Options

Sharp Stab Like Pain In Right Side Under Ribcage & In My Back?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone got any idea what could be causing this? It seems to vary between being quite mild or moderate to fairly severe. It seems to hurt when i move from staying in one position for a longtime and when i breath in deeply

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See a doctor.
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be liver pain?
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely go see a doctor asap, but in the meantime I would drink as much water as you can, it helps me when I get pain there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I get this. For me it is muscular pain that translates from back to front. It can be breathtakingly painful. But that is me. Go to a doctor tomorrow.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea what could be causing this? It seems to vary between being quite mild or moderate to fairly severe. It seems to hurt when i move from staying in one position for a longtime and when i breath in deeply

Have you lifted anything heavy, had a coughing or a sneezing episode recently ?

I have got the exact same thing caused by sneezing for about 10min's
    I went to the doctor last Tuesday and he said "Pulled chest muscle" and prescribed Co-Codomol 8/500 strength which turned out to be useless, Went to the UCC yesterday and they said the same but prescribed same Co-Codomol but 30/500 strength which have eased the pain slightly.
  • Options
    ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a pain like this. Went to the chiropractor who diagnosed it as being a damaged nerve caused when lifting a heavy item. Felt better after only one session.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    *Could be gallstones, go see your GP if it persists.

(* Based on my own experience of pain in that area, I am not a medical expert though!)
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible it is kidney stones, but I would see a doctor asap if this pain persists
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the doctor. This pain could be anything from a tweeked muscle to gallstones, kidney stones and any type of infection you can imagine.

You need to look after your kidneys and if you have a "water infection" and ignore it, well it can be life threatening.

Go to your GP and be honest about symptoms and how long you have had them.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Yes go and see your GP asap, it could be lots of things. I have been getting this exact pain a lot recently and the GP said she thought it could be due to my hiatus hernia. I had an x-ray last week and am waiting for a blood test. In the meantime she asked me to take 2 omeprazoles a day instead of 1, and that seems to have fixed it. But as far as you're concerned it could be gall bladder or gallstone problems, twisted nerve, muscular, kidneys, appendix, IBS.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you been putting your liver under too much strain recently? Drinking too much alcohol can compromise your liver. If you have been over doing it too much I would lay off the booze for a while, drink water instead and take milk thistle capsules. Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree, it could be a whole raft of things, but I thought I would mention. As a first step I would see a GP.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    It is possible it is kidney stones, but I would see a doctor asap if this pain persists

OP's pain is in the rib /chest area.
    Kidney stones affect the lower back, (...been there.... had the pain...got the stone....) ;-).
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP's pain is in the rib /chest area.
    Kidney stones affect the lower back, (...been there.... had the pain...got the stone....) ;-).

I disagree read what the OP actually said, no mention of the chest that I can see
    Sharp Stab Like Pain In Right Side Under Ribcage & In My Back?

The kidneys are situated under rhe rib cage which goes around the back is where I got my pain from kidney stones
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kidney+location&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IVKMU4-vC7HB7AaowYHQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=864#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=romcZfAMgX1CnM%253A%3BmD-YbeE3FiH2RM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.paradoja7.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F12%252Fhuman-kidney-location-in-the-body.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.paradoja7.com%252Fhuman-kidney-location-in-the-body%252F%3B1409%3B1600
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I experienced very similar symptoms it turned out to be pleurisy. See your GP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a similar pain for years on and off. Finally got it diagnosed as costochondritis. Have a look here - http://www.patient.co.uk/health/costochondritis

It used to be ok after a few hours, but one day it made taking a breath so painful, I rang the nhs helpline and they thought my lung may have collapsed...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the replies. The sharp stabbing pain seems a lot better today but i don't really feel all that great in general, so will see how i get on over the next few days. If it keeps coming back and isn't going i will see a dr.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. The sharp stabbing pain seems a lot better today but i don't really feel all that great in general, so will see how i get on over the next few days. If it keeps coming back and isn't going i will see a dr.

100% go.
    there are some quite important bits around the right side and if you aren't feeling good its best to get it checked out. the good thing a simple blood test can see how the liver is doing and maybe the doctor will send you for an ultrasound of that area that will check on most of the problems that might be causing this. had you eaten anything fatty before this pain?