Which iPhone cycle are you on?

JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the people that upgrade their iPhones every two years, are you on the 'number' or the 's' cycle and which one would you prefer to be on?

I prefer the 'S' cycle, as it's usually a more settled in and updated phone.

In the other argument, the first cycles get the new design and major new features first.

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I'm on the number update and deliberately kept my 3Gs for 3 years to achieve it.
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is how much of a life I don't have!
    :)
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I upgrade each year so don't have to worry about issues such as this! ;)
  • Tariq_ali1Tariq_ali1 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    There was a reddit discussion about this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1iz1db/which_iphone_bandwagon_is_better_the_original_or/

Me? Privileged to be able to pick a new model every year, but would settle on the 's' cycle if I had to choose.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on IP5S from June 2014 , I did get a great deal from Vodafone,I got a free Ip5s (nothing upfront) and unlimited mins,unlimited texts and 13GB of data and Free spotify premium for the length of the contract all for £30 pm,it is a 24 month contract

My daughter is trying to get me to upgrade her IP5 to IP6,(she would get my IP5s to replace her IP5) I would get the new IP6

Just waiting for a few weeks to her upgrade date to see what gets offered

Not really bothered about waiting for 6S if the price is right
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No cycle as such. But I guess I'm more on the number cycle.
    I had the 4, 5, 5S and the 6 Plus.
  • Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Only had one iPhone and thats my iPhone 5S (which I desperately want rid of now).

Undecided whether to get the iPhone 6S in September or go back to Android and get the Sony Xperia Z4 as I am a wee bit sick of being looked down at by iPhone 6/6+ users. Think I've realised that iPhone's aren't phones they are fashion accessories and anyone with "last years" or dare I say older are made to feel like crap and worthless.

At least Android users aren't made to feel tha they are obliged to spend £500+ every year to have the latest and most fashionable phone. I am gutted I sold my Sony Xperia Z that I had for 4 months to get the iPhone 5s :cry:
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    Robbo19 wrote: »
    Think I've realised that iPhone's aren't phones they are fashion accessories and anyone with "last years" or dare I say older are made to feel like crap and worthless.

I think you need some better friends rather than a new phone :-/
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Only had one iPhone and thats my iPhone 5S (which I desperately want rid of now).

Undecided whether to get the iPhone 6S in September or go back to Android and get the Sony Xperia Z4 as I am a wee bit sick of being looked down at by iPhone 6/6+ users. Think I've realised that iPhone's aren't phones they are fashion accessories and anyone with "last years" or dare I say older are made to feel like crap and worthless.

At least Android users aren't made to feel tha they are obliged to spend £500+ every year to have the latest and most fashionable phone. I am gutted I sold my Sony Xperia Z that I had for 4 months to get the iPhone 5s :cry:

Have you considered professional help? you really do sound as if you could use some if your posts are genuinely how you feel and not just a pisstake.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What you need is new friends. Not a different phone.

I have an iPhone 5. Not even a 5s. An almost three year old 5. Nobody I know gives a flying toss what phone I do or don't have. I know one person with an iPhone 6. Since she has a life she doesn't spend her time making other people feel bad about anything they may or may not have. We're I to walk around with a Nokia 3310 non of my friends would bat an eye lid because they're friends and thankfully they care about me. Not what possessions I have.

The only person placing such importance on their phone is you. You may see it as a fashion accessory because you've placed massively exaggerated importance on it. Nobody else cares. And no matter what phone you have there will be a new one out soon after.

So my advice to you is to get yourself some better friends. Or seek professional help because it's not normal to place such importance on a phone.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a 3G and have a 4S now. When there's an update this year I'll probably get a cheaper 6 or a 6S, depending on specs and prices. My 4S is definitely getting a little long in the tooth, but it still fundamentally does what I need it to and still receives updates.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I'm on a yearly cycle...
  • Tariq_ali1Tariq_ali1 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I'm on the number update and deliberately kept my 3Gs for 3 years to achieve it.
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is how much of a life I don't have!

That must have feel like an upgrade and a half at the time!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've managed to trade and part exchange my way up to a 5s, which I have every intention of making my "last" phone - unless it dies. Don't really like the 6 so not really interested in trying to get one.

If they made the inevitable 7 the same size as the 5 with the same 128gb memory as the 6 then i might consider it, but it took me long enough to get the 5s, so ultimately i doubt it'll ever happen.

Quite happy with the 5s though.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumped from a 4 to a 6, with a painful affair with a Nexus 5 for 6 months.
  • a4704a4704 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Jumped from a 4 to a 6, with a painful affair with a Nexus 5 for 6 months.

I'm in a similar situation. I had an iPhone 4S which was unfortunately stolen from my home in late 2013. The insurance company deemed the iPhone to be worth £300 so I decided that I would replace the iPhone 4S with another phone of that value instead of forking out for a new iPhone 5. I purchased the then new Nexus 5 for £299, which is an awful phone in my opinion. Very fragmented, poor quality applications in comparison to iOS with an extremely poor camera, slow charging, poor battery life and severe heat issues to boot. My family and I have been firmly engrossed in the Apple ecosystem and have been since the late eighties so will be upgrading to a 6S Plus at the nearest available opportunity.
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    I think you need some better friends rather than a new phone :-/
    d123 wrote: »
    Have you considered professional help? you really do sound as if you could use some if your posts are genuinely how you feel and not just a pisstake.
    Lyceum wrote: »
    What you need is new friends. Not a different phone.

I have an iPhone 5. Not even a 5s. An almost three year old 5. Nobody I know gives a flying toss what phone I do or don't have. I know one person with an iPhone 6. Since she has a life she doesn't spend her time making other people feel bad about anything they may or may not have. We're I to walk around with a Nokia 3310 non of my friends would bat an eye lid because they're friends and thankfully they care about me. Not what possessions I have.

The only person placing such importance on their phone is you. You may see it as a fashion accessory because you've placed massively exaggerated importance on it. Nobody else cares. And no matter what phone you have there will be a new one out soon after.

So my advice to you is to get yourself some better friends. Or seek professional help because it's not normal to place such importance on a phone.

I wasn't mainly referring to myself I was just saying how Apple iPhone users are in general, if you look at people in the street, on trains/buses etc. the only people that seem to be happy and show-off are iPhone 6/6+ owners. It's the same on Twitter and Instagram about 95% of selfies posted are by people with the 6/6+ I rarely see an iPhone 5s or earlier selfie now. Oh and trust me I've had sniggers and sly looks from people with the 6/6+ if I have needed to use my 5s in their presence on the train, mainly when I'm visiting family in Liverpool.

Me, personally I've gone past caring now, I've done 6 months hating and feeling ashamed of my iPhone 5s so what's another 6 months hey, maybe it's because I'm a 25 year old gay lad from Scotland that makes me feel the need to look the best I can. I can't wait to upgrade and NEVER get a 24 month contract again.
    Forum Member
    I wasn't mainly referring to myself I was just saying how Apple iPhone users are in general, if you look at people in the street, on trains/buses etc. the only people that seem to be happy and show-off are iPhone 6/6+ owners. It's the same on Twitter and Instagram about 95% of selfies posted are by people with the 6/6+ I rarely see an iPhone 5s or earlier selfie now. Oh and trust me I've had sniggers and sly looks from people with the 6/6+ if I have needed to use my 5s in their presence on the train, mainly when I'm visiting family in Liverpool.

Me, personally I've gone past caring now, I've done 6 months hating and feeling ashamed of my iPhone 5s so what's another 6 months hey, maybe it's because I'm a 25 year old gay lad from Scotland that makes me feel the need to look the best I can. I can't wait to upgrade and NEVER get a 24 month contract again.

You are imagining things, other people don't care what phone you have, I have an iPhone 6, I also have a 5, I also have a Alcatel One Touch Pop that cost £20 from Argos, no one looks or cares whether I am holding my iPhone 6 or the Alcatel, whether I am on the train, plane or in a restaurant..

You need to get someone to help you understand it's all in your head...
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey, don't worry about it. People ARE over obsessed with the latest gadgets these days. The 5S is still a very good phone, I prefer it's looks over the 6. I'm on a 5 btw. :)

I've done some searching about, and it seems for what I want, PAYG is no cheaper than a 24 monther. I like Spotify thrown in, either that or I pay extra for it either way.

I'm waiting for GS4 contract to expire next month, and will probably wait until the next release to get back on the iPhone ladder.:D
    Forum Member
    Thankfully I won't be having my iPhone 5s until September after all, just pre ordered the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for delivery on 10 April :)

Ok yeah I'm not really fussy on how the phone looks and I'm really gutted to be getting rid of iOS as a whole but at least I'll be getting a flagship shiny new phone in only 15 days time rather than stick with my iPhone 5s and wait until the iPhone 6s is released in September.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Living in Liverpool I use my iPhone 5 on the train/bus/in the street daily and have never once had anyone sniggering or giving me sly looks. Trust me, nobody here cares that much about you or your phone to not only pay attention to the phone you have but to go to the effort of mocking you for it.

I can only imagine it's all in your head. As I said YOU have placed a massive amount of importance on something nobody else gives a crap about.
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Living in Liverpool I use my iPhone 5 on the train/bus/in the street daily and have never once had anyone sniggering or giving me sly looks. Trust me, nobody here cares that much about you or your phone to not only pay attention to the phone you have but to go to the effort of mocking you for it.

I can only imagine it's all in your head. As I said YOU have placed a massive amount of importance on something nobody else gives a crap about.

As I have posted earlier the next time I'm in Liverpool now I will have a nice (well not that nice to look at) modern and NEW Galaxy S6 Edge on a 12 month contract so won't have to worry again :)

Would have loved to kept to a Apple iPhone but couldn't wait that long for the 6S to come out, will be gutted if I like it over the S6 Edge mind.
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    I also have a Alcatel One Touch Pop that cost £20 from Argos

OMG!!! I'm never talking to you again.
    I can't be seen conversing with you and THAT phone.
    People with crap phones are so cheap!!!
    Hahahahahahahahaha :D
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    OMG!!! I'm never talking to you again.
    I can't be seen conversing with you and THAT phone.
    People with crap phones are so cheap!!!
    Hahahahahahahahaha :D

LOL

After a few glasses of a good Chardonnay they all look the same ;)
    Forum Member
    In the words of the late great Eric Morcambe...
    I'll give you that sunshine.... I'll give you that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have posted earlier the next time I'm in Liverpool now I will have a nice (well not that nice to look at) modern and NEW Galaxy S6 Edge on a 12 month contract so won't have to worry again :)

Would have loved to kept to a Apple iPhone but couldn't wait that long for the 6S to come out, will be gutted if I like it over the S6 Edge mind.

If someone is checking out your phone they are probably planning to nick it not judging you for it.