American Horror Story: Coven, Season 3

I can't wait for October 9th. I'm a bit gutted that Zachary Quinto won't be in this season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaY7k2GjguM

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait for October 9th. I'm a bit gutted that Zachary Quinto won't be in this season.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaY7k2GjguM

I'm very excited for this. What a cast! I absolutely adored 'Asylum' last year, and found it superior to 'Murder House' (although a lot of people seemed to disagree).
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I think Murder House and Asylum were equally as good. I liked the simplicity of Murder House and the complex plot of Asylum. But both left too many unanswered questions...

The Coven looks INCREDIBLE and that's just based on a 30 second trailer.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I'm very excited for this. What a cast! I absolutely adored 'Asylum' last year, and found it superior to 'Murder House' (although a lot of people seemed to disagree).

I also found it better then season one there was far more going on and it was less pradictable.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the first series to the second. Looking forward to the new season. Looks like it's something that I will like, especially as it seems to be the female cast of the show who shine the most.

Also, is this going to be the US Pace thread? Just want to make sure.
    Forum Member
    I preferred the first series to the second. Looking forward to the new season. Looks like it's something that I will like, especially as it seems to be the female cast of the show who shine the most.

I would assume it would be because I watch it all online when it's 1st shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also found it better then season one there was far more going on and it was less pradictable.

The setting sold it for me - there is very little creepier than an eerie, gothic asylum. I also thought that Sister Jude was a more complex and interesting character than Constance (as much as I loved her) and that gave Lange even more chance to shine. My problem with the first series was that I found the male and female leads - the parents who had moved into the murder house - pretty dry and unlikeable.

Yes, the writers/producers of this show really do give centre stage to the women. This season boasts Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, Kathy Bates and Emma Roberts (as well as the return of Taissa Farmiga from the first season). By contrast, I don't think Evan Peters is a great actor, and I hope that Dylan McDermott doesn't make an appearance this time - he has been extremely wooden in the past couple of seasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this, loved both seasons so far, amazing TV :)
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I saw this, I loved both previous seasons, each excellent in it's own right. Can't wait to see the new instalment!
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone know when FOX will air it in the UK? like last time it was shown quite close to US transmission i think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone know when FOX will air it in the UK? like last time it was shown quite close to US transmission i think.

If they do what they did last time (and what they're currently doing with Dexter), they should air the episodes one week after their US airdates.
    Forum Member
    So what does everyone think of the series so far? I think it's got a really good story
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving it, strong story, great characters, be great to see how this one develops.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As good as ever, great cast, Lily Rabe is just fabulous as Stevie Nicks :eek::D
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do what they did last time (and what they're currently doing with Dexter), they should air the episodes one week after their US airdates.

Tuesday, Oct 29th, 10pm.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    As good as ever, great cast, Lily Rabe is just fabulous as Stevie Nicks :eek::D

Lily looked lovely.

I'm hoping Stevie doesn't sue the show for being called a witch. ;)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taissa Fermiga is one terrible actress, it actually pains me she is actually pretty much the lead of the show. I've seen her in other roles and she is just bad. If there is one thing she hasn't inherited from her sister Vera, it certaintly isn't the ability to act.

Other than that, it has a great cast and plot this series. Such strong female actresses. Emma Roberts has been a huge suprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Tuesday, Oct 29th, 10pm.

Thanks - suitable for Halloween, I guess. :) The series is OK so far, although I don't think it's as immediately captivating as 'Asylum', which for me has been the best season. That really threw us in at the deep end and then never let up, whereas 'Coven' seems to be a slow burner. I await an episode that's as much of a rollercoaster as 'Nor-easter'.

I hope this thread doesn't get bumped to the 'Cult' section as it is a pretty mainstream US show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily looked lovely.

I'm hoping Stevie doesn't sue the show for being called a witch. ;)

Hehe - I read an interview with Ryan Murphy in which he stated that he asked Stevie Nicks' permission and she said "I suppose so, since it's you". I'm guessing she must be a fan of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hehe - I read an interview with Ryan Murphy in which he stated that he asked Stevie Nicks' permission and she said "I suppose so, since it's you". I'm guessing she must be a fan of the show.

Well he did do a whole episode of Glee based on the Rumours album. :)
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Roberts has been a huge suprise.
    Yes she has.I like the little in jokes about her films and acting ability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he did do a whole episode of Glee based on the Rumours album. :)

Oh - I didn't know that. Glee is a show I've studiously avoided - not my cup of tea at all, by the looks of it. :o

Here's a question: what do you think the next series could be about? We've had Murder House (about ghosts); Asylum (insanity, aliens, genetic mutation, Nazis, serial killers, religion!); and now Coven (witches, voodoo, slavery, Frankenstein-like resurrection).

I sometimes worry that the writers and producers cram so many horror tropes into each season that they might run out of ideas sooner rather than later. Any number of side stories in Asylum, for example, could probably have carried a full season on their own.

My ideas:-

American Horror Story: Hollywood.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh - I didn't know that. Glee is a show I've studiously avoided - not my cup of tea at all, by the looks of it. :o

Here's a question: what do you think the next series could be about? We've had Murder House (about ghosts); Asylum (insanity, aliens, genetic mutation, Nazis, serial killers, religion!); and now Coven (witches, voodoo, slavery, Frankenstein-like resurrection).

I'm not sure to be honest. I watch a lot of horror films but they seem to have done the 3 main themes.

I think it was a good idea to do the series in 3 separate seasons, rather than try to stretch out the original idea.

At least we get to see Lily in different guises.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure to be honest. I watch a lot of horror films but they seem to have done the 3 main themes.

I think it was a good idea to do the series in 3 separate seasons, rather than try to stretch out the original idea.

At least we get to see Lily in different guises.

Lily Rabe has been a revelation. Absolutely phenomenal. I remember when I started watching Asylum that it was hard to believe that the actress playing the meek and innocent Sister Mary Eunice was the same actress who had played the snooty, flaky Nora Montgomery in Murder House. This season, Misty Day seems nothing like either of those characters (yet again). She is just a real chameleon.

(And that is to say nothing of the other fantastic returnees, Lange and Paulson.)
  • RixionRixion Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the interactions between Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and Angela Bassett! Emma Roberts and Gabourney Sidibe have been great too.