Options

Will Sky+ ever allow to rewind past the tune in point?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
Just now the earliest point you can rewind up to is the point where you tuned in. Will Sky ever invent a facility that allows you to rewind to what was on before?

Comments

• Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    The box has to be on for the buffer to record, so technically the box will do that now, just tune in one hour earlier. ;-)
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already invented in two versions - they are called catch-up and +1 channels.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it might come eventually in the future although it will probably be for there next generation platform and won't be on the current generation of boxes. It would almost surely use the Internet connection for the feature.

Iplayer already kind of does this on there website with the live restart option.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on Earth would that even work? The box would either need dozens of tuners recording simultaneously "just in case" you happen to want to use this feature at some point (plus loads of HDD space), or it'd have to grab the data from elsewhere (internet maybe) and somehow seamlessly combine it with the satellite data (not possible unless the data from the internet is the same stream, in which case why bother with tuners at all?).
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    How on Earth would that even work? The box would either need dozens of tuners recording simultaneously "just in case" you happen to want to use this feature at some point (plus loads of HDD space), or it'd have to grab the data from elsewhere (internet maybe) and somehow seamlessly combine it with the satellite data (not possible unless the data from the internet is the same stream, in which case why bother with tuners at all?).

I was thinking along the lines of how I beleive live restart works on Iplayer. The servers have a buffer of the last few hours for each channel. You could select a program from the Tvguide and be given the option of starting from the beginning, in which case the box would connect to the servers via the Internet and stream it to your box.

You could also rewind from live tv and when you reach the end of the boxes buffer be given an option to connect and start streaming and pick up rewinding from that point. Although as you say it won't be perfectly seamless but it would be reasonable and good enough for work.

I highly doubt all channels would support it anytime soon, most likely it would be the main few channels.
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I'm sure this will happen at some point in the future when Cloud DVR (Project Ethan) solutions are in place. Comcast over in the States, are already starting to offer this and they call it Instant On Demand...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    I was thinking along the lines of how I beleive live restart works on Iplayer. The servers have a buffer of the last few hours for each channel. You could select a program from the Tvguide and be given the option of starting from the beginning, in which case the box would connect to the servers via the Internet and stream it to your box.

You could also rewind from live tv and when you reach the end of the boxes buffer be given an option to connect and start streaming and pick up rewinding from that point. Although as you say it won't be perfectly seamless but it would be reasonable and good enough for work.

I highly doubt all channels would support it anytime soon, most likely it would be the main few channels.
    There would be a major problem with Sky's present on demand system as the content would need recoding to their progressive download system before it would be accessible.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »

It's not going to happen 'as such', and assuming it does it wouldn't be anything to do with Sky specifically - it's down solely to the individual broadcasters to make it available on-line as it's been broadcast.

I would suggest though that the UK infrastructure would need considerable upgrading to do so.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some folks here seem to think that being able to rewind before a channel has been tuned is rocket science.

It isn't.

Take Virgin's TiVo for example. If I'm watching something on ITV, flick over to BBC News when the adverts come on, and then flick back to ITV I can rewind and view the bits I missed because, provided a tuner is spare, it will carry on caching the channel last viewed. On Sky+ I can't do that. Even if my 2nd tuner is doing nothing!

That would be a nice feature to have on Sky.

As for features like a backwards EPG the same as Freesat Freetime, Virgin TiVo and YouView, I would like to see that, but it of course depends on Sky's enthusiasm to write and roll out the software, along with the broadcasters signing up for it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Bangers wrote: »
    Some folks here seem to think that being able to rewind before a channel has been tuned is rocket science.

It isn't.

And then proceeds to explain something entirely different, which actually disproves your point :p
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave an example of how such a feature could work.

I never said it would work every time before you tuned in. But if you were watching a channel and came back to it after selecting one other it would.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

It isn't.

Take Virgin's TiVo for example. If I'm watching something on ITV, flick over to BBC News when the adverts come on, and then flick back to ITV I can rewind and view the bits I missed because, provided a tuner is spare, it will carry on caching the channel last viewed. On Sky+ I can't do that. Even if my 2nd tuner is doing nothing!

That would be a nice feature to have on Sky.

As for features like a backwards EPG the same as Freesat Freetime, Virgin TiVo and YouView, I would like to see that, but it of course depends on Sky's enthusiasm to write and roll out the software, along with the broadcasters signing up for it.
    Not what was being asked.

TiVo will not allow you to rewind to an earlier point to when you tuned in.

Your example just shows TiVo will buffer a second channel if the tuner is spare, not record content prior to you tuning in to that channel.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Personally, I've never thought that having a backwards scrolling EPG is that much of an advantage. It's a nice idea in principle, but I suspect in practice it's quicker and easier just to use the search function for something you've missed to see if it's on catch-up.
    I would imagine often, especially if you don't know exactly when it was on, you spend time scrolling backwards through the EPG looking for something, only to then find that it's not available anyway!
    :)
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A five or six tuner box, such as that UPC (Same owners as Virgin Media) are rolling out across Europe (Netherlands, Ireland etc.) could easily have a number of spare tuners dedicated to favourite or recent channels - a significant extension of the Virgin Tivo functionality. IIRC one thing these boxes do is immediately start caching the channels immediately up and down of the viewed one to enable a faster channel change when zapping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    A five or six tuner box, such as that UPC (Same owners as Virgin Media) are rolling out across Europe (Netherlands, Ireland etc.) could easily have a number of spare tuners dedicated to favourite or recent channels - a significant extension of the Virgin Tivo functionality. IIRC one thing these boxes do is immediately start caching the channels immediately up and down of the viewed one to enable a faster channel change when zapping.

So it would need 6 cables from the dish OR 4 cables and a built in multiswitch OR 3 SCR cables from a suitable lnb OR one optical cable, an optical lnb and in built optical multiswitch. Hardly cheap or practical at present. Remember Virgin, UPC etc are cable companies and cable boxes only require one cable to feed multiple tuners whereas satellite receivers require one feed per tuner.
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    markmag wrote: »
    A five or six tuner box, ....

I think the ship has sailed now on multi tuner/centralised server boxes. The future is going to be Cloud based tuners/storage now with IP connected clients, like it or love it...!