Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme is so exciting:D
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I must admit I do admire those who can make stuff like clothes and craft with sewing,I have never been able to get the whole hang of it and find it all very fiddly

aye the only sewing I've done is a denim pencil case I made in home economics class :D
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't let Claudia loose on any stitching after she managed to break the equipment while filling in for Ken Bruce on Radio 2 :D
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    trio1 wrote: »
    I don't know who that judge is but he's very dishy.

If he just had a stubble beard he would be :eek::eek: I'm not a fan of full beards :o
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I don't know who that judge is but he's very dishy.
    l!

He's a designer/tailor called Patrick Grant. I'd handle his fabric any time. And in turn, he can find my invisible zip.

I have a range of sewing based euphemisms...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    If he just had a stubble beard he would be :eek::eek: I'm not a fan of full beards :o

That beard is way too beardy like. I agree if he had a stubble he would be scrummy :p
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started making my own clothes when I was a teenager, partly because it was the only way I could afford new clothes and partly because I was a mod and you couldn't buy those sort of clothes in the shops.
    The first skirt I made \i cut out on my bed, having pinned the pattern to the fabric....needless to say I also had a candlewick version too.
  • Options
    trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Oh I quite like a nice retro beard. He can give me beard rash any day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    I started making my own clothes when I was a teenager, partly because it was the only way I could afford new clothes and partly because I was a mod and you couldn't buy those sort of clothes in the shops.
    The first skirt I made \i cut out on my bed, having pinned the pattern to the fabric....needless to say I also had a candlewick version too.

You could have started a new fashion trend :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I quite like a nice retro beard. He can give me beard rash any day!

Indeed :o

I bet he's got a nice furry chest to go with it
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »

I couldn't afford a new coat so I made a corduroy coat by hand. I was extremely proud of it and wore it for years. have always sewn by hand....hate using a machine. Now I limit myself to handmade quilts!
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    This programme is so exciting:D

I don't know why but I'm finding it quite enjoyable!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to make clothes for my doll.. Ok that sounds weird but I used to get library books out and used to follow them with different era style clothing for dolls. Then progressed up to dolls house stuff.. Fiddly but not very taxing..but then I was young. I used it mainly as practice for my needlwork classes etc.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know why but I'm finding it quite enjoyable!

It's ok but I just don't get excited by sewing - I'm totally inept with things like that. Baking, however, is my forte!
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe that the Paul Hollywood version of this series is actually a real super model!

I have my mum's sewing machine lying somewhere. I can only sew back buttons and repair tears on hems/seams. These I learnt from my stint in the army, believe it or not.

edit: Mark + Steampunk = Steamhunk.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steampunk fella a bit out of his depth
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Will nobody just say that Sandra has dropped a bollock and get it over with :)

Gawd knows why I'm watching this, but it's technical and I can understand what's going on (kinda).

Edit: I really do like Claudia, I just find her hugely charming and amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't afford a new coat so I made a corduroy coat by hand. I was extremely proud of it and wore it for years. have always sewn by hand....hate using a machine. Now I limit myself to handmade quilts!

I do a lot of my sewing by hand too. I get tangled up in my tension on the sewing machine. But I have an old fashioned treadle singer machine that I am going to use for my main sewing machine now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow!
    I machine piece, but hand quilt.
    Haven't mastered machine quilting to a high enough standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mark will be one of those that might get booted at the end of the show. Not sure about the second one though..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd make some clothes for Patrick. Something see through
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I do a lot of my sewing by hand too. I get tangled up in my tension on the sewing machine. But I have an old fashioned treadle singer machine that I am going to use for my main sewing machine now :D

Must admit, a simple straightforward sewing machine is often more successful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bust waist hips

might measure those again just be sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, a simple straightforward sewing machine is often more successful.

Old fashioned mechanical machines give a much better stitch quality than modern computerised machines IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to mock up the pattern on an old sheet first, then if it needed changing I could add changes to the sheet and then transfer it to the material without making a complete hash of the material. I think that could be an old style of doing it..