Ea Announces Subscription Service On Xbox One: Ea Access

Comments

• SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vault is interesting but the 10% off digital is just a scam if you ask me. Why would you buy digital even with 10% off when you will own the game anyway? (when its added to the vault). When it is added it you cant sell it on as its digital. So your £20 sub + £54 with no way of selling on. You could buy retail £40 and sell it on before its going into the vault. That is what I would be doing.

I can also see the price of retail EA vault games selling for next to nothing too. Why would I pay over £4 for a vault game when I could get month sub and play it and more.

Early release sounds good but they will have to limit the hours you can play, otherwise you could finish games for free. I would expect maybe 2 hours for some games if you are lucky. Not FIFA or Madden though. I'm talking single player games.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    The vault is interesting but the 10% off digital is just a scam if you ask me. Why would you buy digital even with 10% off when you will own the game anyway? (when its added to the vault). When it is added it you cant sell it on as its digital. So your £20 sub + £54 with no way of selling on. You could buy retail £40 and sell it on before its going into the vault. That is what I would be doing..

It works with DLC also, so there are other ways of saving money. I have friends that spend a fortune playing Ultimate team for example, so this will save them quite a bit over a year.

Early release sounds good but they will have to limit the hours you can play, otherwise you could finish games for free. I would expect maybe 2 hours for some games if you are lucky. Not FIFA or Madden though. I'm talking single player games.

EA have done something like this before. I can't remember what it was called, but i can clearly remember having free trials of games. I played the free trial of Fifa 12 and can remember that it was the full game for unlimited time, but the game didn't have any online play or Ultimate team. I do agree however that games like Dragon Age will need to be restricted as people will just book a couple of days off and complete the full game.

All in all it's just £20 for a full year. Even if it turns out to be a terrible, i don't think many will feel hard done by spending that kind of money.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Just reading some of the comments on other sites and the DS article about it. Amazes me even something like this which seems like a bargain gets trolled :(.

It's the Xbox One. Consoles wars seem to be more prevalent then they've ever been and people will find reasons to dis value anything that Microsoft endorses. I'm not saying that everyone's comment on this is due to this, but i can guess that a lot are. It would probably be the same if this was Sony exclusive.

Slightly related but I got banned from Neogaf last month for the most ridiculous reason ever. I wasn't in anyway biased or insulting. I simply pointed out that someones comment bashing the Xbox one was factually incorrect and when i came back i found out i was banned. Quite funny really. I don't appear to fit in with the clique there.:blush:
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Why 12 months? Have EA confirmed these 4 games are it for a year?

It's not that, there isn't much available on this gen at the moment, as this is just EA, I can't see a great deal of games coming soon. I'm very particular about my games and sports games are something I don't play. Battlefield isn't really for me either, so until the back catalogue builds up there is very little to interest me, not enough to make me want to pay up anyway.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I signed up last night before work, downloaded madden and peggle 2. I will still buy dragons age when it comes out so I will save £6 on the digi content. So £14 for a years rental is not bad for games that I would not buy but would like to try. I wonder if the price will shoot up when it goes mainstream?
  • GeeEmGeeEm Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Is there any other way to pay for this, I am only given the option to pay by credit/debit card. Can we not use our microsoft points/money?
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    smcbeath wrote: »
    I signed up last night before work, downloaded madden and peggle 2. I will still buy dragons age when it comes out so I will save £6 on the digi content. So £14 for a years rental is not bad for games that I would not buy but would like to try. I wonder if the price will shoot up when it goes mainstream?

I thought it was £20 for a year?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £20 minus the £6 saving he mentions = £14.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeeEm wrote: »
    Is there any other way to pay for this, I am only given the option to pay by credit/debit card. Can we not use our microsoft points/money?

Got the beta for this, even though I opted out of the beta program and deleted the app, I still get the early firmware updates and now this EA thing.
    Never looked at the payment section myself. Are you sure there's no option for MS$ or even PayPal? I hate having to put my cards on my consoles.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    £20 minus the £6 saving he mentions = £14.

Sorry I'm a bit thick so bear with me.

Buy digital dragon age off the store save 10% so pay £54 for that but it's still £20 a year for the rest of the stuff.

Dragons ages isn't one of the games available to play for that £20 a year is it?
  • GeeEmGeeEm Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Got the beta for this, even though I opted out of the beta program and deleted the app, I still get the early firmware updates and now this EA thing.
    Never looked at the payment section myself. Are you sure there's no option for MS$ or even PayPal? I hate having to put my cards on my consoles.

Got the beta also, but when trying to sign up it just asks for a credit card which like you don't really want to do, apparently when it goes to a full launch subscriptions will be sold at places like GAME, but can't find any info on any other websites about alternative methods of payment :o
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dragons ages isn't one of the games available to play for that £20 a year is it?

it will be but you will probably have to wait till this time next year for it to appear on EA access
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    It works with DLC also, so there are other ways of saving money. I have friends that spend a fortune playing Ultimate team for example, so this will save them quite a bit over a year.

That is a good point, but their season pass is 20% off Ultimate packs and the friends I have that are FUT crazy get the season pass. So I wonder what will happen in FIFA 15.
    Forum Member
    it will be but you will probably have to wait till this time next year for it to appear on EA access

Yep, sorry, and its probably me still being thick, I am still trying to work out where the poster is getting his £14 a year from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Yep, sorry, and its probably me still being thick, I am still trying to work out where the poster is getting his £14 a year from.

Just back from work bud. So I pay £20 now, I am defo buying dragons age at launch, £60 for digital copy minus 10% saving, £6 saving of what will be a fixed price for the digital game.

Basically if you buy 4 games @ £60, you will save £24 and be up by £4 from your initial £20 fee:)

I paid for the ea service via payapl, shame I couldn't use my points. I have had a quick look to see if I can turn off auto renew for ea access but cant find it on xbox.com.

Dragons age is pictured in the sign up on xbox, but as someone else said it will probably not be classed as a "vault" game for 12 months, so wont be available until july/august next year, along with fifa 15 etc.

I am expecting these games to be available over the first 12 months, anything else would be a bonus

So now you get -

bf4 - own
    fifa 14 - own
    madden 25
    peggle 2

To come / in the picture on the sign up page

dragons age - I will buy at launch
    nba live 14
    plants v zombies
    need for speed
    ufc
    Forum Member
    Nice one mate, cheers, I get it now :)
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    My fear with this is that you will need EA Access to play EA games online. I can see EA doing this :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just signed up for the beta, £20 a year was to good to pass up despite already having FIFA 14 on the xbox one and Battlefield on the PS4.

I know the argument being thrown around is that if this takes off then other publishers would do the same thing then before you know it you have to pay eight publishers x amount of pounds a year just to access their paticular vaults.

I am willing to give EA a chance on this one as there is just so much content in their respective vault and the discounts on DLC (which EA is very infamous for their DLC content) so will save me well over £20 a year.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't pay EA £20 for early access etc etc, but i honestly think Sony should let its customers decide if the £20 a year or £3.99 a month is value to them.

But because it's EA, i will let them off :)
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly i would have liked sony to have given me the choice of subscribing to it on my ps4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the price will go up after the beta, when it is available to everyone.

£20 for the year
    or £4 x 12 months = £48

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes up by £10 or so.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    I don't appear to fit in with the clique there.:blush:

They don't call it SonyGAF for no reason ;) Of course they're going to hug Sony even though they are being denied the choice, at least Microsoft is willing to let gamers make the mistake of throwing money at EA and getting screwed over, if things go well, EA were apparently looking to port Origin to consoles, so you could buy EA games directly through their app instead of it being tied to your Xbox or PSN account.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt you will get the latest games on this service. That would totally devalue the latest releases. You could just sub for a couple of months to get all latest releases.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    My fear with this is that you will need EA Access to play EA games online. I can see EA doing this :/
    I can foresee the same thing happening here too. In the history of paywalling media content, it usually goes along a path of offering a plentiful service and incentive for a low price point at the beginning and then place more things behind a paywall whilst increasing the price. Sky did this with great success for English satellite channels in the 90s, online newspaper websites are doing it, It happened with XBox Live, Playstation Plus, Netflix, Spotify and I suspect EA, alongside other companies, will do the same if EA Access becomes a success.

I have a niggling feeling we are moving toward the paywalling of mainstream video gaming in the same way Sky paywalled satellite TV with great success, Spotify with streaming music with the same level of success, as with Netflix with movies. Time will tell if my suspicions become true.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can foresee the same thing happening here too. In the history of paywalling media content, it usually goes along a path of offering a plentiful service and incentive for a low price point at the beginning and then place more things behind a paywall whilst increasing the price. Sky did this with great success for English satellite channels in the 90s, online newspaper websites are doing it, It happened with XBox Live, Playstation Plus, Netflix, Spotify and I suspect EA, alongside other companies, will do the same if EA Access becomes a success.

I have a niggling feeling we are moving toward the paywalling of mainstream video gaming in the same way Sky paywalled satellite TV with great success, Spotify with streaming music with the same level of success, as with Netflix with movies. Time will tell if my suspicions become true.

If they did this i'd never play BF again, just like i've never watched shit on sky.