Anybody know what Dyspraxia is?

13»

Comments

• davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mild dyspraxia which I was diagnosed with as a young child. I had speech problems when I was younger and needed speech therapy. I'm terrible at maths, and my memory is awful too...:o post it notes are awesome. My hand to eye coordination is pretty bad as well. I've tried driving the once and I was really bad at it! I may try again at some point, but it really knocked my confidence and I know I'll struggle getting back into it. I love the familiar and I love my routine - I've always found it difficult to try new things and to be positive and confident about trying new things. I've always needed a lot of encouragement.

I don't know if it's linked to my dyspraxia but I have quite obsessive behaviour. When I was younger, I copied the TV guide every week in my notepad. I copied the TV guide word for word week after week after week. I also loved washing lines :o ... I put up a washing line in every room of the house and each washing line had to have certain type of clothing on each one! As I got older, my obsessive behaviour is nowhere near as bad as it was. I do love TV box sets though and collecting them and watching the same episodes of TV shows over and over again. I love Bad Girls, Jonathan Creek, Silent Witness and Waking the Dead and I rewatch the episodes over and over again.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it.
    I have trouble using my hands like tying things together etc like knots... and don't hold a pen correctly and I draw like 10 year old as well? ... [...]Also panic with directions

Sounds like me! I also have trouble using cutlery, can't tie shoelaces and am unable to drive due to coordination problems. Dyspraxia also affects my balance so I sometimes walk like I'm drunk! Do any other people here with dyspraxia have noise sensitivity? I've never known with me whether it was down to the dyspraxia or another condition I have.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ You may bemoan the common diagnoses (that's probably not the right plural!) of Autism and ADHD and I agree in part. It does seem that people need to label someone if they're not quite what's perceived to be normal. However, as someone with Dyspraxia, I can assure you that it is a real condition, with neurological links, and goes beyond the simple perception of 'clumsiness'.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son was diagnosed with it when he was 15 and I was relieved to have a label on it because for years it was sheer hell living with a child who was chaotic and frustrated. I knew there was something not right but couldn't put my finger on it.

Once he was diagnosed he was given extra time in exams and guess what he refused to take it as he said his mates would laugh at him :mad:

He finished uni 3 yrs ago with a 2:1 and is now working as a camera man. He still can't multi task and looses concentration easily but has learnt to cope with it
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They weren't asking what it is, I'm sure they were asking if the 'general public' (DS) knows what it is.
    Whilst my daughter has a range of conditions Dyspraxia isn't one of them, but we've done enough reading around the general area to have read about it. Plus my wife works at a special school with a number of children with a range of conditions so she has encountered it there.

So personally yes I have heard of it.

I would guess that the "general public" on the other hand have no idea what it is, but then most medical conditions will mean nothing to the general public until they have them explained to them or they encounter them personally.

Why should they? Do people have an in depth knowledge of Rhet Syndrome, Pervasive Development Disorder, Canavan Disease, Tuberous Sclerosis, Noonan Syndrome, CEP, Krabbe Disease and many, many, many more? Of course not. Even trained medical staff don't know about every condition.

I wouldn't expect people to hae heard of my daughters main condition (Tuberous Sclerosis) which is why I generally answer passing questions of "what does she have" with the knock on effects of epilepsy, autism, ADHD and learning delay because people at least have some idea what they are.

Once we were in hospital with her and I wandered past the nurses station to see the doctor who was doing rounds checking up online about Tuberous Sclerosis. He was Googling her condiion. :D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Now ducking from the onslaught of people who suffer from these conditions - or whose kids apparently do.
    I feel so stupid and gulible now, fancy listening to the Head of Neurology at Kings College Hospital (world reknowned teaching centre for neurology) when he diagnosed my daughter when all along I should have been listening to MARYTM8.

What a fool I've been.

Clearly because this condition has had a name attached to it it's clearly made up. Like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which was officially named in 1980. Clearly this is a made up condition and in thousands of years of human warfare and disasters no one has ever suffered from this. Clearly anyone who claims to suffer from it is just a coward and should be shot like they were in the war.

Thank you MARYTM8, I will immediately take my daughter off all seven of her medications since there's nothing wrong with her.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel radcliffe has dyspraxia

Is driving hard with Dyspraxia? .. I haven't learnt yet

Driving with Dyspraxia is perfectly possible but takes a lot of time and dedication to learn. I learned the same as everyone else but it was probably longer for me than anyone else to be comfortable with all the routines but if you're prepared to put in the hours you'll get there!
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Driving with Dyspraxia is perfectly possible but takes a lot of time and dedication to learn. I learned the same as everyone else but it was probably longer for me than anyone else to be comfortable with all the routines but if you're prepared to put in the hours you'll get there!

I passed the driving test but it took me a long time. It wasnt the physical co-ordination side that made it so hard for me, though sure it took a while to learn, for instance how to do the biting point but that presumably takes everyone a while to get the feel for and judge it. For me, it was the test scenario I really struggled with, I ended up having hypnotherapy to help and I passed after that but it took me many, many attempts to pass. It was the fact I knew I was being judged on everything I was doing, that whether I passed or failed was based purely on that one drive, that I had to do everything exactly right and having the examiner in the high viz vest and noting everything, I over thought situations, hesitated when I shouldn't have and so on, I couldnt deal with it very well, panicked and would make mistakes. Driving normally like on a regular lesson or with my dad in his car, I was fine with.

It took me maybe a couple of years, or 2-3 years, to learn to drive physically competently (I still remember when I thought how do people change gears all the time? and how do you know what gear your in without staring at the gear stick? that amazed me but I do it automatically now, of course!) but I really couldnt cope with the exam scenario, so yeah it took me many attempts to pass but it wasnt because I was a bad driver or couldnt drive. I didnt even attempt the practical test until I could do all the maneouvres and everything, it took me many years to get there, I could drive in lessons fine, do everything suitably but still badly struggle with the test itself.

I've had my full license for over 6 years and not received any points, I've not been done for speeding or received a parking fine, nothing. I think its the same as with other issues, you just have to have patience and allow yourself plenty of time to practice and have regular practice, keep working at it with someone who has time (like my dad luckily did) and you can get there. If I had found it really hard to co-ordinate with the pedals, I believe its possible to do the test in an automatic car and get a driving license that allows you to drive automatic cars? so that could have been an alternative.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Tbh ive heard of it but i wouldnt actually know what it is, how its diagnosed and what the symptoms are.

The only person ive heard of having it was someone years ago on another forum.

He used to get into arguments a lot and when people said anything he always used to say things like "its not my fault, i have dyspraxia" to cover himself in arguments. He would also write sentences like this "tody i wenshop n got bred n mikl" and then when someone asked him to write correctly he would snap at them that he couldnt because he had dyspraxia. Some of his posts were unreadable (he refused ideas such as type it on word first to correct the spelling) so i always wrongly assumed dyspraxia was something to do with not being able to spell properly.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry but how can you presume that it is perfectly possible for that poster. It is possible for some dyspraxics but we are not all the same and our dyspraxia gives us different challenges and to different degrees and for some of us it is far too dangerous.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member

Well done to you. Hopefully, your post will give others with dyspraxia the confidence to achieve their aim, that it can be done if they're determined and that nothing is impossible.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Tbh ive heard of it but i wouldnt actually know what it is, how its diagnosed and what the symptoms are.

The only person ive heard of having it was someone years ago on another forum.

He used to get into arguments a lot and when people said anything he always used to say things like "its not my fault, i have dyspraxia" to cover himself in arguments. He would also write sentences like this "tody i wenshop n got bred n mikl" and then when someone asked him to write correctly he would snap at them that he couldnt because he had dyspraxia. Some of his posts were unreadable (he refused ideas such as type it on word first to correct the spelling) so i always wrongly assumed dyspraxia was something to do with not being able to spell properly.

I've always been good at spelling but as has also been mentioned, different people can have different issues with the same condition. Maths, arts and crafts, home economics and gym I found particularly difficult, personally speaking.

I'd typed a reply to another post which has since been deleted but in it I said that personally I don't use the fact I had it as an excuse and I don't normally mention it at all, unless im asked (if ive had any conditions etc) or if the condition is brought up, such as in a topic like this. I don't blame everything on it either. I've also never been on medication for it - I got help through being given repetitive exercises, things to help my balance and co-ordination and things to help my learning, I was taught strategies and got help with occupational therapists when I was quite young and learning support tutors in secondary school and I also attended after school classes to help with my maths but thats it. Without the tutor and after school classes, I might not have got my foundation level maths grade, even though thats a very low grade it was enough to get me into college and eventually into work and I achieved much better grades for other subjects I didn't struggle with. I still feel its a miracle I passed my business statistics class at college - the tutor thought I was joking when I had to say I didnt know how to calculate percentages on my scientific calculator (I think it was percentages, or fractions or something) :o the maths course I had to do in school, barely covered such things and I hadnt studied maths in 2 years since then, so I'd forgotten alot.

I could have had extra help at college, such as extra time to complete exams but I chose not to have that because I didnt want to be thought of as different - I spent most of my life feeling like I didnt fit in, so I wanted to compete on the same level as others when I was closer to being about average to others my age but there are still things I struggle with. If anything, ive been told by teachers in the past that I take too long to ask for help but thats because I didn't like to walk up to the teacher and say I dont understand, in front of everyone else, I'd tell myself that if I go home and read and re-read the paperwork, I'll figure out a way to make it make sense to me, so im the opposite of someone who would use any such label as an excuse, I think. I also have a strong phobia of going to the doctor. I try to figure everything out and deal with everything on my own, im very stubborn about that. I sometimes wish I wasnt like that...people get annoyed with me about it, me included sometimes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my cousins son is verbally dyspraxic, he could not say a word that would be understood by others outside of the close family until he was about 7 or 8.

It took many many hours of speech therapy by his mom and by qualified practitioners to get him to that point, and because of his trouble with speech he was painfully nervous and shy around other people for years,even when he caught up with others.

he is now 16, at college and doing fine, he is no where near as shy and quiet as he was, last year he started a conversation with me, which for him was a major achievement. He hopes to become a policeman or a fireman I think

he does not suffer from any other form of dyspraxia-his co-ordination is spot on, in fact he is a great footballer,loves his xbox ect

My son has aspergers which has similar traits, I do not know if there can be a family/genetic connection between cousins for these types of things, as they only seem interested in more direct links parents/grandparents ect when you are being diagnosed.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son, Thomas, has mild dyspraxia and we are trying to get his school to do something. We had to pay to get him tested as they were not interested. Luckily my son takes after me and has a form dyslexia as well which effects writing and spelling but not reading – but we more than make up for it with maths, science and a photographic memory. I honestly think that certain dyslexic traits can be an advantage over those with normally wired brains but the problem is identifying them and bringing them out. The dyspraxia is a worry though as Thomas has poor hand eye coordination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    My son, Thomas, has mild dyspraxia and we are trying to get his school to do something. We had to pay to get him tested as they were not interested. Luckily my son takes after me and has a form dyslexia as well which effects writing and spelling but not reading – but we more than make up for it with maths, science and a photographic memory. I honestly think that certain dyslexic traits can be an advantage over those with normally wired brains but the problem is identifying them and bringing them out. The dyspraxia is a worry though as Thomas has poor hand eye coordination.

That is also true for dyspraxia traits. After all there are many overlaps between the conditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Sorry but how can you presume that it is perfectly possible for that poster. It is possible for some dyspraxics but we are not all the same and our dyspraxia gives us different challenges and to different degrees and for some of us it is far too dangerous.

I appreciate that, but it's the same for people who have no learning difficulty at all. Driving is a privilege and of course is not meant for everybody. I passed my test on the third attempt but my instructor was very patient with me and gave me all the time I needed before we went on with mock tests and then the real thing!

I stand by what I said though, it is perfectly possible for dyspraxics to learn to drive and drive as well as everyone else.
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Well done to you. Hopefully, your post will give others with dyspraxia the confidence to achieve their aim, that it can be done if they're determined and that nothing is impossible.

Absolutely. It's a confidence thing too. I think what helped me is my meticulous determination. If I really want it, I get round my dyspraxia by putting 100% effort, heart and soul into the things I do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that, but it's the same for people who have no learning difficulty at all. Driving is a privilege and of course is not meant for everybody. I passed my test on the third attempt but my instructor was very patient with me and gave me all the time I needed before we went on with mock tests and then the real thing!

I stand by what I said though, it is perfectly possible for dyspraxics to learn to drive and drive as well as everyone else.

Absolutely. It's a confidence thing too. I think what helped me is my meticulous determination. If I really want it, I get round my dyspraxia by putting 100% effort, heart and soul into the things I do.

No it isn't. A lot will be able to manage it but proportionally more than the general population won't. You also specifically told one poster that he would be able to. He might, but he might not.

I am delighted for you that you managed it. That's great and it opens up many options to you. It is not possible for some of us and we would be a danger on the roads - to ourselves and others.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    zombie wrote: »
    my cousins son is verbally dyspraxic, he could not say a word that would be understood by others outside of the close family until he was about 7 or 8.

It took many many hours of speech therapy by his mom and by qualified practitioners to get him to that point, and because of his trouble with speech he was painfully nervous and shy around other people for years,even when he caught up with others.

he is now 16, at college and doing fine, he is no where near as shy and quiet as he was, last year he started a conversation with me, which for him was a major achievement. He hopes to become a policeman or a fireman I think

he does not suffer from any other form of dyspraxia-his co-ordination is spot on, in fact he is a great footballer,loves his xbox ect

My son has aspergers which has similar traits, I do not know if there can be a family/genetic connection between cousins for these types of things, as they only seem interested in more direct links parents/grandparents ect when you are being diagnosed.
    There is a familial link in autism, my son has it and my sisters daughter does too, and both their doctors have told us its linked
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    No it isn't. A lot will be able to manage it but proportionally more than the general population won't. You also specifically told one poster that he would be able to. He might, but he might not.

I am delighted for you that you managed it. That's great and it opens up many options to you. It is not possible for some of us and we would be a danger on the roads - to ourselves and others.

Yes, I told the poster in the same way I was encouraged by my peers, other DS posters and casual acquaintances. I was simply trying to offer the FM some encouraging advice.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I think we can both agree that when I say Dyspraxics I mean "some" dyspraxics and not all. But then, again it is the same for everybody. I'm glad I was able to overcome my problems and learn to drive. I believe everyone should be encourage to learn if they want to drive but if they can't, it's a shame. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I told the poster in the same way I was encouraged by my peers, other DS posters and casual acquaintances. I was simply trying to offer the FM some encouraging advice.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I think we can both agree that when I say Dyspraxics I mean "some" dyspraxics and not all. But then, again it is the same for everybody. I'm glad I was able to overcome my problems and learn to drive. I believe everyone should be encourage to learn if they want to drive but if they can't, it's a shame. :)

I don't doubt your good intentions and it is understandable that having achieved this yourself when it was more difficult than most, you would want to others to have the same results and the feeling you got from that achievement.