Options

National Service/Conscription.Would you go?.

13»

Comments

• Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LH1 wrote: »
    Yes my Dad was due to be conscripted and he was geared up to do his stint and it was abolished so he didn't have to go. There wasn't a choice and people just accepted it.
    Some of the people who just accepted it found it so terrible that they committed suicide, though.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I couldn't for medical reasons but if I was medically clear I wouldn't I would be a Conscientious Objector

That wouldn't stop them conscripting you though.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    My brother in law did NS and he had to hang onto his kit for several years after, I'm not sure if this was a cold war measure ( just in case like) or something that came as part of conscription.
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the people who just accepted it found it so terrible that they committed suicide, though.

Yep my Dad was glad he didn't have to do it. He said people just accepted that they had to go but that didn't mean they liked the idea or really wanted to do it although I guess it depended on the person concerned.
  • Options
    j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL at those saying no*, you wouldn't have a choice.

* except those saying too old.

What if I'm gay and have Aids?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    In our day few looked forward to their N/S
    call up - especially the delights of basic training during the snows of Catterick 1951 - Although after a few weeks life could become bearable - especially if sent to serve in one of the various wars and skirmishes in tropical climes
    (except perhaps Egypt and Afghanistan) .
    But its a different world today and that chap hit the bell
    stating who wants to come home minus a limb or three for
    the likes of Tony Blair and his ilk to become even more rich on with after dinner speeches and books etc !
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    That wouldn't stop them conscripting you though.

Maybe not but it would mean I would get put into the medical corp or something else like that which I wouldn't mind as much
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Maybe not but it would mean I would get put into the medical corp or something else like that which I wouldn't mind as much

That is what would happen, were it to be reintroduced, not that there's any chance of it. There's no point in sending unwilling conscripts into battle. It's highly unlikley to be a battle for our country's survival. I presume, if it was, that some of you might answer differently. If it was 'conscription' in the loosest terms, and you could opt for a year of VSO, or community work in this country, as opposed to gun toting soldiery, would that change things? Being a soldier in the 21st century is not everyone's dream calling, I can well undertand.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could have one of the cushy jobs, say a general, or something like that, you know one of the jobs, where you don't see any action, and just have loads of meetings, and stay safe for the duration, than count me in.

Seventy-Eight British generals were killed during WWI :eek:

Apparently, so many were visiting forward trenches and being killed by stray shells/snipers/gas attacks etc, that an official order was issued forbidding the practice. Needless to say, it was ignored and General officer casualties continued to mount on ALL fronts 'til the Armistice, despite what popular myth would have you believe.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too old and, anyway, they wouldn't have me for medical reasons.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Half the people on here would rather die than go on a workfare scheme, there is no hope of getting them to go to war.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    No

I wouldn't waste my life fighting to defend American oil supplies.