Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    I find it hard to believe that on 31 May it will be 10 years to the day since Cilla hosted her last ever 'Blind Date' :eek:.

Where have all the years gone :confused:

She is seventy years old today.:)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canalboy wrote: »
    Thanks Rich tea, people often accuse me of being too cynical and I'm sure they're right. Barking Odeon near where I was born is now cardboard flats that shrink wheh it rains.

I must admit the title track was atypical and consequently (?) rather good. I'm not anti American, just anti junk culture, which happened to come largely from there.

Above all though I love these repeats and have managed to dvd all but two since April 1976.

Not quite so bad in place of my hometown's old cinema. It's replaced with a rather tidy little arcade of unique shops....that I never visit! :D

Very envious of your managing to DVD all those TOTP episodes the past 2 years. From the autumn 1977 editions onwards I have been downloading the better ones from the BBC iPlayer, but after about 6 weeks they seem to become un-playable which has made me very annoyed indeed. So now I have about 20 episodes in WMV file format, that when I try to play them simply say "Acquiring Media Usage Rights" which they never acquire, leaving them un-playable! I briefly mentioned this before some time ago, and am sure there must be a way around this annoyance but am yet to sort it out.

Happy Birthday Cilla, 70 is the new 50! Just like back in 1978 your 35 was the old 55 from what I saw Thursday! :p
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Musically punk was quite retro but very quickly evolved and there are countless artists who were influenced by its DIY attitude and whose own music couldn't necessarily be described as 'punk' (Culture Club, ABC, U2 etc). The mindset also influenced other areas such as fashion, literature, film, art and so on, so you can't really judge it on the basis of Sham 69 et al.

I agree though that there are far too many talking heads pronouncing 'it killed off prog' and other such nonsense.

BIB - that goes back, I'd say, to the myth repeatedly pushed by the year overview documentaries on BBC Four that 'punk changed everything' (usually accompanied by clips of The Damned :rolleyes:), which has been hotly disputed on previous TOTP threads ... ;)

Musically, I don't think punk changed that much, and the likes of Sham 69 drove it into a barren cul-de-sac which looked increasingly dated as soon as 1979. I'd agree completely, however, with everyone arguing that the 'anything is possible' mindset it was infused with was indeed a driving force between 1977 and 1982 and, when fused with disco and, most of all, the rise of the synthesiser, became a massive engine for change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    BIB - that goes back, I'd say, to the myth repeatedly pushed by the year overview documentaries on BBC Four that 'punk changed everything' (usually accompanied by clips of The Damned :rolleyes:), which has been hotly disputed on previous TOTP threads ... ;)

Musically, I don't think punk changed that much, and the likes of Sham 69 drove it into a barren cul-de-sac which looked increasingly dated as soon as 1979. I'd agree completely, however, with everyone arguing that the 'anything is possible' mindset it was infused with was indeed a driving force between 1977 and 1982 and, when fused with disco and, most of all, the rise of the synthesiser, became a massive engine for change.

Reminds me of what I was thinking as I saw Sham 69 on TOTP last week. "Pub Punk" was a phrase that came into my mind. I don't think it's a wording that has ever actually been used however, unless I picked it up sub-consciously from somewhere. The fact that in 2006 they made Top Ten again with a World Cup re-hash of an oldie of theirs, Hurry Up Harry becoming Hurry Up England, may confirm this thought.

Regards the Ian Dury fade out on What A Waste, I wonder if it was thought in-appropriate at the time to reach the line about "I Could Be An Inmate In A Long Term Institution" so it was faded out ignominiously? They may have faded it out, but I later played the full track to compensate.

Were any TOTP in 1978 actually broacast "live" by the way? Many in the 1980's were if I recall, or am I totally wrong? One in August 1988 must have been, due to the All About Eve incident with Martha's Harbour.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Reminds me of what I was thinking as I saw Sham 69 on TOTP last week. "Pub Punk" was a phrase that came into my mind. I don't think it's a wording that has ever actually been used however, unless I picked it up sub-consciously from somewhere. The fact that in 2006 they made Top Ten again with a World Cup re-hash of an oldie of theirs, Hurry Up Harry becoming Hurry Up England, may confirm this thought.

Regards the Ian Dury fade out on What A Waste, I wonder if it was thought in-appropriate at the time to reach the line about "I Could Be An Inmate In A Long Term Institution" so it was faded out ignominiously? They may have faded it out, but I later played the full track to compensate.

Were any TOTP in 1978 actually broacast "live" by the way? Many in the 1980's were if I recall, or am I totally wrong? One in August 1988 must have been, due to the All About Eve incident with Martha's Harbour.

I don't think there were any live broadcasts in 1978 - indeed, Ihave a memory of a 1981 TOTP which started with Kim Wilde's 'Chequered Love' being the first live edition the BBC had done in ages and, as such, much feted. Then again, I could be wrong ...! :o
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember the Martha's Harbour incident very well :D

Wasn't there also a incident, perhaps some time prior to this, I think with Status Quo, where one band member fell over the drums. I seem to remember the presenter at the time making a comment about that proving TOTP was live:confused:
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol - Marguerita Time! I definitely think Rick had had a few before the performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtm2HOTNC6Y
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Lol - Marguerita Time! I definitely think Rick had had a few before the performance!

Hahaha. That was it. I didn't realise it was as long ago as 1984, almost 30 years ago:eek:
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »

Slade's Jim Lea on bass!
  • Options
    RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canalboy wrote: »
    Thanks Rich tea, people often accuse me of being too cynical and I'm sure they're right. Barking Odeon near where I was born is now cardboard flats that shrink wheh it rains.

I must admit the title track was atypical and consequently (?) rather good. I'm not anti American, just anti junk culture, which happened to come largely from there.

Above all though I love these repeats and have managed to dvd all but two since April 1976.

I think that I've managed the full set since the 1976 re runs begun (plus have all full episodes before that which, criminally , aren't that many).

Would be happy to help with the missing two

Richard
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Richupton wrote: »
    I think that I've managed the full set since the 1976 re runs begun (plus have all full episodes before that which, criminally , aren't that many).

Aaaaaargh!! - My television has just blown up - not working! I've just changed the fuse and it's STILL not working!

I NEED A NEW TV BY THURSDAY OR WILL BE UNABLE TO TAPE THIS WEEKS TOTP!! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richupton wrote: »

Would be happy to help with the missing two

Richard

That's a very generous offer Rich!

Maybe you can also help me with most of the past two....years? :p

OK, just kidding! ;)

Richard :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Hahaha. That was it. I didn't realise it was as long ago as 1984, almost 30 years ago:eek:

Can you just write the year down, without the part beyond the comma, as I wince every time I realise just how long ago that is now, when I recall it like yesterday in such detail. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I don't think there were any live broadcasts in 1978 - indeed, Ihave a memory of a 1981 TOTP which started with Kim Wilde's 'Chequered Love' being the first live edition the BBC had done in ages and, as such, much feted. Then again, I could be wrong ...! :o

Like you, I seem to recall a lot of seemingly "live" editions of Top Of The Pops in 1981 also. I'm guessing that the new look one that went out with Jimmy Savile in July 1981, with Phil Lynott's great new tune, as he sat there, was also live. Wish I'd been on that tube train a few months ago when Kim Wilde gave a live performance of Kids In America between stops, to a largely un-enthusiastic and ignorant bunch of passengers. Check it out on YT if you haven't seen it. :cool:

http://youtu.be/6Z4SjiGUgf4

Like an idiot I used to think some of those early 1980's editions on Christmas Day were live too....as if! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I agree, great post by Scrimmidge. And I too still love to hear those songs.

As for the Cilla song, well it was something of an embarrassment. Like Dusty trying to go disco on TOTP 1978 a few weeks ago, Cilla just looked out of time and out of place. And unlike Dusty (who returned in 1979 with the excellent 'Baby Blue') Cilla just continued to churn out dreadful singles in the hope of having a hit. Ironically, Cilla's last chart entry was in a duet with Dusty Springfield, back in 1993.

In 1978 Cilla was reduced to appearing in adverts as her long running TV variety programme (called simply 'Cilla') had ended. She was the "face" of Cadbury's Dairy Milk. The song she sang in the advert for Cadbury's Dairy Milk was probably much better known by the general public than the song she performed on Top Of The Pops. How many posters can recall this advert from 1978?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Sf83jK2Fo

I wondered why Tony Blackburn was so gushing about that awful Silly Boy song. Perhaps he was just trying to do her a favour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to say that I've got my new TV in place for tonight's episode!! :D;)
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Top of the Pops next week because of Sky At Night and nothing scheduled yet for the week after either on Digiguide :confused: Could they be taking a break for the Proms? :(
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Top of the Pops next week because of Sky At Night and nothing scheduled yet for the week after either on Digiguide :confused: Could they be taking a break for the Proms? :(

They could be taking a break otherwise we'll be well ahead as there wasn't one this week in '78 due to a WC match and also with all those they have to miss with Savile and DLT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused: Could they be taking a break for the Proms? :(

They better not - now that I've got my new telly! :p
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    I wondered why Tony Blackburn was so gushing about that awful Silly Boy song. Perhaps he was just trying to do her a favour?

I expect they were friends, and had worked together, perhaps on something like Seaside Special. They'd have been very different, as Blackburn is a bit posh, and Cilla is the ultimate Scouse, though if you hear her voice these days, she's gone a bit posh too.

From about 1978 to 1983, Black was in the doldrums, working but not at the level she had been.

I think it was her famous interview with Terry Wogan that helped to renew her career anew
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's Top Of The Pops is from Thursday,8th June,1978 and with Noel Edmonds. Presuming it was recorded the night before, on the Wednesday, then I can remember exactly what I was doing and where I was on that very date. A school day trip to St.Alban's Abbey, which I've got slides of the very day. Weather was much the same that day in 1978! Wish I was too, and the music. :)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's Top Of The Pops is from Thursday,8th June,1978 and with Noel Edmonds. Presuming it was recorded the night before, on the Wednesday, then I can remember exactly what I was doing and where I was on that very date. A school day trip to St.Alban's Abbey, which I've got slides of the very day. Weather was much the same that day in 1978! Wish I was too, and the music. :)
    It was around early June 1978 that my house year at school went on a "mystery school trip" (as it actually said on the consent form our parents had to sign to allow us to go, and we genuinely didn't know where we were going until we were well into the coach journey) for the day and we ended up in Scarborough. The coach arrived at Scarborough at noon and we were told by our house teacher to be back at the drop off point for 4pm. The three teachers on the trip went off in one direction (to the pub I would imagine, they did smell of beer when we all boarded the coach to go back home!) and we went off in another direction. In typical Robbie style I found an excellent record shop and spent an hour in there looking through all the singles they had in stock!

I wonder how many schools would do that these days? Letting loose a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds to wander the streets of Scarborough (or indeed anywhere else!) by themselves with no teacher supervision :D

To show that the teachers had made the right decision, we all made it back to the drop off point in time...
  • Options
    Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this SillyBoyBlue.
    To tell you the truth it wound me up at first because I forgot to record the late night one yesterday. I thought, "oh well, I can catch it on Saturday, " only to find that it's not being repeated this Saturday!

Fortunately I had set my DVD to record the 7:30 showing.

However, according to the BBC 4 schedule, the next episode (May 25th 1978) will be shown 3 times next week including late night on the Saturday.

It seems to therefore be an anomaly. However, I recall a similar thing happening when they were transmitting the 1976 episodes in December 2011 - some were not shown 3 times, others were. Is it perhaps due to transmission rights issues?

Needless to say, if anyone spots 18th May 1978 (the full version) uploaded somewhere or has recorded it, could you please let me know? I'd be very grateful.

I've got the late longer version if you still need it tortfeasor. Check your PM box
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Great band Goldie from the north east of england on tonight. Shame they only had one hit. Check out To Be Alone..brilliant gospel tinged track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj5vX4zBeas Loved his voice....
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all..
This discussion has been closed.