Options

Tescos carrier bags

pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was shopping today and i seen that someones carrier bag had give way and their bottle of vodka had gone through and smashed on the floor. I noticed them go back in shop for a refund but came out looking disapointed with no bottle of vodka.I Wish tescos would make stronger bags. I will now double bag bottles Dont want my malibu on the floor.

Comments

• Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got six bottles of beer and one Amarula (the wife likes it) home in four bags yesterday. You just have to be careful.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Bag in a bag(s), it's the only way with bottles.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in Asda the other day I double bagged my bottle of vodka but used just one bag for my 4 cartons of orange. Now the cartons were more likely to burst the bag but I couldn't risk it with the vodka :o:D
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When are these flimsy carrier bags going to be phased out? They really are just such a waste of resources
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why not bring a rucksack? I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Too much effort for some people. Personally I would charge 20p for these thin carrier bags rather than the proposed 5p
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I once smashed a bottle like that in Sainsburys car park. I went back into the store to tell them about the broken glass and they replaced the bottle.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people can afford expensive alcohol then they can afford to buy a stronger bag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    You gotta be careful if you're carrying a fragile glass bottle of expensive beverage.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shopping today and i seen that someones carrier bag had give way and their bottle of vodka had gone through and smashed on the floor. I noticed them go back in shop for a refund but came out looking disapointed with no bottle of vodka.I Wish tescos would make stronger bags. I will now double bag bottles Dont want my malibu on the floor.

It's their own fault. Why should the store be liable?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »

It's all down to the 'where there's blame, there's a claim' culture that now seems the norm. People just don't take responsibility for their own actions any more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    It's all down to the 'where there's blame, there's a claim' culture that now seems the norm. People just don't take responsibility for their own actions any more

I agree. Anyone with any sense should know not to carry a glass bottle in a single plastic bag.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn it, Tesco swallowed its possessive apostrophe again.

That's just greedy. :)

Still it compensated with a spurious 's'.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The bags are thin so that they disintegrate more quickly when buried in landfill sites. Same with some makes of black refuse sacks - cheapie ones are like tissue paper. The carrier bag they lost the vodka from must have been overfilled and simply burst under the strain. It wouldn't have happened if they had packed better or used a ' bag for life ' type carrier.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My rucksack was already full of bottles from Asda and Sainsbury.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't see why people don't use the bags for life. They're only a few pence and if they start to wear out you swap them for a new one for free.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My rucksack was already full of bottles from Asda and Sainsbury.

What about Waitrose or M&S? :confused:
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's their bag being used to carry.Legally sure why should they - but as a gesture of goodwill ,i'm very surprised they didnt give another bottle .It's all about good p r ya know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    It's their bag being used to carry.Legally sure why should they - but as a gesture of goodwill ,i'm very surprised they didnt give another bottle .It's all about good p r ya know!

So if 20 thousand people a year smash a £20 bottle of wine you expect them to lose £2m a year due to people's carelessness?
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    That's why we shop online :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if 20 thousand people a year smash a £20 bottle of wine you expect them to lose £2m a year due to people's carelessness?

With a turnover of billions - yes of course .Though its hardly someones fault Tecsos gives away crap bags that don't do what they re supposed to do. .

If this happened on such a large scale they would probably take steps to remedy the situation and make better freebie bags - bit like they used to really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a turnover of billions - yes

Though if this happened on such a scale they would probably take steps to remedy the situation and make better freebie bags - bit like they used to really.

I don't agree. You're ignoring personal responsibility. And why should a business which is awnswerable to shareholders have to incorporate that size loss.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think it was Tesco's fault.

They should either provide plastic bags which can hold a reasonable amount of shopping (e.g. one bottle of vodka) or provide nothing at all. The bags seem to get thinner and thinner all the time.

Plus, if there were NO plastic bags available, I bet people would find it much easier to remember to bring their own environmentally friendly ones.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a turnover of billions - yes of course .Though its hardly someones fault Tecsos gives away crap bags that don't do what they re supposed to do. .

If this happened on such a large scale they would probably take steps to remedy the situation and make better freebie bags - bit like they used to really.

What they should do is go back to having a section just past the checkouts that's full of old cardboard boxes like they did in the 70s. More sturdy than a carrier bag, unlike carrier bags they're recyclable (if you're into that sort of thing) and they're far easier to carry in the boot of the car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree. You're ignoring personal responsibility. And why should a business which is awnswerable to shareholders have to incorporate that size loss.

As a percentage of sales the loss is absolutely miniscule - they almost certainly give considerably more to charities.Tescos has got to sort out its bags into being what they're supposed to be - that is able to carry your shopping.

Voddies all round I say