2»

Comments

• teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    This has been the best TV series Schama has done. V moving
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been one of the best TV series I've ever seen. Well done Schama and well done BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, agreed. Very interesting, fascinating and moving documentary series. I would have liked for there to have been more about the Holocaust in the final episode as it was mostly about the creation of Israel rather than the awful events in Europe under the Nazis that preceded it, but that subject has been dealt with in many documentaries over the years.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    I saw one of the episodes on sign zone last night.

It's strong, moving and very informative. Schama could barely maintain his composure as he explained how the jews were expelled from Spain where they'd had a vibrant culture for hundreds of years.
    The ghetto and synagogue scenes in Venice were so evocative too.

Schama is so emotionally involved in this, it makes compelling viewing.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Yes, agreed. Very interesting, fascinating and moving documentary series. I would have liked for there to have been more about the Holocaust in the final episode as it was mostly about the creation of Israel rather than the awful events in Europe under the Nazis that preceded it, but that subject has been dealt with in many documentaries over the years.

I have been watching it too...excellent programme but for me, I have seen enough programmes about the Holocaust, it makes for much too depressing TV. I thought the earlier times were much more interesting.