TV programs shown during the school holidays in the 60/70's

Comments

• conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Land of the Giants
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    dragonzord - all your links are broken; there appears to be another url in front of the youtube url. You can view the vids if you delete the first part. Otherwise good finds!
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bodegg wrote: »
    dragonzord - all your links are broken; there appears to be another url in front of the youtube url. You can view the vids if you delete the first part. Otherwise good finds!

Ok i repost
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    Land of the Giants

I remember that being shown in the same Sunday afternoon slot as two of Irwin Allen's other shows; Lost In Space and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Anyone else remember Whirlybirds about two blokes running a copter firm in the American West?

Certainly do, loved that, why is it never shown?

I will throw one into the hat, usually on lunchtimes. Paint With Nancy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that being shown in the same Sunday afternoon slot as two of Irwin Allen's other shows; Lost In Space and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

I 1st watch lost in space,time tunnel,land of the giant's on sky channel in the mid -80s
  • crash_31_uk2012crash_31_uk2012 Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I believe BBC Scotland made a lot of their own programmes because the school holidays in Scotland were at different times from the rest of the UK.

From my memory of the mid 80's BBC Scotland used to show the first two weeks of holiday programmes whilst the rest of the network was enjoying Test Card F then mid August it was their turn with the noughts and crosses whilst the rest of the country was enjoying Jackanory and Take Hart.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    speigel wrote: »
    Can anyone remember a foreign tv prog, shown during the school hol's in the 1960/70's. Can't remember what it was about, but it had some town with a canal or river running through the centre of it. Was a very wide canal. Never could make out what it was about.
    I know this is a bit vague, but its been on my mind for a while. Thanks in advance

Are you thinking of the Colour Trade Test film that often shown in the afternoons in the early 70s? Giuseppina, the town in that was by a large canal.
  • crash_31_uk2012crash_31_uk2012 Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I remember Sesame St when it was on C4. Obviously this schedule was before the channel began :)

Was the test card girl shown at 11am during the closedown? I was five/six in 81 so it's all a bit vague!

Could you find a school hol schedule for 85 or 86, for example please? Hope you don't mind me asking, I've seen some of the listings you've put up before and I like looking back.

Check out http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I will throw one into the hat, usually on lunchtimes. Paint With Nancy.

If I may correct you on this one it's 'Paint Along with Nancy', and that would be Nancy Kominsky who sadly passed away 3 years ago. I remember being quite mesmerised by this dinner time programme. She famously used a pallette knife rather than a brush to paint with. One of my all time faves and the theme tune takes me right back there.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bodegg wrote: »
    If I may correct you on this one it's 'Paint Along with Nancy', and that would be Nancy Kominsky who sadly passed away 3 years ago. I remember being quite mesmerised by this dinner time programme. She famously used a pallette knife rather than a brush to paint with. One of my all time faves and the theme tune takes me right back there.

Made by HTV West in Bristol between 1974 and 1978 but I don't think it was especially a children's programme, ITV used to do more daytime programming for adults than the BBC in those days.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fizzbin, Giuseppina was it. Now I can sleep!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    From my memory of the mid 80's BBC Scotland used to show the first two weeks of holiday programmes whilst the rest of the network was enjoying Test Card F then mid August it was their turn with the noughts and crosses whilst the rest of the country was enjoying Jackanory and Take Hart.

They definitely didn't back in the 70s; we had to wait until the English school holidays before children's TV started and then a couple of weeks later we were back at school and never got to see how White Horses et al panned out!
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the 70s, but I remember The Monkees being on in the school holidays in the 80s, I used to watch it. I had a little bit of a crush on Davy Jones :D

I didn't believe my wife when she said she wanted to go and see The Monkees in concert in Switzerland, and then I saw her face. Now I'm in Geneva.:D

Lift Off with Ayshea.........'73....?
    Arthur of the Britons - Thursdays HTV.....'73......?
    Catweazle - Sunday teatime '71.....?
    Timeslip - weekday......'71........?
    Roobarb and Custard......'73........?
    Kick Start.......'78.....?
    Vision On.....'71....
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    I 1st watch lost in space,time tunnel,land of the giant's on sky channel in the mid -80s

They were all shown on C4 in the late 80s/early 90s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were all shown on C4 in the late 80s/early 90s

Channel 4 must have all aired them,but I watch them on the SKY channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why Don't You clearly wasn't very successful in getting children to turn off the TV and go and do something else - it ran from 1972 to 1995:D
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They definitely didn't back in the 70s; we had to wait until the English school holidays before children's TV started and then a couple of weeks later we were back at school and never got to see how White Horses et al panned out!

Did anyone complain?

Did you eventually see all of White Horses?

Must admit The Flashing Blade is only remembered for the technical breakdown of the last episode.

Something I read on the old Off The Telly website said the technical issue even defeated the makers of the Dvd version as the original French version was put on in place!

It was only a simple film breakdown surely?

Or was it something more?

( Not kids tv, but my brother picked up a complete set of the Water Margin on Dvd from the market/car boot in Rhyl last weekend. Those of you in the area will know where I mean!)
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member

Thanks, I'll have a look :)
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    I didn't believe my wife when she said she wanted to go and see The Monkees in concert in Switzerland, and then I saw her face. Now I'm in Geneva.:D

Lift Off with Ayshea.........'73....?
    Arthur of the Britons - Thursdays HTV.....'73......?
    Catweazle - Sunday teatime '71.....?
    Timeslip - weekday......'71........?
    Roobarb and Custard......'73........?
    Kick Start.......'78.....?
    Vision On.....'71....

Oh dear, feckit :D
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Did anyone complain?

I was 11! We didn't have the right to complain. If we did, we got a clip round the ear and sent to bed without any supper.[/QUOTE]
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Did you eventually see all of White Horses?

I was using the collective 'we'. White Horses was too girly. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 Friday January 3 1975:

15.55 Play School
    16.20 Jackanory: Ian Ogilvy
    16.35 Search: John Craven looks at three winning films from the 1974 competition
    17.00 Crackerjack with Ed Stewart, Peter Glaze,Marie and Donny Osmond,The Roubettes
    17.40 The Magic Roundabout
    17.45 News

(Wales had its own children's programme at 10.00)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have written before, just look in the newspaper archives. You can get all the BBC and ITV regions and up to 2003 with the Grauniad and now up to 2006 with The Times.

They are available free through many libraries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I have written before, just look in the newspaper archives. You can get all the BBC and ITV regions and up to 2003 with the Grauniad and now up to 2006 with The Times.

They are available free through many libraries.

Can you post links plz.