Belle Dingle - Change of Character

Comments

• GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's always been stroppy and opinionated. The difference was that in the past, she was quite happy spending her time looking after the animals, now she is under pressure to be 'sexy.' I think it's good that Emmerdale is addressing this, as it really is a much more serious problem amongst very young teenagers than it used to be, even ten or twenty years ago.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's disturbing to watch tbh
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,132
    Forum Member
    But with belle, she seemed to instantly change after her birthday.

I started a thread on this theme a couple of weeks ago.
    She really changed part way through an episode a couple of weeks ago!
    There was no need to do this personality change.... it would have been far better to keep Belle how she was, there would have been lots of storylines they could have used but they seem as though they may be going down the same road as they did with her 2 Aunties (Charity & Debbie.....I take it that they are both her Aunties!)

There is enough batty kids with the brat known as Gabby!
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,132
    Forum Member
    Chances of us ending up with a teenage pregnancy? :yawn::sleep:
    More than likely.
  • ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She hasn't changed at all, She is growing up. Jeez people will try and make an issue out of anything to try and moan about a character or producer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I see Belle, I think of 'Mrs Brady, Old Lady' out of Viz.

She's like a little old lady with her bun & that mack she used to wear all the time. :D

All she needs now is a best friend called Ada.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if she had been my daughter and spoken to me the way she did to Lisa and Zak, I would have given her a damned good hiding, no wonder we have so many yobo's now, lack of discipline, I would not have dreamed of speaking to my parents with that attitude.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    Her boyfriend apparently dumped her and the actor isn't appearing in further episodes anyway. The next few episodes reading the synopsis feature Belle being sent to a doctor :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she needs a good slap not a doctor:D
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bellamina wrote: »
    she needs a good slap not a doctor:D

:D

True!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    I started a thread on this theme a couple of weeks ago.
    She really changed part way through an episode a couple of weeks ago!
    There was no need to do this personality change.... it would have been far better to keep Belle how she was, there would have been lots of storylines they could have used but they seem as though they may be going down the same road as they did with her 2 Aunties (Charity & Debbie.....I take it that they are both her Aunties!)

There is enough batty kids with the brat known as Gabby!

Belle is actually Debbie's auntie
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's done well considering she hasn't hooked up with a cousin like the rest of the Dingle children!
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    Belle is actually Debbie's auntie

How did you figure that out? :D
  • kitthekatkitthekat Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    How did you figure that out? :D

Belle is Cain's sister (or is it half-sister?)... Cain is Debbie's father... ergo, Belle is Debbie's aunt.
  • fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it disturbing to watch, but I think that is because she still looks like she is about 10 years old who has just raided her mams make up bag, and because of that the storyline just feels plain wrong. They should have shelved the storyline a couple of years, or recast the character.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitthekat wrote: »
    Belle is Cain's sister (or is it half-sister?)... Cain is Debbie's father... ergo, Belle is Debbie's aunt.

Belle is Cain's half sister - they have the same father (Zak) but different mothers. So yes, that make's Belle Debbie's auntie.

The Dingle family tree is a bit complicated isn't it!
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her speech last week, when she pointed out that Zak and Lisa were older parents, and looked and behaved like they were her grandparents.

It felt very real, and you could see the hurt in Zak and Lisa's eyes.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the way Lisa dragged Belle to the doctors to talk about contraception etc in one of tonight's episodes - her reaction was brilliant :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I began to respect Belle a bit more after tonight's episode. Yes, she's being gobby and obnoxious to her parents, but I thought she came across as quite mature when speaking to the doctor, and it was good that she had the courage to do so.
  • Paulo LeedsPaulo Leeds Posts: 2,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Yes it may be is Gemma's influence... however I think in real life someone like Belle would find someone like Gemma a cheap chav whom they have nothing in common.

When I was at school (if you have read my previous posts, you will know I am from a village), I was friends with the farmy/horsey sorts, as opposed to the chavs, as I had nothing in common with the latter.

belle dingle isn't a farmy/horsey sort in that way. i always thought of the Dingles as more gypsy-esque
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belle dingle isn't a farmy/horsey sort in that way. i always thought of the Dingles as more gypsy-esque

They're definitely not the horsey set:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    she has good comedy timing
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,175
    Forum Member
    She's actually just turned 14 and unfortunately a lot of kids do start suffering peer pressure to become sexually active at that age and also rebel against their parents for no good reason. I don't think it is an overnight change - she's always been clever and wilful and maybe she is fed up of all the other family traumas that take priority over her.

I think Eden has been there since she was about 5 or 6 - she was certainly around by 2006 when Tom King died as you could see her carol singing.

She's a good little actress so I'm sure will be able to handle the plots. I don't think she looks abnormally younmg - certainly no younger than Sarah Platt in Corrie when she fell pregnant or even Debbie Dingle when she had Sarah.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me it seems just because she has had a birthday, they have made a sweet child, who was privately educated at one point.

Into a stroppy teenager, who in my eyes thinks she is so up herself, she has suddenly started wearing makeup, and looking tarty, where as before she had friends who were boys, who she just hang out with.

I can see her having a baby next Christmas at this rate.

I think they are just showing how some teenagers behave . And if we are honest once the clock strikes midnight and you hit 13 some kids go from beautiful 12 year old child to the 13 year old spawn of satan overnight.

I was a horrid teen from 13 to 16, nothing bad as such but just door slamming, and lots of "I hate you" "everybody elses parents lets them", type of behaviour , sulky, etc etc

I think they are just showing that with Belle, but I am sure we will see the worse end of it as it is a soap and they do have to make people want to watch. And lets face it the character of Belle has never been a quiet , shy retiring child who was unable to look after herself has she.,
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you saw me around town doing my shopping you'd probably think I lived on the local gypsy camp.

The Dingles may not be rich farmers/horsey types, of which there are some. There are also "chav" type farmers/horsey people, of which Belle would probably more belong to. Either way, she would probably be more interested in getting into mischeaf such as shooting/poaching.

This would make a far better plot line than the usual moody stroppy teenager that we just seem to be presented with these day.

And as per another post... I also agree that the poor actress must have been cringing when she got the script for this storyline. I also think Debbie's makeup/wardrobe artist has been round Belle. Makeup does not suit her.