BBC Trust say BBC1 analogue service should still be available.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Although i'm sure that this is a mistake (the perils of not proof reading copy/paste material), the BBC trust says in this document dated 12 August 2015 that BBC1 should be available "free to air for general reception" in both analogue and digital!

https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/provisional-decision-on-bbc-three-and-others/supporting_documents/service_licences.pdf

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are reciting the service licence which had not been changed since ASO/DSO
    So they are right ..... If it was not the text for the new license
    It is the same fir BBC two ..
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, are they technically breaking the terms of their service licence by not making BBC1 available in analogue?
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No... Because it says should not must, and it is is difficult to broadcast on a platform that no longer exists!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! The march of technology and a "throw away society."

Didn't they keep 405 line transmissions going for twenty years after 625 lines became the norm?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't they keep 405 line transmissions going for twenty years after 625 lines became the norm?

They were terrified of loosing votes despite the evidence that almost no one was watching the service.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was possible to so so - whether 405 was really still needed or not - because the two services were not sharing the same part of the frequency spectrum. That's why DAB, VHF/FM and medium/long wave radio services can all happily co-exist.

Full DSO was only possible once the analogue services were removed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    No... Because it says should not must, and it is is difficult to broadcast on a platform that no longer exists!

But 'should' in this context sounds like a directive to the BBC to broadcast BBC1 in both analogue and digital as a condition of their service licence.

All purely academic now, but to me it looks like the BBC may not be meeting the terms of their service licence for BBC1.

The same may well be the case for BBC2!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But 'should' in this context sounds like a directive to the BBC to broadcast BBC1 in both analogue and digital as a condition of their service licence.

All purely academic now, but to me it looks like the BBC may not be meeting the terms of their service licence for BBC1.

Make an official complaint then, waffling on DS is a waste of time. Why did you post this on the Freeview forum as well? I assume this is a very poor attempt at an anti BBC thread.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure that both the Trust and the BBC have had more important things to worry about!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's no such thing as analogue anymore, didn't they realise what all that "changeover" stuff was all about???

the new terrestrial is now FREEVIEW
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    there's no such thing as analogue anymore, didn't they realise what all that "changeover" stuff was all about???

the new terrestrial is now FREEVIEW

The o/p is renowned for odd posts but this one, that he also put in the Freeview section, is even odder than normal.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Analogue is Freeview these days, What a silly thread through I miss Ceefax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like the way the Daily Telegraph calls anything except channels 1-5 Digital. However as the Sunday Telegraph hasn't discovered Celsius/centigrade yet that's not too surprising.
    Analogue transmission is no more in the UK for TV RIP.
    (I bet someone finds some obscure transmission to claim it still exists, someone on DS usually does.)
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They turned the last 405 transmitter off in early 1985
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No company can be held to the terms of a licence if the government have made that term impossible to achieve. The government directed Ofcom to close down the analogue TV system to free up spectrum for future sale to the highest bidder.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I miss analogue, it was better than what we have now.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

No they are absolutely are not!!!
    This is such a non-issue and nonsensical at best!
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

It was so much better when we only had four channels ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make an official complaint then, waffling on DS is a waste of time. Why did you post this on the Freeview forum as well? I assume this is a very poor attempt at an anti BBC thread.

This is an academic discussion; I am not suggesting that the BBC should reinstate analogue transmissions.

As previously explained, I believe that this may also be of interest to those in that particular forum.

Then you assume wrong. Generally speaking, I am a supporter of the BBC.
    The o/p is renowned for odd posts but this one, that he also put in the Freeview section, is even odder than normal.

And I am assuming that your childish rudeness is driven by your false assumption above.

Analogue transmissions are not digital transmissions and digital transmissions are not analogue transmissions. What a stupid thing to say.
    mrprosser wrote: »
    No company can be held to the terms of a licence if the government have made that term impossible to achieve. The government directed Ofcom to close down the analogue TV system to free up spectrum for future sale to the highest bidder.

I'm sure that the BBC won't have any action taken against it for technically breaching the terms of it's licence (if indeed this is the case.) Maybe some legislation was enacted to deal with this anomaly??

A lot of people swear that a good analogue picture is better than the current digital pictures (not sure that this still applies with the advent of HD).
    popeye13 wrote: »
    No they are absolutely are not!!! This is such a non-issue and nonsensical at best!

Why aren't they? It specifically says that BBC1 should be carried on analogue and digital as terms of the service licence. If it is not, then surely they aren't meeting the terms of their licence.

As an analogy, whilst a student I worked in a nightclub; part of it's supply of alcohol licensing conditions was that food must be made available at all times.

On quiet nights they stopped bothering to open the kitchen; licensing told them that if they did not fulfill the terms of their licence that they would lose their licence to serve alcohol altogether.
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an academic discussion; I am not suggesting that the BBC should reinstate analogue transmissions.

As previously explained, I believe that this may also be of interest to those in that particular forum.

Then you assume wrong. Generally speaking, I am a supporter of the BBC.

And I am assuming that your childish rudeness is driven by your false assumption above.

Analogue transmissions are not digital transmissions and digital transmissions are not analogue transmissions. What a stupid thing to say.

I'm sure that the BBC won't have any action taken against it for technically breaching the terms of it's licence (if indeed this is the case.) Maybe some legislation was enacted to deal with this anomaly??

A lot of people swear that a good analogue picture is better than the current digital pictures (not sure that this still applies with the advent of HD).

Why aren't they? It specifically says that BBC1 should be carried on analogue and digital as terms of the service licence. If it is not, then surely they aren't meeting the terms of their licence.

As an analogy, whilst a student I worked in a nightclub; part of it's supply of alcohol licensing conditions was that food must be made available at all times.

On quiet nights they stopped bothering to open the kitchen; licensing told them that if they did not fulfill the terms of their licence that they would lose their licence to serve alcohol altogether.

You have every right to discuss this if you wish to! If others don't want to, then they are not obligated to be here, they can do something else!

I do understand your argument. What is the point in having a service licence if you are not able to fulfill it for whatever reason? Obviously, the government have effectively prevented the BBC from doing so in selling off the the bandwidth. However, I suspect your more serious point is not about whether the BBC should be broadcasting in analogue, it's the fact that the terms of their licence actually don't seem to matter that much. This is probably more to do with whether the regulator wants to do anything about it. In this case it obviously would make no sense take any action, but in a case where breaching the terms of its licence materially affected the public, then it would have the powers to act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    You have every right to discuss this if you wish to! If others don't want to, then they are not obligated to be here, they can do something else!

I do understand your argument. What is the point in having a service licence if you are not able to fulfill it for whatever reason? Obviously, the government have effectively prevented the BBC from doing so in selling off the the bandwidth. However, I suspect your more serious point is not about whether the BBC should be broadcasting in analogue, it's the fact that the terms of their licence actually don't seem to matter that much. This is probably more to do with whether the regulator wants to do anything about it. In this case it obviously would make no sense take any action, but in a case where breaching the terms of its licence materially affected the public, then it would have the powers to act.

Thanks- you've hit the nail on the head.

It would be interesting to know whether this anomaly was dealt with to supercede the licence in question; but shouldn't the requirement be removed? It's farcical that a document published only yesterday is referring to a requirement to broadcast in analogue.

If this is a case where a blind eye has been turned (even if it is appropriate to do so on the grounds of common sense), I wonder if this could have implications for other licence holders.

Maybe a struggling TV channel could decide to drop a requirement of their licence on the basis that they need to urgently cut costs to actually survive. They could then put an argument forward to their regulator that their decision was based on what they considered to be common sense and quote the BBC non compliance situation.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was it better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    It was so much better when we only had four channels ^_^

It was, content was better, now they just spreading crap around lots of channels. TV have been going downhill for years, even before the digital switchover, but it have certainly got worse since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T

The only problem with Analogue is no widescreen, not that it was not possible. But yes the picture quality was better than digital. sure we now have HD, but that is cut down. Also people had to buy new equipment to get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How was it better?

Better picture quality, better sound quality, slightly better content as they was not trying to fill up a load of useless channels. We still get new channels, wich have more of the same thing, look at Channel 5 and their newest channel Spike, it is not much difference to what they already have got.

If some of these channels was taken off, the space could be used to improve the picture quality.