Portable system with DAB, CD, FM, cassette rec/play and internal mic?

I bought a Goodmans GPS285DAB portable system as a gift to my wife some months ago and she has only just tried to record to the cassette recorder. We are VERY disappointed with the playback quality from the cassette recorder from any of the sources, internal microphone, CD, DAB, etc. The background noise is appallingly high, with rhythmic thumping noises and hiss, sounding much like DC recording bias and permanent magnet erase have been used, or the tape head is badly magnetised. I have tried using two types of ordinary ferric tape - no difference. I have demagnetised the head, but no change. I did a search on the internet and found an Amazon review of this machine from another disgruntled owner who said the recorded quality was "c**p". This owner obtained a replacement which was the same, so I reckon the basic design is at fault. Unusual for Goodmans, but I suppose you get what you pay for. I am planning to return it to the supplier for a refund, but will need a replacement.
Does anyone know of a good complete system, with the same facilities, (internal mic or mic/aux input is a must) for under £200. I know I can get separates, but these will work out much more expensive and linked-together separates are not easy to carry around the house. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I cann't offer any help to the problem, but could I ask does it record radio programmes from the CD recorder?
    I would be interested in obtaining a machine like you have.
  • oldieoldie Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Hi ICEUK, I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but the CD on the Goodmans unit is an ordinary player of audio CDs, not a recorder. The only recording facility on it is the compact cassette recorder/player. If you want to record radio programmes on to an audio CD for eventual playback on a CD player, you need an audio CD recorder of which there are a few around, (I have a Marantz which is a few years old) and a suitable radio tuner.
    There may well be a combined unit, but I don't know one, so suggest you try searching the Internet or have a look at one of the many mags which do equipment reviews.
    You can also record radio programmes on to a suitably equipped PC or laptop using a radio tuner.