LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petrie Hosken is absolutely dreadful, what an awful, awful show. She is way out of her depth and her faux outrage is transparent. Incompetent, boring, shrill and ill informed on every topic she discusses. Rubbish.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that Andrew Gilligan (ex-LBC, to stay on topic) is still gunning for the Mayor of Tower Hamlets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10993065/Industrial-scale-fraud-in-mayors-victory.html
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's keeping Kay Burley away for the second week running? I'm rather hoping she's been permanently detained elsewhere. Perhaps chin has put her in his dungeon. :o

I am putting the sawdust down now as we speak! :D
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »

Ohhh. So it does work sometimes. ;-)
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member
    Good to see that Andrew Gilligan (ex-LBC, to stay on topic) is still gunning for the Mayor of Tower Hamlets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10993065/Industrial-scale-fraud-in-mayors-victory.html

Excellent news, I've been following that one quite closely. So has Iain Dale on his show. Hopefully he'll pick up on it again this week. Especially if the High Court hearing goes against Rahman.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petrie Hosken is absolutely dreadful, what an awful, awful show. She is way out of her depth and her faux outrage is transparent. Incompetent, boring, shrill and ill informed on every topic she discusses. Rubbish.

Absolutely. The word that always springs to mind for me when PH is on is 'sanctimonious'.
    Poor talk radio, and not even scratching the surface of what they're trying to discuss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old apples and pears Larry the so-called Lamb doing his dreary Mockney act as usual. I will never understand how this bumbling buffoon occupies a weekly slot on LBC. Sunday is a no-go zone.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mere sound of Hosken's voice drives me nuts. And I'd like to add the childish and nauseating ads to the mix if I may.

The worst ones are:

Going on about overloading your electric socket in a Bolton/Lancashire accent,

A kid crying and then being 'consoled' by her mum who conveniently mentions the name of a solicitor in a really pathetic manner

A Geordie bloke doing his work experience in Tanzania

And the guy using all his vocal energy to advertise Talk Talk in a Liverpudlian/Lancashire/Manchester accent.

Eurgh! - I'm sure there'll be many more to follow :(

EDIT: just remembered that BMW ad with the guy reading out literally all the terms and conditions in one monotone voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. The word that always springs to mind for me when PH is on is 'sanctimonious'.
    Poor talk radio, and not even scratching the surface of what they're trying to discuss.

Don't agree but -

WELCOME BACK! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mere sound of Hosken's voice drives me nuts. And I'd like to add the childish and nauseating ads to the mix if I may.

The worst ones are:

A kid crying and then being 'consoled' by her mum who conveniently mentions the name of a solicitor in a really pathetic manner

And the guy using all his vocal energy to advertise Talk Talk in a Liverpudlian/Lancashire/Manchester accent.

It makes a change from all the Cockney geezers who shop at Wickes, buy commercial transport and recommend various cab firms. And hopefully it will stop posters complaining that LBC is too London focussed. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't agree but -

WELCOME BACK! :D

Thank you, g-s. I do dip in here from time to time but, as you know, I haven't posted for quite a while...
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

The worst ones are:

EDIT: just remembered that BMW ad with the guy reading out literally all the terms and conditions in one monotone voice.

Is it the ad you object to, or the regional accent?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst ones are:

Yes, the general lcd of the ads is quite appalling. What grates on my nerves especially is the sound effects.
    For example, do we really need a constantly beeping car for a minicab ad? What are we, Thomas the Tank Engine/Postman Pat age? In which case, presumably we'd be too young to apply for the job of minicab driver.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's keeping Kay Burley away for the second week running? I'm rather hoping she's been permanently detained elsewhere. Perhaps chin has put her in his dungeon. :o

The prayers of LBC listeners?
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old apples and pears Larry the so-called Lamb doing his dreary Mockney act as usual. I will never understand how this bumbling buffoon occupies a weekly slot on LBC. Sunday is a no-go zone.

Maybe because he's very popular and has increased the audience for the time slot since he took it over.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I heard her show recently she has upped the "i want to talk you about" and the outrage.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Is it the ad you object to, or the regional accent?

The way the ads are produced seem very cheap and unprofessional. It looks as if they were put together in about 5 mins in some sort of back office.

And re. the accents; why not use one that the majority won't complain about? like a standard one? i.e. the ones we hear on the TV?
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    The prayers of LBC listeners?

I wish the power of prayer was that strong!, when Kay is on the show you know there are no disasters worth reporting on that week,:D
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member

The worst ones are:

A point well made. See my post 2558 from yesterday:-
    Nosedive wrote: »
    "It's not hard to overload an electrical socket....."
    "The number 24 bus. This used to be my daily commute...."

I am now at cringe and switch off status with these commercials.

It's been mentioned on here before with the 'blood in your pee' adverts; or the cold weather 'put on an extra layer' ads appearing in May for instance, but with such intense repetition rates one really has to question the budget allocations of such public service campaigns. Particularly in recent times where austerity and public sector spending cuts were apparently an issue. LBCs overall advert cycle may have increased since going DAB wide again but I don't think it's just that.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite handsome, methinks !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A caller expressed doubt about the the reported version of events on 9/11 on the Shelagh Fogerty show just now. Immediately cut off.
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

But look at the alternative, Kay Burley :o. PH has to be an improvement?
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I am putting the sawdust down now as we speak! :D

That's the one chin. Don't forget the manacles! :D
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    The way the ads are produced seem very cheap and unprofessional. It looks as if they were put together in about 5 mins in some sort of back office.

And re. the accents; why not use one that the majority won't complain about? like a standard one? i.e. the ones we hear on the TV?

The majority aren't complaining. Just you.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, Shelagh Fogarty's first hour today was Leading Britain's Zionists. A horrible hour of radio to listen to.
This discussion has been closed.