Options

Father apologises after football fan son, 10, is engulfed in Twitter race storm

2»

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused: Is this PC gone mad? I can remember years ago kids wanting to like their hero Mr T, no doubt that would offend some nowadays.

No. Its just a few trolls on twitter acting like arseholes.

Nothing to do with peecee goooorn mad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely would not have apologised. It was blatantly not racist. If anything it was complimentary.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    My thought was that he appears to have received a lot of hateful abuse that I would feel a 10 year old would not be well-equipped to deal with.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Well, I imagine his parents - assuming they knew and approved of him having it and monitored his usage - reasonably thought that as long as he doesn't 'start' anything on Twitter, he won't receive any abuse from total strangers (which is naive anyway, but understandable). As most people here seem to agree, only the most militant Trolls would see anything racist in what he did and I daresay it never occured to his parents it would get that reaction.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Lenny Henry "White up" once?

I once went to a fancy dress party as Madonna and yet I'm male! Is that sexist?

So why is just a black person's skin colour not allowed to be imitated?

Yes for the film True Identity, a steaming pile of mutts excrement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Poor kid.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the footballers out there, El Hadji Diouf is his favourite. :(

That is worrying, the rest of the story is rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea who the player is but for the kid to go to the effort to look like the player must maen he looks up to the player and would like to be like him... i.e. has no problem in looking 'black'.

There seems to be this knee-jerk reaction that any mention of colour by a white person or 'blacking up' is racist rather than actually thinking and putting the action into context.