Strong women with talent

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    mrsbadger wrote: »
    Please don't hate me.
    Holly willoby
    And Hilary deval

I don't hate you at all but...no. Just no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Debbie Harry.

Great choice.

Madonna also.
    Cyndi Lauper
    Jodie Foster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with Britney being a strong woman at all. The poor thing's a mess.

I'd say Tina Turner too and Julianne Moore, also Hilary Swank. Diane Lane.

I would've said Whitney too at one point but it sadly turned out she was anything but strong. She was very talented though.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck finding many in music.

Billie Holiday
    Nina Simone
    Aretha Franklin
    Dolly Parton
    Kate Bush
    Tracy Chapman
    Stevie Nicks
    Debbie Harry
    Madonna
    Christina Aquiler
    Anita Baker
    Janet Jackson
    Pink
    Kelly Clarkson
    Adele
    Alison Moyet
    Annie Lennox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other Strong women with talent:

Martina Navratilova
    Hillary Clinton
    Michelle Obama
    Tina Fey
    Kate Adie
    Jayne Torvill (still fit, still a brilliant skater.)
    Clare Balding
    Karren Brady
    Margaret Mountford
    JK Rowling
    Kathy Burke
    Ruby Wax
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with Britney being a strong woman at all. The poor thing's a mess.

I agree. Even her most ardent fans must be able to see that she doesn't fit with the rest of this thread.

She was a music industry puppet who is now a shell of her former self. It's actually sad to see her now.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Other Strong women with talent:

Martina Navratilova
    Hillary Clinton
    Michelle Obama
    Tina Fey
    Kate Adie
    Jayne Torvill (still fit, still a brilliant skater.)
    Clare Balding
    Karren Brady
    Margaret Mountford
    JK Rowling
    Kathy Burke
    Ruby Wax

I love this list. :cool:

Will add (randomly)
    * Mary Robinson (ex Pres of Ireland)
    * Jennifer Saunders
    to it, just in case they're not already on here somewhere.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna
    PJ Harvey
    Patti Smith
    Tori Amos
    Stevie Nicks
    Debbie Harry

There are loads but they are my favourites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh just thought of Jennifer Hudson. After what she has been through recently!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlize Theron
    Bessie Smith
    Billie Holiday
    Nina Simone
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alice Walker
    Toni Morrison
    Margaret Atwood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Hudson
    Frida Lynstad (Has survived being the hated daughter of a Nazi, teenage pregnancies, divorce, widowhood and the lose of her daughter..Still strong and still friends with Benny.)
    Agnetha - ( Staying with the band after divorce, when Bjorn moved in with someone else. Never caused friction or sold him out to press.)
    Lily Allen
    Charlotte Church
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Oprah yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I don't hate you at all but...no. Just no.

Why not?
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsbadger wrote: »
    Please don't hate me.
    Holly willoby
    And Hilary deval

Nothing wrong with liking Holly Willoughby but as a woman, you probably shouldn't.
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Obama
    Beyonce
    Mariah Carey
    Adele
    Emeli Sande
    Madonna
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not?

Holly Willoughby as a strong woman? She's perfectly pleasant and attractive - but she is a mere conduit for Schofield - a Stepford wife if you like.

She is good at reading an autocue, smiling and rapport with guests - but she's hardly groundbreaking or strong or talented. If she were to retire tomorrow, there would be plenty of others who could replace her. She's almost an automaton. Nothing wrong with that; she fills a void, but that's about it.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holly Willoughby as a strong woman? She's perfectly pleasant and attractive - but she is a mere conduit for Schofield - a Stepford wife if you like.

She is good at reading an autocue, smiling and rapport with guests - but she's hardly groundbreaking or strong or talented. If she were to retire tomorrow, there would be plenty of others who could replace her. She's almost an automaton. Nothing wrong with that; she fills a void, but that's about it.

I'm the OP and I must say that Holly Wlloughby is a million miles away from my perception of a strong woman with talent.:eek:

Role models such as the superb Mary Portas, Alex Pollitzi and Harriet Harman have achieved everything without being traditional dolly birds and I'm in full agreement with the poster I've quoted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JK Rowling...legend
    Julie Walters one of the most talented comedians ever who even though she dosent come across as strong, she must be with what shes had to deal with in her life
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say Tina Turner too and Julianne Moore, also Hilary Swank. Diane Lane.

I would've said Whitney too at one point but it sadly turned out she was anything but strong. She was very talented though.

She's coped with a considerable amount considering she was a child star and is probably ill. She hasn't looked like she's wanted to be there the past few years and yet she's still trucking on.

I say her inclusion is warranted.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everyone could be a TV presenter, you might say the same for Schofield. He's equally replaceable.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Jennifer Hudson
    Frida Lynstad (Has survived being the hated daughter of a Nazi, teenage pregnancies, divorce, widowhood and the lose of her daughter..Still strong and still friends with Benny.)
    Agnetha - ( Staying with the band after divorce, when Bjorn moved in with someone else. Never caused friction or sold him out to press.)
    Lily Allen
    Charlotte Church

We might never have got songs such as The Winner Takes It All, so thank goodness for that!:D
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tulip19 wrote: »
    Not everyone could be a TV presenter, you might say the same for Schofield. He's equally replaceable.

I would say absolutely the same about Schofield. In fact, I cannot bear him.

Indeed, TV presenting is not for everyone. But that fact alone does not make her a strong woman. It just means she fulfils a certain role that she is paid to fulfil.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade Jones, olympic gold medallist in tae kwon do.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great lists but some astonishing ones have slipped in. :eek: Lady Gaga? Come on now! Contrived, derivative, attention-seeking mediocrity who, like a handful of others on this list, thinks that wearing a bikini and simulating sex on camera denotes 'empowerment'. Ditto Britney and Beyonce. I'm just glad that no-one had the cheek to try and put Rihanna on here. Dragging female empowerment backwards by the hair, that lot are.