Should people be able to choose if their tax money goes towards the royal family?

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather pay the tiny amount it takes to retain the royals than have the louthesome individuals we've had as prime ministers for the past 30 odd years as heads of state.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The
    Queen is a greedy mare. Wasn't there an FOI that revealed she wanted
    money from a fund to keep the elderly poor warm to heat Buckingham
    Palace?

If it's only 56p from each taxpayer than in this time of cuts they can
    do without I'm sure.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Sure...

Just as soon as it becomes possible to choose whether any of your tax money gets spent on schools, roads, the armed forces, hospitals, the police, London, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Businesses, Energy, public transport, bicycle lanes and all the other stuff that people also get arsey about as well.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Excellent idea . Scrap all welfare for both rich and poor. That's the defecit sorted.

Also while we are at it. We should be able to choose which laws we want to abide by as well.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The
    Queen is a greedy mare. Wasn't there an FOI that revealed she wanted
    money from a fund to keep the elderly poor warm to heat Buckingham
    Palace?

If it's only 56p from each taxpayer than in this time of cuts they can
    do without I'm sure.

I remember that. She asked Cameron for more money for her heating bill.

One of the richest women on earth gets her begging bowl out at a time us commoners are facing cuts, cuts and more cuts. How out of touch can she be, never mind greedy?

I'd rather that 56p went to the NHS, schools or public services than fund that lot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only opt out we have is to demand the abolition of the monarchy from our government. We'd need to vote for it. Which we should, because they're an outdated, embarrassing, entitled, immoral institution who aren't worth a penny a year from anyone, never mind 56 of them.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    No because then it would start a "but I want to opt out of paying towards x". The list would be never ending.

That comes from an anti royalist and I think the royal family should get £0 from the state - they're millionaires!

edit - point already proven in the posts 4 and 6

^this^. I'm a staunch anti-monarchist, but I'm also against a lot of things my taxes go towards, and where would you draw the line?
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I remember that. She asked
    Cameron for more money for her heating bill.

One of the richest women on earth gets her begging bowl out at a time us
    commoners are facing cuts, cuts and more cuts. How out of touch can she
    be, never mind greedy?

I'd rather that 56p went to the NHS, schools or public services than
    fund that lot

I'm no republican but the CHEEK. Staggering.

While our elderly struggle for nutrition and warmth and services for them are cut.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realize that all the evidence shows that a referendum would be heavily in favour of keeping them?

Then lets do it then. Lets have a vote on it and put this to bed once and for all. It would not happen as queenie would be worried she may lose.

I am sure the big palace of hers would make some nice apartments for the homeless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    I'd rather pay the tiny amount it takes to retain the royals than have the louthesome individuals we've had as prime ministers for the past 30 odd years as heads of state.

but at least you can get rid of him every four to five years,. Well it would be better if we was more democratic.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    As long as we can also opt out of supporting other things we don't like

Precisely this.

Stupid and ill thought out suggestion. Sorry OP!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Then lets do it then. Lets have a vote on it and put this to bed once and for all. It would not happen as queenie would be worried she may lose.

That Scottish independence referendum got her worried.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not want the job of managing that :D

Exactly. What a stupid idea from an obvious anti Royal.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For example the government could bring in an opt out scheme so people who don't like the royal family don't have to pay for them? do you think this would work?

You've just made number one on my 'most stupid DS threads of 2014'
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I object to paying for Andrew's Golf and Helicopter outings. I can't afford to join a golf club, so why should I contribute to his?

And don't get me started on these politicians who only care about filling their own pockets of Joe Public's hard-earned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    That Scottish independence referendum got her worried.

Yeh, but not worried enough.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I wonder if OP has thought how much it would cost to implement this? And if it applied to all tax, how would that work? E.g I fill my wife's car with fuel - £40, most of it tax (fuel duty + VAT), for the purpose of this discussion she's an staunch pro-monarchist and I'm heavily anti. That tax contributes to HM. Can I have some back? I ticked a box that says I don't want to pay. It's one step in stupidity above the regular idea put forward on here by the hard of thinking that cyclists don't pay tax. Barmier than barmy.

We all pay tax, corporations pay tax, companies pay tax, investors & financial institutions pay tax. Tax comes from a wide variety of sources, PAYE is a small part. There's no feedback loop, no suggestion that the country doesn't have a majority in favour of the monarchy, no point is diverting such a meagre amount of GDP away....

Gah. Forget it. Not worth continuing with such a ludicrous suggestion. Non-starter doesn't even begin to cover it.
  • qixvixqixvix Posts: 10,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    How much do they cost the average taxpayer per year?

56p?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cost-of-royal-family-rises-twice-as-fast-as-inflation-9563293.html

Is that really worth worrying about?

Well many people moan about the benefits bill and I am pretty sure we are paying for the Queen to have more extra bedrooms than the average family/old dear/single person etc

How much do we spend on each one of those individuals?
  • qixvixqixvix Posts: 10,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I object to paying for Andrew's Golf and Helicopter outings. I can't afford to join a golf club, so why should I contribute to his?

And don't get me started on these politicians who only care about filling their own pockets of Joe Public's hard-earned.

Everyone should 'opt out' - the OP is unworkable - then if anyone wanted to be charitable to the Queen and offer her extra money they could :D

Politicians bother me the most - have you seen the amount that is spent just on Clegg and some other MP to share a second home and entertain there? The drama that they had over who had access to the fine wines? It's a bloody joke - MPs and house of Lords get more perks than ANYONE else in the country

E.g. the public cannot smoke indoors in share spaces - APART FROM the House of Lords - they made an exemption for themselves.... If you did not pay your TV licence you could go to prison until a change in the law to protect MPs who were not paying them - we cannot pay for 'extra bedrooms' APART FROM MPs housing expenses of having two homes, many of whom are ripping off the system

Our taxes are NOT being spent fairly, those at the top are creaming a great lifestyle out of all of us ordinary folk and loving it
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    We would still have to pay for a Head of State.

Why?

Actually despite being staunchly anti a Monarchy I don't think any taxes should be optional.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    How much do they cost the average taxpayer per year?

56p?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cost-of-royal-family-rises-twice-as-fast-as-inflation-9563293.html

Is that really worth worrying about?

There are many strong reasons to dislike the idea of the monarchy but the cost is probably the weakest of the arguments. Personally I think there are far more important things for politicians to spend their energies on
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    qixvix wrote: »
    Everyone should 'opt out' - the OP is unworkable - then if anyone wanted to be charitable to the Queen and offer her extra money they could :D

Politicians bother me the most - have you seen the amount that is spent just on Clegg and some other MP to share a second home and entertain there? The drama that they had over who had access to the fine wines? It's a bloody joke - MPs and house of Lords get more perks than ANYONE else in the country

E.g. the public cannot smoke indoors in share spaces - APART FROM the House of Lords - they made an exemption for themselves.... If you did not pay your TV licence you could go to prison until a change in the law to protect MPs who were not paying them - we cannot pay for 'extra bedrooms' APART FROM MPs housing expenses of having two homes, many of whom are ripping off the system

Our taxes are NOT being spent fairly, those at the top are creaming a great lifestyle out of all of us ordinary folk and loving it

A pittance compared with the dozen or so that the Royal Family occupy.

The wines bought for both houses are all sold at a profit for the country through the catering providers.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We would still have to pay for a Head of State.

Exactly, Presidents aren't cheap, how many ex Presidents has America still got alive, all being paid for and their security and staff and Presidential Libraries, etc.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather pay for them then for someone's drug habit
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    A person would have to be crazy to not want to contribute to the vast wealth of this exceptional family, a family made up of individuals who have advanced humanity in staggering leaps and bounds. Their waving alone is worth each and every one of us selling up our house to bequeath the cash to Betty Windsor and co. Their wealth grabbing ways might have made them eye-wateringly rich already but I'm sure if we all pull together we can make that trough for their snouts even bigger. Anyone who doesn't agree is jeluz.