Options

Emmerdale - Anyone else enjoy the xmas episode?

HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really enjoyed ED xmas episode more then EE or CS, it wasn't overly dramatic but was just right imo, some nice scenes. Bernice going nutty, April and Ross etc.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great - good fun with a tinge of emotion in parts. My favourite part was the scene in the church with the wedding rings - I know I'm not the only person who was waiting to see what Robert had arranged to have inscribed on them!

I don't watch CS or EE so can't compare them.
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I thought it was the most entertaining of the main three! I was expecting it to be a bit pathetic from the trailer but after watching it, I was pleased that they'd intentionally made it come across like that and as a bit of fun. Samantha Giles was brilliant as Bernice again ("Don't marry her, have me!" :D) and loved the way she was slightly slurring her words in the church to Andy.

I thought the scenes between Kerry, Leyla, Chas, Katie, Vanessa et all. were all well done too, especially the bit where Bernice is standing outside the church in Katie's dress with Diane and they're all glaring down the street at her. It's a bit tedious to have two Christmas weddings in a row but this wedding was more entertaining than last years.

Was unsure on Robert's return with a new face at the beginning but like that they're not just bringing him into it as a villain and that he actually showed some character development.

Amelia Flanagan's a great little actress as April and loved the scenes with Ross. What's the bet she's living with him by next Christmas?

Even found the Megan/Jai scenes well written, including the cringey proposal in the pub.

Overall, it seemed to be a nice light episode in comparison with the misery on Corrie and EastEnders.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Absolutely, and it didn't need to be sensational to be good either. I still say that Emmerdale is a much better show than some of us give it credit for :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with all comments. Sensationalism is fine every now and again (I thought the Cameron siege week was brilliant) but I prefer more normal stuff on the whole. I know a lot of people think it's boring because "nothing happens" but that's why I like it.
  • Options
    Am DramAm Dram Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree with all of you. I only watch Em and CS and haven't caught up with the latter yet but on the whole Emm has been my favourite for some time now. Happy Christmas to all. x
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. It was Christmas Day, why do soaps generally think people want to watch heavy miserable gloom, fighting, brawling, slanging matches, and general unpleasantness and unhappiness for Christmas?>:( I personally want cheeriness, enjoyable , light hearted feel good fun to watch on Xmas day. Emmerdale delivered this in spades, none of the others did. And an extra well done to ED for not having the cliché "it's snowing scene" at the end, despite the fact that being set in the Yorkshire moors,it is the one most likely to have just that.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale was by far the best christmas soap, and i am looking forward to it again tonight.

Corrie nearly sent me into a coma, and Eastenders was just a bizarre re hash of all the usual xmas eastenders misery, even though i was looking forward to that one the most :(
    The ending was an absolute cringefest ''hes your bruvvaaaaaa''. yawn.

i have stopped watching Hollyoaks though i did see the Xmas episode, - and it reminded me why i have stopped watching :D

So yes Emmerdale the winner.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Perhaps I watched a different Emmerdale to everyone else. Political Correctness barred them from any mention of Nativity plays, carols services etc. We just had a joke wedding, a man stalking a little girl - very creepy - the spoiled little girl being pampered to while a dear little boy was totally ignored, two men about to have sex in someone's hallway and were nearly caught, and a cringey proposal from the man from the chocolate factory to his girlfriend (just to secure her as a carer for his son). My hope for 2015 is that somebody will take control of Emmerdale and brings it back to the rural British soap that it should be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Perhaps I watched a different Emmerdale to everyone else. Political Correctness barred them from any mention of Nativity plays, carols services etc. We just had a joke wedding, a man stalking a little girl - very creepy - the spoiled little girl being pampered to while a dear little boy was totally ignored, two men about to have sex in someone's hallway and were nearly caught, and a cringey proposal from the man from the chocolate factory to his girlfriend (just to secure her as a carer for his son). My hope for 2015 is that somebody will take control of Emmerdale and brings it back to the rural British soap that it should be.

The wedding was great and 10 years after the original it was menna be funny.

Ross wasn't stalking April he sent her a present and she wanted him to play

The little girls mum had died earlier in the year, she's found it hard

having sex in his own home.

and Jai actually wants to marry megan
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a nativity plot last year Janet, and a carol service one earlier this week.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cybersq wrote: »

Jai was the only one who annoyed me, trying to steal the thunder at a wedding reception I don't think he was even invited too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I'm pleasantly surprised to say I thought it was very good, and easily the best of a poor day of soaps. :)
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, I will go as far as saying those that didnt tune in missed out. Emmerdales viewing figures seem to have dropped again but it gives good consistand drama all year round, you can't say the rest of the soaps do that and they always seem to manage to have a community feel to events.

Its always well written too apart from the aaron/robert imposter affair stuff its good.
  • Options
    Cheekymonkey09Cheekymonkey09 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale always provides a good, rounded Christmas episode. This years was very enjoyable, not too OTT, it was funny, dramatic enough and had heart.

Corrie rarely deliver a good festive episode, it mostly ends up cheesy or falls flat. EE whilst they do good, solid episodes most years, isn't my bag on Chrstimas day and can be a little too much, so catch up later.

I loved the Bernice stuff, very funny but also felt sorry for her. The wedding day scenes were done well, not over the top and the ring reveal was effective and understated.

Also liked the progression of the relationship between Aaron and Robert. Although I did want to see Chrissie's reaction about what Robert done to the rings.

The rest was pretty good also, not keen on the "legal highs" stuff though.
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now that's spot on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and
    Jai actually wants to marry megan

The voice of reason, thank you cybersq :)
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have when I watched it. It wasn't sensational or overtly dramatic, which were good things. But, I feel like it could have had a meatier story climaxing instead of Andy & Katie's wedding 2.0.

I liked Bernice going psycho, the Ross/April scenes (Laurel continues to be annoying), Andy/Katie/Robert, and the Megan/Rishi scene (minus Jai who is also annoying). I definitely think the episode had heart and depth, compared to the other soap I watch, which didn't.

I don't think the show needs to reference or showcase nativity plays and/or carol services every year, especially when the focal point is a Christmas wedding.
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I did. Certainly miles better than Corrie!
    Downtown was the best show last night though. Loved that!
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, Berenice was hilarious and I'm intrigued with Aaron and Robert. Best Christmas episode, the others were a bit of a let down.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A good post, cybersq; that is what the forum is about - reasoned debate
    Weddings are not meant to be funny, and even if they were, this one wasn't. Somebody vomited on the wedding dress; then a woman twice the size of the bride put it on and went in to the church and tried to get the groom to marry her. Then, in the space of about 5 minutes, the dress was dry-cleaned and being worn by the bride.
    If I saw a man giving presents to a small girl, to whom he is no way related, I would report him to the police.
    The vulnerable little girl is getting all the help she needs from her father, step-mother and a counsellor; she should not be keeping company with an unprincipled thug.
    Whose home were Robert and Aaron hoping to have sex in? Last week they had sex in a field, then Robert went to Home Farm and had sex with his girlfriend, then he came back to the village and had sex again with Aaron in a garage; then he went back to his girlfriend at Home Farm.
    I thought Jai was having an affair with Leyla.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weddings are not meant to be funny, and even if they were, this one wasn't. Somebody vomited on the wedding dress; then a woman twice the size of the bride put it on and went in to the church and tried to get the groom to marry her. Then, in the space of about 5 minutes, the dress was dry-cleaned and being worn by the bride.
    If I saw a man giving presents to a small girl, to whom he is no way related, I would report him to the police.
    The vulnerable little girl is getting all the help she needs from her father, step-mother and a counsellor; she should not be keeping company with an unprincipled thug.
    Whose home were Robert and Aaron hoping to have sex in? Last week they had sex in a field, then Robert went to Home Farm and had sex with his girlfriend, then he came back to the village and had sex again with Aaron in a garage; then he went back to his girlfriend at Home Farm.

Jai and Leyla's affair ended ages ago. Nobody threw up on the wedding dress.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a lot better than I thought it would be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I said in another thread I give presents to a small boy to whom I'm not related - are you going to report me to the police? In my instance the small boy is a neighbour's son - I give him birthday and Christmas presents. In ED's instance the child is the daughter of the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with - if seeing Ross makes April happy then I don't see the problem.

Kerry didn't vomit over the wedding dress - she managed to hold it in and vomited elsewhere. It was 5 minutes in the programme's time that we saw but it might have been longer in Emmerdale time.

Jai was having an affair with Leyla but they broke up weeks ago.

I can't comment on the Robert/Aaron scenes as I'm not interested in that sl as I don't like Aaron so tend to zone out when they're in scenes together.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was the most enjoyable soap of them all last night. Helped that it wasnt overhyped. ;-)
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weddings are not meant to be funny, and even if they were, this one wasn't.
    I thought it was. And weddings generally don't mean to be funny, but some storylines do. ;-)
    Somebody vomited on the wedding dress; then a woman twice the size of the bride put it on and went in to the church and tried to get the groom to marry her. Then, in the space of about 5 minutes, the dress was dry-cleaned and being worn by the bride.
    Nobody vomited on the wedding dress. Kerry ran outside before that happened. And saying Bernice is twice the size of Katie is a slight exaggeration. :p
    Fa la la la la la la la la!
    Agree that Ross probably wouldn't be the best person for April to be around in real life, but storylines like this generally tend to have a habit of calming down a character like Ross down a lot. And I'd hardly say April was getting the support she needs from Marlon and Laurel. Marlon's too busy flapping his arms and worrying about upsetting her while Laurel's too busy trying to jump Marlon at any opportunity to give a toss. :)
    Generally haven't been attention to their scenes much, but - high libido? :p
    They were. It ended.