Options

Biggest comeback flops.

Comments

• Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I think that Nelly Furtado and Christina Aguilera's album were perhaps a flop in terms of low sales and low critical acclaim. Whereas MDNA by madonna still was number 1 in 38 countries world wide and one of the top 20 best selling albums of 2012. It also accompanied the biggest tv musical audience for superbowl and biggest selling tour and received a decent level of critical acclaim. But I agree it was her lowest sales for an album and produced low charting singles in the UK.
  • Options
    GagaKeshaMinajGagaKeshaMinaj Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warrior did flop for Ke$ha but the thread is about comebacks which flopped. Ke$ha didn't have a comeback :)

JT cam back and did well
    XTina came back and did awful
    Britney came back and did OK
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    In terms of Indie and Rock bands

Travis- The Man who and The Invisible band were massive hits but after that they came nowhere near topping those albums

The Verve- Fourth their comeback album went to number 1 but didn't sell nowhere near the same as Urban Hymns.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said Whitney was a flop, but it was an album that came and went. Plus on financial side, her label lost money for the tour and the tour was critically panned. I did explain that. So on a financial side, Whitney wasn't making her label a lot of money and that's where it really stems for something to be classed as a flop or not.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warrior did flop for Ke$ha but the thread is about comebacks which flopped. Ke$ha didn't have a comeback :)

JT cam back and did well
    XTina came back and did awful
    Britney came back and did OK

JT's come back has been a huge success for him how did he in anyway flop :confused:
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    I never said Whitney was a flop, but it was an album that came and went. Plus on financial side, her label lost money for the tour and the tour was critically panned. I did explain that. So on a financial side, Whitney wasn't making her label a lot of money and that's where it really stems for something to be classed as a flop or not.

sending Whitney out on tour was a horrendously bad decision, her voice was nothing like her heydey, had they kept her appearances to pre-recorded TV shows they could have covered up the fact she had lost her voice.

Instead everyone has seen the infamous Youtube clips of her belting out 'I Will Always Love You' and missing all of the notes! and then we had the chaotic XFactor performance:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Evanescence - Evanescence. Not really a "flop" compared to so many other artists and albums, as it debuted on #1 on Billboard, sold more than half a million etc, but compared to The Open Door, it's somewhat of a "flop", as TOD sold more than two million copies in USA, Evanescence sold a fourth of that.

There was 5 years between The Open Door and Evanescence. That probably played a part. I think it's a fantastic album, by the way :)
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next big comeback flop will, I predict, be N-Dubz.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    JT's come back has been a huge success for him how did he in anyway flop :confused:

Cant you read? The poster said Justin did well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    The Tings Tings - Sounds From Noweheresville.
    Nelly Furtardo - The Spirit Indestructible
    Little Boots - Nocturnes
    The Saturdays - On The Radar
    Ke$ha - Warrior
    Sophie Ellis Bexter - Make A Scene
    Christina Aguleria - Lotus

^These are actual flop albums, Some of the other suggestions are pretty stupid to be honest.

Madonna - MDNA,
    Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby,
    Evanescence - Evanescence
    Whitney Houston - I Look To You
    Britney Spears - Femme Fatel

^ Whislit these have been mentioned as flop they are not. All have sold over 1,500,000 worldwide (Evanescence have only sold like 1 mill) so have achieved success, just not to their usual standards.

This.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to Kimberly Walsh's often plugged on Strictly Come Dancing, solo album ?
    I don't follow the charts.
  • Options
    swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Christina Aguilera has had two in a row.
    Ke$ha had a flop with Warrior.
    All Saints, Spice Girls and Madonna have also had recent flops.

(just a note, I'm classing these comebacks as flops because they were no where near as successful as past comebacks)

In fairness the greatest hits that Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) was taken from went to #2 behind Leona Lewis' huge selling debut album "Spirit" and went platinum. The single was also released AFTER the greatest hits which was odd.

They probably shouldn't have bothered releasing Headline's as a single and just did what Steps did with their second greatest hits & Dancing Queen.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was 5 years between The Open Door and Evanescence. That probably played a part. I think it's a fantastic album, by the way :)

I was actually surprised at how well they've done with their latest album considering it wasn't really 'commercial' in comparison to TOD or even Fallen, and especially in the current music climate with Pop/Dance dominating the scene. Seems they still have a pretty solid fan base! Hopefully there won't be a massive gap between 'Evanescence' and a new album or even a solo album from Amy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Doubt flopped with their first album for 10 years horrendously last year despite an X Factor appearance.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternal back in 1999. I guess people gave up on them after they were down to just 2 members.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    No Doubt flopped with their first album for 10 years horrendously last year despite an X Factor appearance.

Their last two albums peaked at #31 and #43 in the UK and their sales were minuscule compared to the success of Tragic Kingdom. You can't really call Push & Shove a flop in the UK because they are not big sellers here at all, with the exception of Tragic Kingdom and their Greatest Hits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I was referring to the X Factor performance which usually boosts sale. Really surprised that Rock Steady made no. 43 despite having several hits.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Their last two albums peaked at #31 and #43 in the UK and their sales were minuscule compared to the success of Tragic Kingdom. You can't really call Push & Shove a flop in the UK because they are not big sellers here at all, with the exception of Tragic Kingdom and their Greatest Hits.

But even in the US, the album didn't make an impact. I believe it is their lowest selling album since the early days of their career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Aloud - Ten
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud Ten didnt do as good but it was a rehash greatest hits that sold almost 200,000 so i wouldnt say a flop.

East 17 have had huge flops since trying to return and 5ive made a previous attempt that flopped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Pippa2012 wrote: »
    Girls Aloud Ten didnt do as good but it was a rehash greatest hits that sold almost 200,000 so i wouldnt say a flop.

East 17 have had huge flops since trying to return and 5ive made a previous attempt that flopped.

Boyzone's comeback(inspired by Take That's, presumably) was flopping pretty bad until Stephen Gately(RIP) died, as I remember. Rightly or wrongly, it put the spotlight back on them and I think they released another album and did another tour as a result.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    This.

i would bet good money that the albums you reckon where NOT flops because they shifted at least 1.5 million units LOST alot more money that the ones at the top of your list .
    how much do you reckon it costs for the likes of madonna [and the other big artist you mentioned] to make an album and promote it ?......millions and millions.......so pound for pound the albums you say where NOT a flop actually are bigger flops.....in my opinion that is;)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    MC hammer comeback as a gangster rapper
    '

Stop! Hammer time![/Mark Lamarr]
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Christina, woulnd't Bionic be classed as her "comeback" album as opposed to Lotus? Bionic was her first album, not inlcuding the Greatest Hits, since Back To Basics was released in 2006. A four year gap between the two, and after she took time out to have Max.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »
    shame that i thought bionic was fantastic and lotus was good too

do people still care about xtina anymore? :(
    I also thought both albums were solid. Neither of them aged particularly well, but still good albums nonetheless. Bad single choices and poor promotion really ruined her chances in both eras.

But people still care about her. Her collaborations with Maroon 5 and Pitbull were smash hits and pretty much saved the careers of the respective main artists after a few flop singles/ albums. And obviously she still gets plenty of attention as a celebrity. She just has to go back to standing out instead of fitting in. She ALWAYS succeeds when she goes against the grain a little bit.