Options

What to do with pork belly?

pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
Forum Member
✭✭
So I have a few slices of pork belly. Impulse buy and I have no idea what to do with it :rolleyes: Any tips or nice recipes for cooking?

Comments

• Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thai pork satay as a starter. I find that pork belly works better than tenderloin for this recipe.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/r/porksatay.htm
  • Options
    lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marinate the slices in BBQ sauce, then bake them. Serve with rice and salad.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever get pork belly slices I oven them til they're almost cremated - nice and chewy and crackly crispy on top. I sometimes use a marinade with Chinese 5-spice and soy sauce and honey which is also really nice!
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petral_gal wrote: »
    Whenever get pork belly slices I oven them til they're almost cremated - nice and chewy and crackly crispy on top. I sometimes use a marinade with Chinese 5-spice and soy sauce and honey which is also really nice!

IMO this works better with a pork belly joint rather than slices, then you get a really big piece of crispy crackling. The meat taste even better if it is cooled, left overnight in the fridge, then reheated in the microwave for a minute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Rub with some pounded up fennel seeds. Oh, trim off the skin and fat first. Then brown in a frying pan. Finely chop an onion and put in the bottom of a casserole. Lay on the pork with a bay leaf. Add 500 mil of chicken stock and put in the oven for 2 hours. At 165.

Check it is not drying out though, should be melting and lovely.

A whole belly is nicer though. Big heat for 20 minutes the slow and low, delicious.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Marinate the slices in BBQ sauce, then bake them. Serve with rice and salad.

OMG this is my favourite meal! I add a potato waffle too lol
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cut them into piecies sometimes and serve them in a home made sweet and sour sauce.Stir fried.
    Or slow cook and serve as a mid week cheap meal with some veggies. If cooked long enough it won't be chewy and will melt in the mouth.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I also like to go down the Chinese route with pork belly - soy, honey, five spice etc.

Last time though I made a Spanish/Mexican style stew with braised pork belly. Tomato based sauce with smoked paprika and chipotle chillies.