Car tax worry

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Car Tax ran out at 00:00 this morning but I can't afford to tax it again until Wednesday probably again at midnight. I am worried that I will get fined or have my car taken away as I haven't paid my car tax. It's currently in my driveway and won't be used at all until taxed.

What can happen to me/the car?

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFAIK, it's fine off the road. I don't think there's any need to notify the DVLA, but you might as well just to be on the safe side.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you buy it online, since it will take a few days to clear your debit card?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically I think you can get a fine right away, but in reality you have a few weeks before you should start to worry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macaroni wrote: »
    Can't you buy it online, since it will take a few days to clear your debit card?

It usually takes 48 hours which means if I do it now it comes out Thursday or Wed and means basically I get a fine from Lloyds to and considering I want a job there too I don't want to ruin my credit either. I am so worried abuot this:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFAIK, it's fine off the road. I don't think there's any need to notify the DVLA, but you might as well just to be on the safe side.

You have to SORN any car that isn't taxed, and tell them where it is kept.
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if you buy your car tax online, you cannot use the car until the tax disc arrives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    It usually takes 48 hours which means if I do it now it comes out Thursday or Wed and means basically I get a fine from Lloyds to and considering I want a job there too I don't want to ruin my credit either. I am so worried abuot this:(

Can you not chat up a family member or partner and use their card online or cash at a post office?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family have no money available and no friends either.I may just put it on my card and let the fines fall where they may
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if you were working away, on holiday or dead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eh? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Declare it SORN online (and make sure you don't use the car on a public road) then buy the tax at a PO as soon as funds allow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading this it looks like you have until the 5th of the month to SORN it so you should be fine. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much guys I feel so much better now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering as I am taxing it online can I drive it as soon as it's taxed or do I have to wait for the disc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need to sorn it and you will be fine till the end of this week. Don't leave it any longer though - keep it on your drive and you don't need to inform DVLA if you are intending to tax it within the next few days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :) I am taxing it in about 26 hours so in total it'll be about 50 hours untaxed. Can I drive it straightaway or do I have to wait for the disc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :) I am taxing it in about 26 hours so in total it'll be about 50 hours untaxed. Can I drive it straightaway or do I have to wait for the disc?
    It's illegal to use it on the road if you don't display a valid tax disk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...crap :D

Guess i'll have to arrange some lifts then :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...crap :D

Guess i'll have to arrange some lifts then :D

You could try this:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Only Fools.

I hear conflicting reports that your car will be on DVLAs database which police check so it's fine.I am so confused :D
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,441
    Forum Member
    sorry to take over the thread but i've got a small query - my insurance policy is with swift cover but being internet only i don't get paper copies of my insurance documents, I need to get my car tax as it ran out last night and can't wait for it to get done online do you think that the PO will accept my insurance certificate if i print a copy off myself from my swift cover account?
  • John MajorJohn Major Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a friend who had left it two weeks' on the road, before a local authority sign was put up with ''Tax it, or get it crushed'' no fine or letter from the DVLA. Incidentally, it got crushed as it was a pile of toot Peugeot
  • John MajorJohn Major Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    sorry to take over the thread but i've got a small query - my insurance policy is with swift cover but being internet only i don't get paper copies of my insurance documents, I need to get my car tax as it ran out last night and can't wait for it to get done online do you think that the PO will accept my insurance certificate if i print a copy off myself from my swift cover account?

Yeah, I'm fairly sure; does it look like a usual Certifcate of Motor Insurance?
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the advice here is wrong, or risky.

The law changed a while back (2004). There are now ONLY two options - tax your car or SORN it. There is no option to do anything else - the fine is now automatic, the only question is how many days grace you get, and they don't tell you that. :rolleyes:

Best advice is to SORN it online NOW. You then tax it when you can. Alhough you shouldn't drive it without displaying a valid tax disc, you'll probably get away with it, as long as the main database shows the vehicle with valid tax.

DVLA
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enigma. wrote: »
    Reading this it looks like you have until the 5th of the month to SORN it so you should be fine. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022058
    It doesn't mean that. It says you can SORN it from the 5th of the month in which the previous tax or SORN expires (so 25 days overlap). They don't/won't tell you what the grace period is for the new Road Tax regime is.