The Hunt for Britain’s Sex Gangs, C4&HD 9pm, 23 May

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Times
    Three years of superb filming show the course of Operation Chalice, a police investigation into the rape and trafficking of underage girls in Telford, Shropshire. The crimes are horrendous – the details we hear give a sense of blankly evil acts.

We watch as police raid the home of the suspected ringleader and see his interrogation. We hear from victims (“I felt my mind was shattered like a glass,” says one). Then we learn how in court, victims faced a new ordeal, repeatedly asked why they were lying by waves of defence barristers. It’s a shocking account of police work at its toughest and a powerful argument for changing how these cases are tried.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/wrxjg/the-hunt-for-britains-sex-gangs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Purvis ‏@helenpurvis1 1h
    Can't recommend @Tazeenahmad reporting on The Hunt For Britain's Sex Gangs @C4Dispatches highly enough. Powerful, moving, shocking at 9pm.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Is this about Muslim sex gangs? if it is this is the last thing people need to see especially with anger still simmering over yesterday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Is this about Muslim sex gangs? if it is this is the last thing people need to see especially with anger still simmering over yesterday.

It doesn't specify whether it's Muslim, specifically.

Sorry if there is a thread already. I did do a search first for threads with Dispatches in the title.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting up now... also added my own thread - sorry.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1829687

Starting up..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be a very difficult watch.
  • QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is the men are Pakistani and that cannot be denied.

But above all else, they are criminals first and foremostly.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    One of the blokes in the mugshot was sporting a very artistic beard:D
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    This is going to be a very difficult watch.

You can say that again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if the police officers had access to counselling. Good that they did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend works for the CPS. She works on some pretty tough cases and says they get offers of counselling. But they haven't worked on anything quite like this. Not surprised some of them need counselling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that it's easier to get a conviction for trafficking than for rape.
  • LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member

Last thing?

Perhaps it is the first thing people need to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that it's easier to get a conviction for trafficking than for rape.

it's all about hard evidence in court. Rape is difficult to prove that it was non-consensual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice bit of data mining...
  • topupkrazytopupkrazy Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    This is sickening
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This muppet is hoisting himself by his own petard...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    That bloke with the dodgy beard landed himself right in it their. Reminds me of this scene in Menace II Society:Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2v-8ctq5x4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie must have consented to being filmed (before the arrest) - arrogant b*stard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kier Starmer, the DPP was saying the other day that it was the duty of barristers to defend their clients by any legal means, and hinted that changes could be made to the adversarial system for cases like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, to say alot of people round here are furious and being very racist would be an understatement.

What annoys me is the police have been letting them get away with it for years and many girls lives are already blighted beyond repair by these sexist animals. It's too late imo for all this action, it should have been commenced 10 years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    it's all about hard evidence in court. Rape is difficult to prove that it was non-consensual.

The law need changing, if that means an innocent man gets labelled a rapist once in a while so be it. Much more rapists get off than men who are falsely accused. It is a failure to all women this current system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Article by Anna Hall about the making of the documentary
    http://truevisiontv.com/uploads/websites/39/wysiwyg/H4BSG_Broadcast.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJM91 wrote: »
    The law need changing, if that means an innocent man gets labelled a rapist once in a while so be it. Much more rapists get off than men who are falsely accused. It is a failure to all women this current system.

But men who are falsely accused do not remain anonymous until convicted. Even if found innocent. It sticks. That ca't be right.