I really feel sorry for Janine!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's no wonder she is so hate filled and bitter. Lydia is someone she genuinely loved and got along with and more than anything was like a link back to her mother. There is clearly issues for Janine with her mum and how she feels robbed and upset about what happened and Lydia was able to provide at least a sort of link back to her. Janine adores her dad but even he has been criticised by her for his treatment of her when her mum died. Now she is upset about her grandmother dying and understandably gets angry with Pat about what happened when she was younger and all she gets is being accused of murder.

The same people that accuse her of this are the ones who criticize her for being the way she is but every time there is a glimmer of hope for her people stomp all over her and treat her like crap.

I have to say I liked Lydia and Janine together it';s just a pity the actress who played Lydia left because they could have been so great together.Charlie Brooks is one of the finest actresses in Eastenders at the moment

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    It's no wonder she is so hate filled and bitter. Lydia is someone she genuinely loved and got along with and more than anything was like a link back to her mother. There is clearly issues for Janine with her mum and how she feels robbed and upset about what happened and Lydia was able to provide at least a sort of link back to her. Janine adores her dad but even he has been criticised by her for his treatment of her when her mum died. Now she is upset about her grandmother dying and understandably gets angry with Pat about what happened when she was younger and all she gets is being accused of murder.

The same people that accuse her of this are the ones who criticize her for being the way she is but every time there is a glimmer of hope for her people stomp all over her and treat her like crap.

I have to say I liked Lydia and Janine together it';s just a pity the actress who played Lydia left because they could have been so great together.Charlie Brooks is one of the finest actresses in Eastenders at the moment

I'm sure Barry Evans' son might have genuinely loved him and adored him, but Janine didn't see much problem pushing him off the side of a hill and then leaving him to die. She deserves everything she gets - complete psychopath whose any remaining 'redeeming' features were lost about 5 'panto-villain evil acts' ago.
  • Rich SteakRich Steak Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I totally agree. Janine's complexity is what made for truly gripping television.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did feel sorry for Janine today but I can't blame people for being suspicious.

This is the same person who watched Barry die as he uttered the words "Jack" (his three-year old sons name) and showed no remorse. She got all of Barrys money and lived it up with not a care in the world.
    She stabbed herself last year, blaming Stacey.
    She has a reputation for being a gold-digging bitch. A reputation she earned all by herself.

If I was in Pat's shoes, I'd proabably be thinking the same.

Janine blaming Pat for her being the way she was annoyed me. People have been through alot worse and don't end up like that.

I do think Janine a great character to watch though and very complex.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She stabbed herself in order to frame Stacey and have a child taken from it's mother, killed Barry, blackmailed Ian Beale (even though he deserved it), and got Whitney involved in the prostitution game....Janine deserves no sympathy whatsoever!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't feel sorry for her.

However she seems to get away with the things she has done and punished for the things she hasn't done:o
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I was slightly sorry for Janine because she didn't kill Lydia and for once didn't care that she didn't inherit anything, my sympathy is limited because it's her own fault that people distrust her. Even today she could have asked Pat nicely about what Lydia said and then accepted it when Pat said things were more complicated than Lydia said.She could also have given Pat the will and not changed the subject.

After lying so many times and pushing away everyone who tried to help her, it is understandable that people are suspicious of her and do not believe anything she says even if it is sad because this time she truly had nothing to do with Lydia's death and was genuinely upset about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I did feel sorry for Janine today but I can't blame people for being suspicious.

This is the same person who watched Barry die as he uttered the words "Jack" (his three-year old sons name) and showed no remorse. She got all of Barrys money and lived it up with not a care in the world.
    She stabbed herself last year, blaming Stacey.
    She has a reputation for being a gold-digging bitch. A reputation she earned all by herself.

If I was in Pat's shoes, I'd proabably be thinking the same.

Janine blaming Pat for her being the way she was annoyed me. People have been through alot worse and don't end up like that.

I do think Janine a great character to watch though and very complex.

I totally agree with Katrina. I said something similar myself. Actually I completely forgot about Janine stabbing herself to frame Stacey - thanks for reminding me.
  • Rich SteakRich Steak Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I do, too. Pat is such a bitch.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I'm sure Barry Evans' son might have genuinely loved him and adored him, but Janine didn't see much problem pushing him off the side of a hill and then leaving him to die. She deserves everything she gets - complete psychopath whose any remaining 'redeeming' features were lost about 5 'panto-villain evil acts' ago.

Technically that was an accident. Maybe janine would of turned out differently if she lived with Lydia. Janine hated Pat when she was younger so Frank should of let janine at least see her gran, as janine never had an unconditional love from a mother figure. No wonder she's so screwed up!
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for her too but she has to know why they suspect her. Anyone of sane mind would after everything she has done.
    SULLA wrote: »

However she seems to get away with the things she has done and punished for the things she hasn't done:o

Yes, why is that I wonder?

She got away with Barry, but done for Laura is the biggest example of that. Its strange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Technically that was an accident. Maybe janine would of turned out differently if she lived with Lydia. Janine hated Pat when she was younger so Frank should of let janine at least see her gran, as janine never had an unconditional love from a mother figure. No wonder she's so screwed up!
    Honestly, no. People have had alot worse childhood thanJanine and haven't grown up to be corrupt in the way she has. Also Pat was no evil stepmother who made Janine's life hell. She took her on and raised her.

Janine has abandoment issues but they would have still been there with Lydia because the fact still remains: her father left her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »

Maybe she didn't mean for him to fall down the cliff when she pushed him but she was cruel to him before she pushed him and she left him to die and even sat down and watched him die without getting help for him - that was evil and monstrous.

I agree that Frank should perhaps have let her see Lydia but I'm also inclined to agree with Pat that the situation was more complicated than Lydia made out and Janine could have made an effort to try to get along with Pat but she didn't.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I can't feel sorry for her.

Im aware your a 'Janine loather' but your so correct about the 'blame game'! Its a kind-of reverse sods law!:o:D
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I do see that Pat would have her suspicions but to shout them out in a pub full of people was just wrong.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Honestly, no. People have had alot worse childhood thanJanine and haven't grown up to be corrupt in the way she has. Also Pat was no evil stepmother who made Janine's life hell. She took her on and raised her.
    Janine has abandoment issues but they would have still been there with Lydia because the fact still remains: her father left her.

Dont forget when Pat first showed up...! She was VILE/MAJESTIC! Before she turned up, all EE was about was Susan Tullys love child & Den vrs Angie. When Pat turned up, it ramped up the drama by 100%.

Pat was definitely a true bitch when she first appeared, she'd definitely changed alot by the time Janine was in the picture, but you always get the impression that Janine was 'in the way', ascerbaited by the fact that they gave her away to her older sister to raise.... So, no, she wasnt the stepmother from hell. but, both her & Frank were one of those couples that were more 'into themselves' as a couple, than a family unit.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Janine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat could have really helped by explaining herself.It may not have been ideal but it would have saved Janine feeling angry. If you allow it to fester it's going to grow and Pat did nothing to help she just closed up and walked away hardly ideal and even now Pat is so off and on with Janine it's not shocking Janine doesn't care anymore about Pat either.She seems to switch off and on caring for Janine and despite her treatment of her i've always felt Janine cares for Pat a lot more than Pat cares for Janine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    Pat could have really helped by explaining herself.It may not have been ideal but it would have saved Janine feeling angry. If you allow it to fester it's going to grow and Pat did nothing to help she just closed up and walked away hardly ideal and even now Pat is so off and on with Janine it's not shocking Janine doesn't care anymore about Pat either.She seems to switch off and on caring for Janine and despite her treatment of her i've always felt Janine cares for Pat a lot more than Pat cares for Janine

but can you really blame Pat for being so on/off for her? Janine watched Pat's stepson die and got all his money without a care in the world. No remorse. Nothing. Pat also saw how Laura (Pats freind) was treated by Janine before her death. Janine lapped up Pat's sympathy after Stacey's affair with Ryan, when she was drugging Ryan and then stabbed herself, blaming Stacey.

Never mind on and off. I have to commend Pat for keep going back to her. I'm not sure I would.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I really like Janine and Pats relationship, its so off and on though I would like them to have a proper "mother/daughter" chat in an episode, just to clear the air about everything. It's confusing sometimes, Pat "hates" her one episode and never wants anything to do with her, the next she is buying her a drink in the Vic. Come on writers, explain!!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO, if Janine was going to be made sympathetic and 'complex', it should have been done a long time ago. Any shades of grey are coming too little, too late - we've simply endured her pantomine routine for too long, and the 'lost little girl looking for someone to love' aspect of her has worn far too thin. It might have excused some of her actions in the past, but she's gone too far and done too many despicable things as a character for this to wash these days.

I also feel it's a shame that Margaret Tyzack was unable to continue as Lydia - although I liked the second actress, she was a bit too comedic and I feel the storyline has been a bit abortive due to the switch. I'd love to have seen Janine meet her match properly in Lydia - and (since they didn't get Sian Philips ;)) who better than Antonia from I, Claudius to appear as her twisted, dark Granny!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    IMO, if Janine was going to be made sympathetic and 'complex', it should have been done a long time ago. Any shades of grey are coming too little, too late - we've simply endured her pantomine routine for too long, and the 'lost little girl looking for someone to love' aspect of her has worn far too thin. It might have excused some of her actions in the past, but she's gone too far and done too many despicable things as a character for this to wash these days.

I think the shades of grey are to show that she isn't evil or psychopathic rather than to get the audience to symmpathise with her. But I agree with you that she has gone too far and done too many despicable things - ok I was a little sorry for her tonight but only because she didn't kill Lydia and people think she did but even that is limited. She has no-one but herself to blame for her problems.