Police search for missing boy with brain tumour removed from hospital by his parents

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately we still need to be patient on this though i'm sure many have long run out of it! There must be a properly conducted full inquiry set up to establish all the facts from the beginning with all allegations thoroughly investigated and substantiated.

There has been some very serious damage caused and the time is approaching where questions need answering now.

My main concern is for Southampton General Hospital and also for Kids N Cancer, they really need to have their names cleared or the accusations substantiated, the latter I truly doubt!

I was aware of your link that you put last night btw :)
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I find it all too painful to think about at times, having lost one of my daughter's to cancer. If they have used this poor little boy to do what is now becoming clearer, it's incomprehensible to me I'm afraid. This smacks of destructive narcissistic personalities to me.

I'm sure that the Kings will have felt the same fear as yourself Anne when finding out, my friends did too with regard to their children. Thankfully they had a better outcome than your own child, I'm so sorry about your loss :(

If your fight for your child means fleeing to sort out funds then why to God would you then want to make more from it? The Kings said that the authorities were wrong to put the alerts out. To anyone thinking this is a witch hunt what on earth would be the outcome at this present time and a few weeks ago if they had not done?

It does not take a mathematician to work it out on the financial side!
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found this Spanish/English article which should put things into perspective, especially for those accusing the Kings of living in Spain for ten years, and being a "health tourist" or whatever:

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2014/09/03/costa-friends-reveal-ashya-king-was-diagnosed-in-spain-where-his-family-had-previously-lived-for-years/

Also that Ashya started having headaches towards the end of the school year here in England. It was whilst the family were on their summer holiday in Spain that things got worse and so they took him to a doctor there, who diagnosed that Ashya had only months to live. They thought the level of healthcare would be better in England (Some Spanish residents disagreed about that), and returned to their home in England. Well, we know the rest...

There's a lot more information in that article too, especially regarding their properties in Spain; and how they have travelled around a lot. Mrs King is Spanish, and her parents live there, so why shouldn't they.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Its on facebook and as Bulletguy says, he asked permission before posting.

Is that all you have to say about such a shocking turn of events?

No, it isn't all that I have to say, but you wouldn't agree with my views.

That's the way it goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I have found this Spanish/English article which should put things into perspective especially for those accusing the Kings of living in Spain for ten years, and being a "health tourist" or whatever:

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2014/09/03/costa-friends-reveal-ashya-king-was-diagnosed-in-spain-where-his-family-had-previously-lived-for-years/

Also that Ashya started having headaches towards the end of the school year here in England. It was whilst the family were on their summer holiday in Spain that things got worse and so they took him to a doctor there, who diagnosed that Ashya had only months to live. They thought the level of healthcare would be better in England (Some Spanish residents disagreed about that), and returned to their home in England. Well, we know the rest...

There's a lot more information in that article too, especially regarding their properties in Spain; and how they have travelled around a lot. Mrs King is Spanish, and her parents live there, so why shouldn't they.

I'm well aware of that article Neth and the fact is that Southampton took care of the immediate situation and operated successfully. It is the aftercare that is the subject of debate which the Kings disputed and took Ashya off to fund themselves. That last sentence is the main crux of the debate, how where they going to fund it after the arduous journey the little fella endured? Can you honestly answer that with consideration to the fact that treatment was on a timescale to ensure a potentially good outcome?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that article Neth and the fact is that Southampton took care of the immediate situation and operated successfully. It is the aftercare that is the subject of debate which the Kings disputed and took Ashya off to fund themselves. That last sentence is the main crux of the debate, how where they going to fund it after the arduous journey the little fella endured? Can you honestly answer that with consideration to the fact that treatment was on a timescale to ensure a potentially good outcome?

Did you watch the video by Brett King just before they were arrested?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main concern is for Southampton General Hospital and also for Kids N Cancer, they really need to have their names cleared or the accusations substantiated, the latter I truly doubt!

Absolutely agree Mrs T and opting to stay away from the UK will do nothing except exacerbate and prolong matters.

I'm sure that the Kings will have felt the same fear as yourself Anne when finding out, my friends did too with regard to their children. Thankfully they had a better outcome than your own child, I'm so sorry about your loss :(

If your fight for your child means fleeing to sort out funds then why to God would you then want to make more from it?
    A "Spiritual" theme?
    The Kings said that the authorities were wrong to put the alerts out. To anyone thinking this is a witch hunt what on earth would be the outcome at this present time and a few weeks ago if they had not done?
    All Hell would have broke loose and the NHS 'hung out to dry'.
    It does not take a mathematician to work it out on the financial side!

It doesn't take anyone with a modicum of common sense to know it's not a very wise idea to set up a scheme enabling the public to make financial donations into a personal PayPal account!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you watch the video by Brett King just before they were arrested?

Yes I did Neth, I also read all the reports and much more. To run to fund your child's treatment could be found as admirable, to then have your child's treatment paid for but to demand more is questionable :( The word 'Grateful' comes to mind but it's not been used at all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you aware that the Charity Commission is undergoing an investigation into the Kids 'n' Cancer charity - because of complaints made by the general public, and former staff who worked there?

Not directly linked to Ashya's donations, but the Charity Commission is also now looking into how the £53,000 raised for Ashya will be spent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did Neth, I also read all the reports and much more. To run to fund your child's treatment could be found as admirable, to then have your child's treatment paid for but to demand more is questionable :( The word 'Grateful' comes to mind but it's not been used at all!

Then may we address first things first?

As you can see from the video, Ashya wasn't under any duress was he? Do you honestly think that their caring family would have taken their ill son from the hospital if he was too ill to travel?

How do you feel about the NHS - Southampton Hospital even - sending patients in similar positions abroad for further treatment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree Mrs T and opting to stay away from the UK will do nothing except exacerbate and prolong matters.

A "Spiritual" theme?

All Hell would have broke loose and the NHS 'hung out to dry'.

It doesn't take anyone with a modicum of common sense to know it's not a very wise idea to set up a scheme enabling the public to make financial donations into a personal PayPal account!

The truth will hopefully out, people have a good heart, I have too but sometimes you have to question things and this I truly question!

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you aware that the Charity Commission is undergoing an investigation into the Kids 'n' Cancer charity - because of complaints made by the general public, and former staff who worked there?

Not directly linked to Ashya's donations, but the Charity Commission is also now looking into how the £53,000 raised for Ashya will be spent.
    BIB isn't correct at all Neth. Where does it mention about 'complaints from the general public'? Also please remember that Kids 'n Cancer have properly audited accounts to prove incomings and outgoings which are open for inspection by anyone.

The Kings have yet to produce theirs.
    Hyman (Mike Hyman CEO of Kids 'n Cancer) said these complaints came from disgruntled former staff. "There are no financial irregularities; our accounts are audited," he said.

A spokeswoman for the commission said: "We are aware of media reports concerning funds raised by the charity Kids ‘n’ Cancer UK for the treatment of Ashya King. We will be requesting information from the trustees about how much was raised by the Ashya King appeal and how the funds will be used, because it appears that the funds are no longer needed to fund Ashya’s medical treatment."
    http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/regulator-ask-charity-will-use-funds-raised-ashya-kings-medical-treatment/governance/article/1317671#disqus_thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB isn't correct at all Neth. Where does it mention about 'complaints from the general public'? Also please remember that Kids 'n Cancer have properly audited accounts to prove incomings and outgoings which are open for inspection by anyone.

The Kings have yet to produce theirs.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/regulator-ask-charity-will-use-funds-raised-ashya-kings-medical-treatment/governance/article/1317671#disqus_thread

BIB - Are you being serious? :confused:

What does this say:

The commission has a case open on the charity, involving its fundraising practices and financial controls. "These concerns were raised with us by members of the public and are separate to the issues concerning the Ashya King appeal," the commission spokeswoman said. "We have been working to determine how serious these initial issues are and what our next regulatory steps will be."

I posted it days ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The truth will hopefully out, people have a good heart, I have too but sometimes you have to question things and this I truly question!

:(
    I admit to questioning almost from 'day one' but what really set off the alarm bells was discovering about Naveed King using a PayPal account to collect donations. That for me was an absolute 'no go'. Nobody in their right mind would even contemplate such activity as you are leaving yourself wide open to obvious temptation and criticism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then may we address first things first?

As you can see from the video, Ashya wasn't under any duress was he? Do you honestly think that their caring family would have taken their ill son from the hospital if he was too ill to travel?

How do you feel about the NHS - Southampton Hospital even - sending patients in similar positions abroad for further treatment?

Your saying that after brain surgery his family were experts on moving him from the hospital?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your saying that after brain surgery his family were experts on moving him from the hospital?

No. But now that you ask, I would say that parents have the nous to know their children very well, wouldn't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit to questioning almost from 'day one' but what really set off the alarm bells was discovering about Naveed King using a PayPal account to collect donations. That for me was an absolute 'no go'. Nobody in their right mind would even contemplate such activity as you are leaving yourself wide open to obvious temptation and criticism.

Once again, you are leaving out vital facts here.

It was the general public who asked Naveed to open a paypal account so that they could make donations - NOT the other way round which you keep implying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - Are you being serious? :confused:

What does this say:

The commission has a case open on the charity, involving its fundraising practices and financial controls. "These concerns were raised with us by members of the public and are separate to the issues concerning the Ashya King appeal," the commission spokeswoman said. "We have been working to determine how serious these initial issues are and what our next regulatory steps will be."
    The 'clue' is in the BIB......nothing at all to do with the King appeal. However, i will reiterate once more. Kids 'n Cancer Charity is governed under the Charities Commission with properly audited accounts. They also have legal responsibilities and duties......such as not providing funds for people legal expenses incurred by themselves.

Would you expect a Cancer Charity to pay your Solicitors fees? Because i sure as hell wouldn't and would be bloody furious if i found that was how a Charity were spending public donations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/regulator-ask-charity-will-use-funds-raised-ashya-kings-medical-treatment/governance/article/1317671#disqus_thread If you scroll down page you will see this:

This is the accurate account from Naveed King.

I can understand why some of you feel we have had a lot donations, Kids N Cancer have said that we have received substantial donations through our account in Spain. However, this is not the truth, we have received in donations through the Spanish personal account approx. 1,270 euros (give or take a few euros) in addition we received from Indiegogo and Paypal around £22,000. Then because NHS and the Malaga hospital insisted on a vehicle geared up towards medical emergencies with an on-board nurse the only option that NHS and Malaga accepted was a private jet with a nurse costing £18.500. With other expenses associated with the travel that brought our donations down to zero at that time.

Then we received from Cancer Relief UK £30,000 donation given to my grandmother, so at this stage we did not have enough money to pay for the Proton Treatment. That is why we pushed forward with the NHS who then agreed to pay for the treatment. Out of that £30,000 we have now had to pay £17,000 to the UK solicitors for the custody of Ashya. There is another legal bill outstanding to the Spanish solicitors also for the legal battle of gaining custody of Ashya as well as releasing my parents from prison to be reunited with Ashya. Their bill is going to be considerably higher than the UK solicitors. That is when we agreed to give our story to the Daily Mail as they agreed to donate £60,000 to Ashya's fund. We were hoping to keep the £60,000 for all future expenses including, physiotherapy, ongoing cancer treatment after Proton Therapy, extra educational help and occupation therapy, and all other expenses relating to Ashya's disabilities. Remember he still cannot walk, talk, feed himself or do all of the basics, he will need help for sometime which could go on for years. So the £60,000 was to be kept in reserve. Therefore, the £30,000 is now £13,000 and with the payment of the future Spanish legal fees means that we will eat in to the £60,000 that supposed to be for Ashya's future treatment. That is why we asked Kids N Cancer who said they had £200,000 in donations for Ashya to pay £17,000 for the solicitors fees. We have also incurred costs whilst here in Prague that we are also having to pay for as the parents need to be with Ashya and will reduce the amount of money we can spend on Ashya in the future. That is why we thought it was only fair to ask Kids N Cancer who have always promised help to actually keep to their promise. They have ignored our emails, and eventually when we did get through they said they could not help with any cost for Ashya.

I have written enough now if you want more information please privately ask me.

We appreciates everybody's help in this matter and sorry for all the misunderstanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'clue' is in the BIB......nothing at all to do with the King appeal. However, i will reiterate once more. Kids 'n Cancer Charity is governed under the Charities Commission with properly audited accounts. They also have legal responsibilities and duties......such as not providing funds for people legal expenses incurred by themselves.

Would you expect a Cancer Charity to pay your Solicitors fees? Because i sure as hell wouldn't and would be bloody furious if i found that was how a Charity were spending public donations.

BIB - I already said that. :confused:

You were implying that I wasn't telling the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again, you are leaving out vital facts here.

It was the general public who asked Naveed to open a paypal account so that they could make donations - NOT the other way round which you keep implying.
    What i wrote was;
    ....what really set off the alarm bells was discovering about Naveed King using a PayPal account to collect donations.
    However you want to 'spin' it Nethwen, there was absolutely nothing at all holding Naveed King back from thinking 'uh uh, maybe that's not such a good idea'. His actions were totally irresponsible and foolhardy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i wrote was;
    However you want to 'spin' it Nethwen, there was absolutely nothing at all holding Naveed King back from thinking 'uh uh, maybe that's not such a good idea'. His actions were totally irresponsible and foolhardy.

I know what you said. I replied to it with facts that you keep leaving out of the equation - and choose to ignore. I am spinning nothing thanks very much.

Opening a paypal account is "irresponsible and foolhardy" eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i've already gone through the figures off that same link. They don't equate at all.

They show a total income of donated money received of £113k.......yet King can only account for £35.5k in expenditure.

So with a surplus of £77.5k still in the pot......what are they doing asking for more money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opening a paypal account is "irresponsible and foolhardy" eh?
    It is when it's in a family members name and you are taking financial payments from the general public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is when it's in a family members name and you are taking financial payments from the general public.

:confused:

Whose name was he supposed to put it in?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:

Whose name was he supposed to put it in?
    Do i really have to spell it out for you? Can you not think that out for yourself?