Is there any truth in this heatwave rumor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know where this started but several people have said to me that we are in for a real scorcher in August, that something to do with El Nino is gonna give us the warmest temps on record for the UK:o Looking outside today, its been pissing down all day and is currently 12c, more like a winters day, not that I am complaining as I hate the heat and don't want any more of it.

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It started in the Daily Express and it's total cobblers.

Sure, it'll probably be warmer than usual, but not the extreme record breaker they're suggesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Daily Express bollocks as usual, from a long discredited so called weather prediction company. None of their other predictions have come true, this one wont either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It started in the Daily Express and it's total cobblers.

Sure, it'll probably be warmer than usual, but not the extreme record breaker they're suggesting.

Thank fook for that :)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piers Corbyn of Weather Action is predicting it and he is usually right
    http://www.weatheraction.com/
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rumour was started by the Express, in afew weeks time they will be predicting the following (or something like this)

"Coldest winter in 300 years as Britain set to freeze in -60c temperatures, 18 foot of snow and blizzards causing chaos this winter"
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where this started but several people have said to me that we are in for a real scorcher in August, that something to do with El Nino is gonna give us the warmest temps on record for the UK:o Looking outside today, its been pissing down all day and is currently 12c, more like a winters day, not that I am complaining as I hate the heat and don't want any more of it.

Are you American op?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The BBC News website has a summary of the headlines of the newspapers each day. The Daily Express seems to have at least one weather panic, health scare or sign of impending civilisation break down per week on the front page. Oh, and one royal story per day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The BBC News website has a summary of the headlines of the newspapers each day. The Daily Express seems to have at least one weather panic, health scare or sign of impending civilisation break down per week on the front page. Oh, and one royal story per day.

I remember staying in a hotel chain once, Might of been Forte something or other, they gave the Express away free every morning, the only time I've ever owned that rubbish,
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I really hope it doesn't happen, it's 73.6f in here, I'm in shorts and vest, I don't want it getting any warmer
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Excellent! I want it HOT!:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About as much truth in it as me winning the lottery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was in the Daily Express then it's probably a load of tosh.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    The rumour was started by the Express, in afew weeks time they will be predicting the following (or something like this)

"Coldest winter in 300 years as Britain set to freeze in -60c temperatures, 18 foot of snow and blizzards causing chaos this winter"

You forgot hale stones the size of cars...
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

Ah the old familiar hale and hearty stone rumor. Seriously it's been pleasant in London and no rain although we were told we would get some.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow's headline in the Express was rumoured to be "Heatwave of terror predicted by well known Psychic after messages given from the late Diana Princess of Wales are relayed from beyond the grave." It will also contain a special seance conducted by Michael Fish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It has about as much weight as the £75 Tesco voucher.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sign of any very warm spells. :)

Just under a month left until meteorological autumn begins.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last week has been really hot around here, so I hope it doesn't get any hotter!

It's annoying that the weekend of rain that was predicted has amounted to absolutely nothing. The BBC keep doing this - saying it'll rain hard all weekend, then in reality we get a little bit of light drizzle for all of 5 minutes.

It's just been so hot and sticky I'm in the mood for some refreshing downpour now!
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

Weren't they supposed to make five foot craters?

Oops, sorry, forgot it was the Express.

Weren't they supposed to make FIVE FOOT craters?
    chris1978 wrote: »
    Tomorrow's headline in the Express was rumoured to be "Heatwave of terror predicted by well known Psychic after messages given from the late Diana Princess of Wales are relayed from beyond the grave." It will also contain a special seance conducted by Michael Fish.

It will also provoke a house price crash. Or boom. And probably cure a few diseases, too
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

No he isn't, he's as bad as the other lot.
    Seth1 wrote: »
    Excellent! I want it HOT!:cool:

If that happens (and there's no sign of it yet) it will be down to pure luck. Weather Action and that Express mob use outrageous predictions of extreme weather to gain publicity for their long-range forecasting guesses and keep their subscriptions up. Occasionally, guesswork guesses right (like it would for me or you) and then we never hear the last of it. Usually, their guesswork guesses wrong and they always keep that VERY quiet.

Just ignoring them both is by far the best course of action. Always.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    If it's in the Daily Express and written by Nathan Rao it's usually lies. He said there would be three months of continuous snowfall last November and well, it never showed up.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

El Nino tends to have more of an effect in the winter months in Europe, and despite predictions earlier this year of a strong El Nino effect around the world, the latest forecast (in the past week) is that it's likely to be much weaker than expected.

To reitterate what just about everyone else has said, the weather forecast in the Daily Express is about as credible as a politican's pre-election promise.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been really warm here for over a month

But we have barely had a sunny day. So dull and miserable. And quite wet too.
    Currently pissing it down.

Its unbearable! Hate this kind of weather.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't look like it, not bad weather but doesn't look like we will all be gasping for breath in the heat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#outlook