Options

COM7 mux, Al Jazeera HD - LCN 108

Comments

• Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Winter Hill showing COM7 appearing as a 26th Nov retune event - and at 24kW rather than the 14kW previously suggested. Interesting!

Belmont also has this date. (C33 @ 33.9 kW)
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Local? That's not showing for me.

For some reason they've decided to show the local muxes as extra transmitters, rather than an extra mux column on the usual transmitter grids. No idea why, but the upshot is you have to scroll down to see them, and you won't know there's a local mux available from the transmitter unless you are predicted to get a weak signal.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Dates for COM7 From DIgital Uk Postcode Checker

Black Hill - 26 Nov
    Craigkelly - 10 Dec
    Durris, Angus and Darvel - 2014
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    For some reason they've decided to show the local muxes as extra transmitters, rather than an extra mux column on the usual transmitter grids. No idea why, but the upshot is you have to scroll down to see them, and you won't know there's a local mux available from the transmitter unless you are predicted to get a weak signal.
    Still can't see it anywhere. Are you saying that, if I am predicted to get a good signal, I won't see it at all?
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Dates for COM7 From DIgital Uk Postcode Checker

Black Hill - 26 Nov
    Craigkelly - 10 Dec
    Durris, Angus and Darvel - 2014

10 December for us on Sandy Health as well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still can't see it anywhere. Are you saying that, if I am predicted to get a good signal, I won't see it at all?

Oops, no, bad wording on my part. I meant to say, you'll only see it listed if you can get at least a weak signal.

If you don't see it at all, you're not predicted to receive it. Try the postcode cr02rl and you'll see it listed (twice in this case).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    If you don't see it at all, you're not predicted to receive it. Try the postcode cr02rl and you'll see it listed (twice in this case).
    OK thanks, looks like I won't be getting it then. I'm hardly in London so it's probably no great loss (even though all my local TV news is London-centric).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK thanks, looks like I won't be getting it then. I'm hardly in London so it's probably no great loss (even though all my local TV news is London-centric).

Yes, West Sussex isn't London :), and the multiplex is intentionally restricted to only cover a single town or city (except some locations, which cover a few small nearby towns).

As you note London news isn't relevant, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that if you do get one of the new local channels, it will actually be focused on your area, although whether you get one or not probably depends on what happens for Phase 3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Well, if it's coming from Qatar... :p

I'm sure they have a UK playout centre. They've got London studios.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    10 December for us on Sandy Health as well :)

Yep, same for Divis.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Well according to this:
    http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SZ447865

they will be both HP and VP. Only the local MUX will be HP only. Bet that will change however.
    Yes I've seen that before, but I don't know how accurate it is. The official document suggested HP only, and the DUK site is only showing COM7 for HP, which is now leading me to believe that it will only be HP.
    Sadly, HP with it's varying power levels is no good for me, although I doubt I'd get COM7 reliably at it's low power on either HP or VP anyway.

TBH satellite is the only way to ensure that (a) I'll be able to receive the new channels at all, and (b) they'll be at a strength that wont cause me any problems.

Freeview for me is only good for the few channels I can't get on Freesat, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it at all.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I'm sure they have a UK playout centre. They've got London studios.

Yes, currently in Knightsbridge, moving during 2014 to The Shard
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the intuition was right - the COM7 launch is concurrent with the BBC3/CBBC launch after the Doctor Who 'event'.

Well it did make sense - so much for it all 'slipping to December' :cool:
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do you find this info? is BBC3/CBBC HD starting on 10 December or before? And, where is the postcode checker? What about Winter Hill?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Where do you find this info? is BBC3/CBBC HD starting on 10 December or before? And, where is the postcode checker? What about Winter Hill?

Thanks.

Stick your postcode, house number, and tick the 'detailed view' tickbox here:-

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/

If your transmitter is coming on line for Mux 7 on Nov 26 or Dec 10 it will say 'retune event'

I'm astounded that in 2013 the only way to obtain tx info on planned service is by pissing about entering postcodes into website checkers.

40 years ago, you could ring the BBC and IBA and they'd tell you, and send you whatever data required
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we actually know that COM 7 will launch with all the HD channels in place though? Seems unlikely. It may still be that BBC Three/CBBC HD and BBC Four/CBeebies HD will launch together on 10/12/2013, even if the former could technically launch earlier on BBC B.

We'll probably know more in the coming weeks - there'll be satellite tests to watch out for and they'll give us a clue as to how close the launches are.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Do we actually know that COM 7 will launch with all the HD channels in place though? Seems unlikely. It may still be that BBC Three/CBBC HD and BBC Four/CBeebies HD will launch together on 10/12/2013, even if the former could technically launch earlier on BBC B.

We'll probably know more in the coming weeks - there'll be satellite tests to watch out for and they'll give us a clue as to how close the launches are.

I'd imagine the placeholders would be in place - especially give then it's launching on Belmont on the day that people will start rescanning for local tv....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    40 years ago, you could ring the BBC and IBA and they'd tell you, and send you whatever data required
    And how is that easier than bunging your address into a web page?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how is that easier than bunging your address into a web page?

I'd say a more relevant point is that we should be able to download a single document that gives all the transmitters, frequencies, powers and coverage information for the entire UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    I'd say a more relevant point is that we should be able to download a single document that gives all the transmitters, frequencies, powers and coverage information for the entire UK.
    I daresay we'd like that but the average man or woman in the street couldn't care less and just wants to know what they can receive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I daresay we'd like that but the average man or woman in the street couldn't care less and just wants to know what they can receive.

Indeed, so have the postcode checker as well. I said nothing about removing that.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why would DigitalUK see a benefit in providing that? It would be of little interest to the trade (who would be likely to be interested in their own region), of no interest to the public at large, and as such DUK would be unlikely to perceive it as being of benefit.

This is where the amateur reference sites come in, sites that cater for a specific genre (the enthusiast) by aggregating all of that information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    Indeed, so have the postcode checker as well. I said nothing about removing that.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But why would DigitalUK see a benefit in providing that? It would be of little interest to the trade (who would be likely to be interested in their own region), of no interest to the public at large, and as such DUK would be unlikely to perceive it as being of benefit.

Digital UK must have the complete information themselves somewhere so what is the difficulty in publishing it? I suspect they are scared of what we will find.