Options

The Dark Knight was incredibly overrated

12346»

Comments

• Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I own all three but the only one that I often watch is Begins. I really liked Dark Knight on first viewing but on repeated viewings it's plot holes galore, and I honestly start to get bored with it around the midway point. TDKR decent enough but very boring at times too.

Begins is the only one in the trilogy that did what Nolan said he intended to do. Make Batman about him. The second two were more focused on the villains and the rest of Gotham as an whole. It's also the only where he actually created a world (using Blade Runner as an influence) that pulled you in and worked great visually. The other two were bland looking, just a normal city, which didn't work for me. And Begins was a great balance of heightened realism and comic book, while the other two were so pretentious and self-important at times that I find them funny.

I much preferred the way the fighting was filmed in the first too. I usually have a problem with fast cut editing but here it works for me. Batman is shown to be an almost invincible ninja, whereas in the second two, because of the filming he looked way too stiff and it just looked like anyone could dress up and be Batman. And Bale's voice was just right before becoming ridiculous in TDK.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlike Skyfall which started at 8pm lets hope The Dark Knight isn't as heavily edited when it's on tonight at 9pm. 3hr slot, 9-11.55pm.
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it really the 1st time on terrestrial tv tonight? 6+ yrs after release?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart P wrote: »
    is it really the 1st time on terrestrial tv tonight? 6+ yrs after release?

Yip it is.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised this has taken so long to reach terrestrial TV. I'd assume pretty much everyone and their mother has already seen this film by now.
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Yip it is.
    blimey. guess it was either too expensive for terrestrial to buy until x amount of years had passed since release or sky had exclusive rights for x amount of years
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    do people really STIIL get excited about movies shown on terrestrial tv in this day and age? If i really want to see a film i'll go to the cinema or watch the blu-ray/DVD. Would never watch a film that has advert breaks.
    The Dark Knight is still showing in the cinema? Who knew?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I've just posted in the other thread to say that The Dark Knight is a very, very good crime thriller, but doesn't work for me as a "Batman" movie because I don't like the realistic setting and aesthetic Nolan uses in his trilogy. I am a fan of his stuff though, "The Prestige" in particular.

I think the two Michael Keaton / Tim Burton films got the look and tone better, especially Batman Returns.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Strange comparison as hardly anyone thought Oldman/Eckhart were better than Ledger :D

TDK is a classic example of a great performance in a mediocre movie.

Well, that's your opinion but please recognise that the majority of people who've seen the film (including almost everybody paid to have an opinion) disagrees with you.

The Dark Knight is a great film on so many levels. Dramatically, philosophically, and action-wise, it delivers. And the entire cast were brilliant, although Heath Ledger benefited the most from having the best lines and scenes.

To those people criticising Christian Bale's performance is say that it's nigh on impossible to display Shakespearean-level acting when playing someone who's playing someone so rigidly. Batman is an intimidating persona created to strike fear into the heart of criminals created by Bruce Wayne, so he doesn't have much depth to him, personality-wise.

Even when Wayne is out in public he's wearing another mask - self-centred playboy billionaire - so that side of his character is pretty one-dimensional, too. It's only when Wayne is being his true self - in private around Alfred and Rachel - does the actor playing Wayne/Batman get a chance to show any range. Criticising Bale for playing the all three roles perfectly seems bizarre to me.

Honestly, if you want to see bad performances in the role then look no further than Val Kilmer and George Clooney.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I've just posted in the other thread to say that The Dark Knight is a very, very good crime thriller, but doesn't work for me as a "Batman" movie because I don't like the realistic setting and aesthetic Nolan uses in his trilogy. I am a fan of his stuff though, "The Prestige" in particular.

I think the two Michael Keaton / Tim Burton films got the look and tone better, especially Batman Returns.

Batman Returns is a mess. Why does the Penguin want to kill everybody? What is it about surviving a fall that gives a previously timid, unassuming secretary the strength and skills to take on Batman? Etc, etc.

I read something the other day that said the Batman doesn't even speak for the first 40 or so minutes of the film! Also Tim Burton's vision of Gotham is just so toytown. It constantly reminds you that this is all make believe. I can't think of any superhero films other than the 80s/90s Batman ones that do that.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that's your opinion but please recognise that the majority of people who've seen the film (including almost everybody paid to have an opinion) disagrees with you.

The Dark Knight is a great film on so many levels. Dramatically, philosophically, and action-wise, it delivers. And the entire cast were brilliant, although Heath Ledger benefited the most from having the best lines and scenes.

To those people criticising Christian Bale's performance is say that it's nigh on impossible to display Shakespearean-level acting when playing someone who's playing someone so rigidly. Batman is an intimidating persona created to strike fear into the heart of criminals created by Bruce Wayne, so he doesn't have much depth to him, personality-wise.

Even when Wayne is out in public he's wearing another mask - self-centred playboy billionaire - so that side of his character is pretty one-dimensional, too. It's only when Wayne is being his true self - in private around Alfred and Rachel - does the actor playing Wayne/Batman get a chance to show any range. Criticising Bale for playing the all three roles perfectly seems bizarre to me.

Honestly, if you want to see bad performances in the role then look no further than Val Kilmer and George Clooney.

You're replying to a post from April 2014, made by someone who was actually banned from DS quite some time ago ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    You're replying to a post from April 2014, made by someone who was actually banned from DS quite some time ago ;)

Well, there are a few posts here that were made in the last 24 hours or so that essentially say the same thing.

People who don't get how limiting a role Wayne/Batman is make me laugh. I can't think of any other title role that's more limiting, can you?