Government urges cash machine charity donations!

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure what to make of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12085506

Is it a step in the right direction?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good idea.
    Not really much else to say....
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    more effing chugging.
    Lottery winners would get thank-you letters from ministers if they donated large sums to good causes.
    fabulous.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more effing chugging.

fabulous.

Everyone who goes on the lottery donates money to charity anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a great idea. If a small percentage of people gave £1 when they used an ATM, hundreds of millions of pounds would be raised quickly and effortlessly.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably won't go down well when you're using an ATM that charges you for the privilege of taking your money out, though.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Bad Idea . Who decides on the Charity some politician or penpusher - bet it will end up abroad subsidising the foreign aid budget .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll probably be money that goes to waste instead of reaching the front line.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as it stops those bloody annoying chuggers I'm all for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Very Bad Idea . Who decides on the Charity some politician or penpusher - bet it will end up abroad subsidising the foreign aid budget .

But you can choose the option of saying 'No'.

What does it matter if a ''pen pusher'' chooses the charity? Money going to charity is a good thing, no?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expect more of this as the Government tries to shift the load to the "vountary" ie charity sector.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Bad idea if it's completely generalised (also being proposed for card payment in shops by "round to the pound" with the difference going to charity).

I want to decide where my charitable donations go, and would never just pay money into a pot for somebody else to decide on my behalf.

I would be more inclined to take part if it were clear who the bank or shop were currently supporting, then I could research the charity and decide whether I want to support them or not.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a great idea ~ eBay ask for a donation when you use Paypal, you can take it or leave it, it's up to you. I choose to make a donation every time I use it now ~ makes me feel a little better about spending money on myself. :)
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    What does it matter if a ''pen pusher'' chooses the charity? Money going to charity is a good thing, no?

I like to choose which charity to donate money to. For example I wouldn't want to give to a religious charity or certain animal charities.

If I don't choose then it's not really a donation is it? It's a tax.
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll only begin to consider it if I get a paid job.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Course it matters -You dont just donate your cash to a black hole so some penpusher can waste it and it may end up funding a limo for an African dictator .I want my donations to go straight to the charity I care about like local animal shelters so id never give to the government or their quangopals .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JPDorsetDS wrote: »
    Bad idea if it's completely generalised (also being proposed for card payment in shops by "round to the pound" with the difference going to charity).

I want to decide where my charitable donations go, and would never just pay money into a pot for somebody else to decide on my behalf.

I would be more inclined to take part if it were clear who the bank or shop were currently supporting, then I could research the charity and decide whether I want to support them or not.

Nobody is stopping you doing that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    No I don't like it at all. I'm more than capable of deciding who to donate to, how much and when by myself.
    Forum Member
    And I don't want to give to a "charity" with a chief exec earning half a million pounds a year.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet you can't see anything wrong if the choice was stopped.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a right nutter going absolutely bonkers about this on 5live earlier. Just say no. Simples!
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member

No. My local theatre is a registered charity. Theatres are great love ;em. I shall be shouting "He's behind you tonight" with the kids.

Do I want them getting my charitable donations - like hell, not when people are dying of cancer, children are sick, etc.

When I booked they asked for another £1 on top per ticket for their charity. Not a chance.

I don't want a politician or penpusher deciding where my charitable donation goes.

Then how much of this extra dosh will get swallowed in admin charges and how much will get to the charities?

I wouldn't give through an ATM.
    Forum Member

I know that - I was just saying why I won't take part in the proposed scheme in any way that doesn't give me control over where my money goes. :confused:
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    Course it matters -You dont just donate your cash to a black hole so some penpusher can waste it and it may end up funding a limo for an African dictator .I want my donations to go straight to the charity I care about like local animal shelters so id never give to the government or their quangopals .

We give billions to foreign aid and some of it I can understand, some I can't. If they wanted to take my pound to send it to causes abroad, again they can get stuffed.

Charity begins at home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not always, some charities sit on a pretty large sum of money and a lot often gets wasted on admin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Course it matters -You dont just donate your cash to a black hole so some penpusher can waste it and it may end up funding a limo for an African dictator .I want my donations to go straight to the charityI care about like local animal shelters so id never give to the government or their quangopals .

Again, you can choose the option of 'No'. Theres no obligation to anybody to donate to any charity but some people will, thats not a bad thing.

You've already decided this money will be going to some evil ''pen pusher'' whos going to buy Mugabi a new Limo....Would you feel better about it if you knew for a fact it would be going to some kittens?