh every 2-3 hours who have something to say about the local area, The Revolution seem to have a handful of presenters doing 5 hour shifts.

Collins fought hard to get Radio Jackie heard in SW London and I don't think he'd let it go lightly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean Park wrote: »

It's more understandable, presenting Mon - Weds, if his family is still based down south. But it still makes for a poor proposition for listeners that tune in Mon - Weds. So, perhaps a positive move, leaving breakfast.

With regards to running the station, he has a station manager to do that. It's not completely unreasonable to have a good Skype set up, for management meetings when he's not around.

I was excited about the possibilities when he brought the station, but it's not been of any concern to me in recent years.

If you like tech news / reviews, with a 'zoo' style feel and 100% owned by a presenter who still broadcasts a syndicated weekend show on nearly 200 US national radio stations, may I recommend the http://twit.tv/ | http://www.youtube.com/user/twit video podcasts. These have replaced almost all my radio listening, week to week.
  • Options
    Emily_MooreEmily_Moore Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I certainly hope not, Jackie pride themselves on presenters fresh every 2-3 hours who have something to say about the local area, The Revolution seem to have a handful of presenters doing 5 hour shifts.

Collins fought hard to get Radio Jackie heard in SW London and I don't think he'd let it go lightly.

It is relatively easy to run a radio station in wealthy, leafy SW London and other well off areas. Look at Silk in Cheshire for another example of these small independents faring reasonably well in an affluent TSA.

Much harder to successfully run a stand-alone station in an area like Oldham - which is of course why most have been swallowed up or closed.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thames FM failed, and R Jackie picked up the licence! A lot depends on how the station is run.
    Very much doubt if UKRD will sell Eagle or Eagle extra, other than some community stations, or Breeze, there are no other stations in Surrey.
    Surprised Penk did not apply for Time 106.6 when it's licence was advertised?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought he broadcast from his Surrey home studio? I suppose that can cost sometimes.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    wirewolf wrote: »
    What The Revolution needs more than anything else is a clear music policy instead of the bizarre mix of all sorts they put out at present. I doubt there are many people who genuinely want to hear Bruno Mars played alongside The Dooleys.

And considering the station is still probably associated with its days running an alternative format, it should've been completely relaunched with a new name when Penk took over.

The Dooleys along with Bruno Mars, that's why i listen to The Rev!
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dooleys along with Bruno Mars, that's why i listen to The Rev!

And why 94% of the TSA doesn't.

Penk should be asking himself why his station's audience has fallen from a peak of 52,000 18 months ago to just 32,000 now.

In a TSA of over half a million, that's dreadful. The people of Oldham clearly have no affinity with their local radio station. Even Xfm Manchester with its niche format has a bigger percentage reach.