Comments

• Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    So they are safe and not fleeing for their lives

There are both.
    Wow....just imagine how great it would be if we had a huge international organisation allocating Refugee status to.......you know.......actual freaking Refugees.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I apologise if I gave that impression. So how would you describe people in expensive clothes, if not low-skilled or 'not what you would call a refugee'? I assumed that when you mentioned pricey togs you were referring to their economic status, reflecting their skill level.

No; I would think a refugee fleeing for his or her life would just wear ordinary clothes and look as if they have been through the mill, but some of these people don't look that way at all, considering how far they have travelled. In the war-torn countries they have escaped from, I wouldn't have thought there would be much money around, unless of course the well-dressed ones are not refugees at all, but are terrorists. It really is frightening.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you read my earlier post?

There's nothing "lacking", this society has been set up to encourage people to leave their families to look for work/better themselves.

That's the price of a progressive, complex society that has broken away from the idea that you live in the same small area surrounded by family for the whole of your life.

It's virtually the same set up in every advanced nation.
    And if places like India and China follow the same model, exactly the same situation will occur.
    Children leaving home, moving away for work/career advancement, not being able to give up that work to move back and look after the elderly relatives.
    Especially once you get to the point of much smaller families, less parental control (no women kept at home because they are not married) and more and more money needing to be earned.

More money earned means more money to look after your loved ones, rather than just stick them in a home to be looked after by poorly paid immigrant workers, as so many native whites do.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the thread mist is clearing a bit now.
    It is now clear that the "I am not anti-migrant.....But " posters are choosing to deny the existence of a Refugee crisis. The men in hoodies in Lorry Parks are proving to be a wonderful diversion for the Empathy bereft among us.

When Cameron and Clegg visited the huge, mind blowing, camps on the Turkish border to say "The Winter is coming......here is a nicer blanket for you"......it was just their imagination.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No; I would think a refugee fleeing for his or her life would just wear ordinary clothes and look as if they have been through the mill, but some of these people don't look that way at all, considering how far they have travelled. In the war-torn countries they have escaped from, I wouldn't have thought there would be much money around, unless of course the well-dressed ones are not refugees at all, but are terrorists. It really is frightening.

Expensive clothes are ordinary for those who can afford them. There are professionals in war-torn countries too, you know.

I have no idea what makes you connect expensive leather jackets with terrorists, or think that an organisation like ISIS would be daft enough to stash some of their own in a location crawling with police and cameras.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More money earned means more money to look after your loved ones, rather than just stick them in a home to be looked after by poorly paid immigrant workers, as so many native whites do.

Are you for real? Many people working full time are just managing to keep a roof over their heads...they don't have a the luxury of employing live in carers.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh no, you can't admit to being frightened as that negates any views you have.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I think the thread mist is clearing a bit now.
    It is now clear that the "I am not anti-migrant.....But" posters are choosing to deny the existence of a Refugee crisis. The men in hoodies in Lorry Parks are proving to be a wonderful diversion for the Empathy bereft among us.

When Cameron and Clegg visited the huge, mind blowing, camps on the Turkish border to say "The Winter is coming......here is a nicer blanket for you"......it was just their imagination.

The BIB seems to be the over riding factor. I'm alright Jack or UK people struggle just as much as any of them, chuck away the Geneva Convention or basic humanitarianism and pretend they're all on the make ripping up non existent passports every step of the way.

There's a whole lot more and I'm too tired ,ashamed and disillusioned to go there.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

There is nothing wrong with a fear of terrorists, but I just can't see them coming into the UK via the camps in Calais. ISIS have a lot of funds - they can afford fake papers and so send people here without resorting to free rides on a lorry.... especially as that lorry could well be searched on arrival in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you for real? Many people working full time are just managing to keep a roof over their heads...they don't have a the luxury of employing live in carers.

Broken Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with a fear of terrorists, but I just can't see them coming into the UK via the camps in Calais. ISIS have a lot of funds - they can afford fake papers and so send people here without resorting to free rides on a lorry.... especially as that lorry could well be searched on arrival in the UK.

Ok :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's just a cultural difference. Some are more inclined to put family ahead of bricks and mortar whereas it's vice versa in others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They don't have to send terrorists over they have to send sympathizers. People who can lay the ground for the terrorists and support them with money and materials.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I just hope this country knows the enemy within before it is too late, but I suspect I'll have to fight alone while those who defend the idea of running away, run away.

What exactly are you going to be doing to 'fight'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's just a cultural difference. Some are more inclined to put family ahead of bricks and mortar whereas it's vice versa in others.

Also a lot of natives take things for granted, whereas an immigrant will be more inclined to work hard and make the most of the opportunities given in a free country like the UK. It's no wonder why immigrant children tend to do better in school than many of the natives these days. A lot of these EDL types will then blame the immigrants for their own failings in life. It's always easier to blame others.
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member

Absolutely correct, working full time and taking care of very needy elderly people just isn't possible. I was self employed and looked after my father, my mother, then my father in law who were just physically unfit and eventually my mother in law who had senile dementia. I wonder how much some people know about what it takes to look after someone like that, who is supposedly imobile but manages to get out of the house and a fair way down the road the minute your back is turned, someone that is due to the disease very difficult to deal with and sometimes violent, you should try getting a wallop with a walking stick even from a frail eighty year old, a dinner plate aimed at your head. People suffering like this can be very difficult to handle however good your intentions, they also tend not to sleep very well - at night anyway because they've slept during the day, try working, bringing up a young family and taking proper care of someone and yourself - it doesn't work and eventually made me quite ill, but I managed -just.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    They don't have to send terrorists over they have to send sympathizers. People who can lay the ground for the terrorists and support them with money and materials.

Again - why do that via a route where it is so likely they could be caught? It seems the least likely mechanism to use to achieve their goals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    What exactly are you going to be doing to 'fight'?

Well before anyone dares to suggest I wouldn't fight, I did apply to join the army.

Guerrilla warfare
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So they should all happily live together in a tent then...is that what you are saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a lot of natives take things for granted, whereas an immigrant will be more inclined to work hard and make the most of the opportunities given in a free country like the UK. It's no wonder why immigrant children tend to do better in school than many of the natives thesedays.

Indeed. If you've worked to get here, it's less likely you'll squander the chances you came here for. Similarly with Brita who uproot for careers. Not done lightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ilar wrote: »
    Absolutely correct, working full time and taking care of very needy elderly people just isn't possible. I was self employed and looked after my father, my mother, then my father in law who were just physically unfit and eventually my mother in law who had senile dementia. I wonder how much some people know about what it takes to look after someone like that, who is supposedly imobile but manages to get out of the house and a fair way down the road the minute your back is turned, someone that is due to the disease very difficult to deal with and sometimes violent, you should try getting a wallop with a walking stick even from a frail eighty year old, a dinner plate aimed at your head. People suffering like this can be very difficult to handle however good your intentions, they also tend not to sleep very well - at night anyway because they've slept during the day, try working, bringing up a young family and taking proper care of someone and yourself - it doesn't work and eventually made me quite ill, but I managed -just.

So you did manage and it is possible! It all depends how much you care I guess, you clearly cared so kudos to you, sadly many British don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Again - why do that via a route where it is so likely they could be caught? It seems the least likely mechanism to use to achieve their goals.

Because they are not likely to be caught are they.

They are sympathisers so not on the terrorist watch list and if they do get caught they just keep trying again and again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they should all happily live together in a tent then...is that what you are saying?

No. I've never heard of entire families living in tents in the UK. There's no need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. If you've worked to get here, it's less likely you'll squander the chances you came here for. Similarly with Brita who uproot for careers. Not done lightly.

Exactly.
This discussion has been closed.