Has a book changed your life?

13»

Comments

• goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto to Tolkein's works!

I read 'Earth Abides' by George Stewart one of the first 'survivors' books - it started me thinking about the way the world is and what would happen if all the things we take for granted stopped - and about society and culture - then I went on much later to take an anthropology degree. Strangely enough science fiction stories about crews in deep space had the same effect.

Sorry a bit distracted and dancing around a bit because Shakira came on the TV - just love her music and I wish I looked like her! She also does a lot for charity - she's great.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a cop out but Allen Carr's "The easy way to stop smoking" changed my life. I read it on 9th May 2011 and have never touched a smoke since.

I was a 10-15 a day smoker (more when having a drink) for fifteen years!
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a cop out but Allen Carr's "The easy way to stop smoking" changed my life. I read it on 9th May 2011 and have never touched a smoke since.

I was a 10-15 a day smoker (more when having a drink) for fifteen years!

That's really great!

I was also thinking re what I said in my last post - I was given a child's encyclopaedia when young which went right back in history with little illustrations of men chasing mammoths, ancient Greece etc - that combined with a radio prog I listened to as a child about the Roman Invasion of Britain gave me a life long love of History - it was so well done and the acting so good you could visualise it as though you were a soldier there. What I'm trying to say is, you can't underestimate the power of books/ media especially on young minds, for good or ill. Sorry spouting a bit here!
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bible
    The Pilgrim's Progress
    Luther's Commentary on the Galatians

All while I was becoming a Christian.

Doomsday 1999 kind of messed up my mind as a kid, shame I didn't have better adult guidance.
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enid Blyton's Willow Farm/Cherry Tree Farm series did when I was about - I loved those books so much and was so sad when I finished them and the stories were over. Then my dad suggested I could write more if I wanted to - and I've been writing (mainly pointless fiction!) ever since.

Also, To Kill a Mockingbird has in a way. I often wonder what Atticus would do in certain situations...

I love those books and still read them every year! I'd love to read your fan fiction. PM me if wouldn't mind? :)

To Kill a Mocking Bird made me realise that there is more than perspective on everything, which was a powerful lesson to my fifteen year old self :)
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Da Vinci Code.

Afterwards I knew never to buy a book by Dan Brown again.