Whitening artificial and natural teeth

TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
Forum Member
✭✭
Apart from changing existing bridges, crowns, veneers and whitening remaining teeth, there seems to be no way of whitening that isn't expensive.
All these products and methods of whitening teeth are no good for some of us older people who had crowns and bridges made to match the natural teeth which were not very white.
It would cost a fortune to have a complete teeth makeover.
In these days of advances in dentistry, there must be a way of improving the whiteness of existing teeth without enormous cost?
Would be marvellous if natural and artificial teeth could be treated with liquid enamel which could be bonded onto the surfaces.

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crowns, fillings, bridges etc can't be whitened. You'd have to get your natural teeth whitened and then have any crowns, fillings etc (at least any that are visible when you smile) replaced to match the colour of your natural teeth. Teeth whitening isn't expensive...I paid £399 to have it in 2008 and my teeth still look amazing. I don't have any fillings or anything though. I'm not sure how much it would cost if you needed all those replaced.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,369
    Forum Member
    Teeth whitening by using bleach trays isn't as expensive as you think.

You pay for the mould to be done to make the initial trays, and usually the bleach is included in that price, but you can subsequently buy bleach refills on the internet for very little. So essentially whilst it's an upfront cost, it evens itself out over time.

I had trays made and my teeth whitened. I top it up twice a year or so. It was worth every penny IMO, makes me feel far more confident (and my teeth aren't blindingly white, they just look naturally white if you know what I mean).
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know artificial teeth can't be whitened.
    The point I am making, is that there is nothing out there for those who have crowns, bridges or veneers plus natural teeth.
    Replacing all crowns etc would cost an absolute fortune, which unless you are Katie Price, isn't affordable by the average person, who is condemned to have dingy teeth
    In these days of advances in dentistry, why isn't there some treatment eg enamelling,that can be applied to both natural and artificial teeth?
    There are products that can be painted on, but they are temporary, and not very good.
    Something permanent is required.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a word of warning is in order, as I've seen quite a few people (not just Americans) whose teeth look positively comical because of their totally unnatural appearance. Many people have teeth which are naturally of what you might describe as more ivory in tone, but they still look far better than a gaudy expanse of fluorescent white.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    You pay for the mould to be done to make the initial trays, and usually the bleach is included in that price, but you can subsequently buy bleach refills on the internet for very little.

You can actually buy 'Boil n Form' trays/moulds for a couple of quid on the internets, so you don't even have to go to the dentist for that now.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    I know artificial teeth can't be whitened.
    The point I am making, is that there is nothing out there for those who have crowns, bridges or veneers plus natural teeth.
    Replacing all crowns etc would cost an absolute fortune, which unless you are Katie Price, isn't affordable by the average person, who is condemned to have dingy teeth
    In these days of advances in dentistry, why isn't there some treatment eg enamelling,that can be applied to both natural and artificial teeth?
    There are products that can be painted on, but they are temporary, and not very good.
    Something permanent is required.

I don't really understand what it is exactly that you expect dentists etc to come up with. Only natural teeth can be whitened, there's nothing that can be done about that, it's just the way it is. If someone has that many crowns, bridges, fillings etc then they've obviously negelcted their dental hygeine during their life. Big advances in dentistry have been made, however the causes of needing things like crowns, bridges, fillings etc have been known for absolutely years so if you'[ve neglected to look after your mouth, then that's your own fault really. I'm talking about someone with a quite a few fillings, bridges, crowns by the way. A lot of people have the odd filling.
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand what it is exactly that you expect dentists etc to come up with. Only natural teeth can be whitened, there's nothing that can be done about that, it's just the way it is. If someone has that many crowns, bridges, fillings etc then they've obviously negelcted their dental hygeine during their life. Big advances in dentistry have been made, however the causes of needing things like crowns, bridges, fillings etc have been known for absolutely years so if you'[ve neglected to look after your mouth, then that's your own fault really. I'm talking about someone with a quite a few fillings, bridges, crowns by the way. A lot of people have the odd filling.

How rude!

I have a mouth full of veneers that were put in when I was 16 due to a medical issue. I also have crowns, fillings, bridges and everything else - I have only one tooth in my mouth that hasn't had work on it.

I brush morning and night, mouthwash and floss every day - and I have done since I was a child. I, like the OP, would love the dental world to come up with something that would allow the whitening of artificial dental work. Because of the veneers, my teeth/smile look great - but they are of a more natural, ivory colour that was the norm in the early 90s. Whilst I wouldn't want to go Rylanesq, I'd love them to be whiter and 'cleaner' looking.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,369
    Forum Member
    You can actually buy 'Boil n Form' trays/moulds for a couple of quid on the internets, so you don't even have to go to the dentist for that now.

I don't think they're that good though, from what I've heard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easy to blame .
    Don't make assumptions that people have neglected their teeth.
    A lot of people in the baby boomer era did not have the preventative approach to keeping teeth healthy, mothers may not have had good teeth or diet, not giving babies a good start even before teeth formed.
    As children,perhaps their parents had not given them a good diet, or realised The importance of dental hygiene, or even regular check ups.
    I went to the dentist in my teens , and needed many fillings, horrible amalgam ones,
    Over the years they were replaced,therefore more drilling, and teeth became weaker.
    Then in middle age I needed crowns, and extractions resulting in a bridge.
    If I ever received a decent amount of money, the first thing I'm going to do is visit the Smile Clinic!
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar - I am in the same boat as you - mixture of natural teeth and crowns .Luckily my 4 crowns are at the front so it gives the illusion of whiter teeth .I live near a smile clinic but have no idea if they have the magic to make them all the same shade .I don't fancy any dental "work " but if they could colour or something that would be great !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is, any tooth paint wouldn't last due to acid breaking it down
    In this day of technological advances, you would think they they would have invented a method of resurfacing the teeth with enamel, sprayed or bonded on.
    Replacing Bridgescrowns and veneers , and whitening remaining teeth to match would cost a fortune.
    Just hope some clever dentist comes up with a brilliant method of renovating teeth before I gnash my gums together in old age!
  • MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a crown on a front tooth, and no, I did not neglect my teeth,I fell off a bike when I was 10 and knocked it out. Don't assume neglecting teeth is always the train for crowns, bridges etc.