Christmas begging adverts.

pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is probably a regular question, but why are there so many begging charity adverts on tv at Christmas? I've been off all day so have probably seen about 25 adverts for poor donkeys, save the children and deaf blind children.
This isn't meant to sound heartless, I have donated to STC but is this just an annual cry?

Comments

• neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit to being touched by the deaf blind one and have contributed in response, I do notice that they have been using the same footage for some time now, So the wee lad will be older than he is in the appeal,
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The salaries some top people get in charities is obscene.

Cancer Research seem to be on every bus shelter round here as well.

It makes you think where the money raised really goes.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just seem to be every other advert on tv (well at least on the channels I watch). Have to say I saw one of the women who comforted the bus crash victims in Glasgow on the news earlier. It made me cry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

I do and don't agree with you. It's obscene but then why would you expect the staff to work for free. Like most things in this case it's the higher up people getting paid a fortune and minions (like myself) getting buttons. God I sound like David daily mail.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,575
    Forum Member
    Not too comfortable with the thread title as "begging" is the word used commonly for those on the street. The ads on TV just now are for reputable charities and I suppose if there seems to be more than normal then just think what time of year this is
    Goodwill to all men and all that.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,719
    Forum Member

I worked for a charity for seven years, I could tell you where most of that donated money goes...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wash wrote: »
    I worked for a charity for seven years, I could tell you where most of that donated money goes...

Where does it go?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does it go?

Admin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuggers always bugged me as they were getting paid a lot for their days work
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where does it go?

:D:D:D I had to laugh.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,575
    Forum Member
    Major charities all publish their audited accounts online and are there for anyone to have a look at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D I had to laugh.

Why laugh? Giving towards six-figure salaries, marketing & ad men and administrators certainly isn't funny
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't looking to be offensive. Just thought it was an interesting point.
    Forum Member
    Where does it go?

Up to half of the money goes to staff wages and where I worked there were around about nine or ten staff members and more was wasted on things like trying to make the shop look like a "proper" shop. I could go into a hell of a lot of detail how money donated goes to waste.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wash wrote: »
    Up to half of the money goes to staff wages and where I worked there were around about nine or ten staff members and more was wasted on things like trying to make the shop look like a "proper" shop. I could go into a hell of a lot of detail how money donated goes to waste.

I thought as much. It's disgusting.
  • catscradlecatscradle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I give money to local charities and people in need. I knew someone who worked for a charity, they got a new company car each year and unbelievable salary and benefits
    Forum Member
    It is and I can't do anything about it but warn you good people that donate money, goods or clothes that only a tiny proportion of what you give or what they make goes to the actual charity.

Also, the way" some" charities treat their volunteers is discusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the phone calls "hello Mr pearls and plums you donate £10 a month, would you like to donate £15? I've donated to several charities and anyone that's asked me to do this have been told to cancel it and shove it up their arse
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This time of year, I always donate to the local homeless charity, I also buy some tins of soup for the local food bank. As for the chugging adverts on television, like the zombies speech on Xmas day, they get ignored and the channel is changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This time of year, I always donate to the local homeless charity, I also buy some tins of soup for the local food bank. As for the chugging adverts on television, like the zombies speech on Xmas day, they get ignored and the channel is changed.
    Love you
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I tend to keep my charity work to myself and do not brag about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get "visible charity". You donate but no one needs to know
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    This is probably a regular question, but why are there so many begging charity adverts on tv at Christmas? I've been off all day so have probably seen about 25 adverts for poor donkeys, save the children and deaf blind children.
    This isn't meant to sound heartless, I have donated to STC but is this just an annual cry?

There do seem to be more of them at Christmas, but there tend to be quite a few during day time TV anyway whatever the time of year. I guess they're aiming their emotional blackmail at older people. It seems to work as well. My mum gives in far too often and once one charity has you on their list they sell your name on to all the others it seems, based on the amount of charity letters and calls she gets, plus the original charity keeps coming back to you for more all the time. By the end of all that you really don't feel all that charitable any longer...
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for the Salvation Army we have a appeal on tv at the moment, the fact is that people who may have families and are looking forward to a lovely Christmas DO spare a thought for the hungry and homeless at this time of year, more then they do at any there time tbh.

The generosity of people in the last couple of weeks have been staggering from money donated, to gifts of toys, gloves, hats and even a catering box of crackers to be used for one of our Christmas lunches for the elderly and homeless.

Shall see the money raised in action over the next couple of days when I join the corps in their work
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i can`t see they are any worse than the adverts appealing to the greed fest.