Options

Your Oldest Cookery Book?

dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
Forum Member
✭✭
I dont know if they still do it but usually when you buy a new cooker you get *cookery book* that goes with the appliance, they used to do that years ago so not sure they still do it.

I have an old *Regulo 6* book from 1938, its so interesting to read some of the recipes....some of them make me cringe but I realise it was the *thing* in those days..for eg: Calves Heel soup.......:eek:

Actually the the *invalid* bit is quite helpful...:o

Calves heel soup was one of them...but actually the pastry part of the book is quite good as well....It's just an *interesting read*....cos me nan had one of those cookers......:D

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a commercial book but I do have my maternal Great Grandmothers hand written book which my Grandmother added to in her life time. I have added a few too over the years. The first recipe written in it was in 1856. It has fascinating (to me) little asides about daily life and who in their families liked what and what they didn't like but had to eat.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandma just past her Austrian cookbook on to me which is from the early 1930's.

Only trouble is, I don't speak or read Austrian (well, German technically) so that's going to be fun! A book the thickness of about two yellow pages to try and translate! And that's not to mention the added recipes on sheets of paper put in by her mum who seemed to have worse hand writing than my doctor!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Not a commercial book but I do have my maternal Great Grandmothers hand written book which my Grandmother added to in her life time. I have added a few too over the years. The first recipe written in it was in 1856. It has fascinating (to me) little asides about daily life and who in their families liked what and what they didn't like but had to eat.

I have one of these too - it even has recipes for stuff like cough mixture in it. I can only imagine the reaction if you were to go into the chemist these days and ask for laudanum!! :D
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calf's heel's are still popular in parts of France, gran used them in vegetable soups for flavour and the are quite gelatinous and help thicken. I sometimes make pigs trotters with mushy peas, lots of black pepper and vinegar and hot crusty bread is yummy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Fanny Craddock cookbook on ebay. Never going to cook anything from it, but just love the woman !
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 1895 Mrs Beeton's. Lovely bit of British Imperialism :D
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my great grandmother's Mrs Beeton - no date in it, but she's put her name in as Mary Jenkins, which she wasn't until about 1918, and she only was for a short while, so it must be from around then. It's a bit delicate, but there are COLOUR plates showing fish in aspic with mayonnaise flowers, and rather nasty roast hares heads on.

I also have my grandmother's Good Housekeeping book of Popular Cookery, dated 1951, which is great because it contains lots of pencilled in notes like "this made Lorna sick" and "needs much more salt". It opens automatically to the sponge cakes chapter, which is covered in bits of what feel like batter or egg.

I don't use either of them to actually cook, but they're fascinating to read.

The oldest book I use to cook with is my own first cookery book, Cooking is a Game You Can Eat, 1975 (I was 3) and it has completely fallen apart and bits of it are covered in batter, circles from cups, and floury fingerprints. It had loads of fun kids' recipes, of which I still use the sponge cake one, and the fudge one (those pages are filthy!) sometimes. I particularly enjoy following them and giggling at the bit where it says "call your mummy to do this bit" or "get a grown up to light the oven!"
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have loads of cookery books but I had to be ruthless when I had new kitchen, lots of em went to charity , I realise now that some of them are out of print now.....DAMN:mad:
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a copy of Cookery For Girls by Margaret G Laskie, from the Junior Teach Yourself Books range, printed in 1950. I've had it since my younger days, but must add I was born well after 1950. I have a leaf through once in a while of all the back to basics stuff. No grams and kilos, how to and what to feed invalids, how to boil and egg, and how to clean burnt pans with washing soda.
    Recipes include Kidney soup, tripe, rabbit, fried potato chips in dripping, curry made with apples, loads of steamed puddings, and of course all the stuff I remember from Junior school like boiled cod.
    It's falling apart but I'll always keep it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have a cook book made by The Women's Service League of St Paul's Church Burlington. Vermont. Copyright 1951.

It was my Grandmas. It has a recipe for seal in it. Poor seals.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that old but 1967 edition Larousse Gastronomique, a simply wonderful reference source.

New ones available
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Larousse-Gastronomique-Greatest-Cookery-Encyclopedia/dp/0600602354