Options

Is the Moffff being bitchy about Doctor Who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
Forum Member
I read this article earlier today and must admit that I was rather :eek::eek::eek::eek: at how the moff sounds describing Doctor Who.

I'd say the man doesn't sound like he likes it that much any more.

Sorry if this has been added to another thread but I did have a quick gander.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly, but I thought it sounded more like he does like it and is worried it might get scrapped if it's not good enough (he's probably been reading the whining on here ;)) and he'd feel responsible or something. :)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What article???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    What article???
    Presumably the one on the DS homepage.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably the one on the DS homepage.

I realise that now but the OP didn't make it clear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I read it, (& the Huffington Post one it references) & no, it doesn't. Sounds to me he's talking more about the pressure he feels maintaining the quality of a high profile show, & living up to the expectations of the Beeb, us as viewers etc,
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Judging by the article it seems that he's under a lot of pressure.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need look no further than this forum if you want to see people being bitchy about Doctor Who to be honest.......;)

Actually if anything the OP seems to be being a bit bitchy about Moffat.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think you need look no further than this forum if you want to see people being bitchy about Doctor Who to be honest.......;)
    That didn't need the last six words :D
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the article. Don't see Moffat as being 'bitchy'. It seems more that he is acknowledging how difficult it is to keep the series in the public eye throughout the run.

I can only imagine the pressure of having a budget of millions and having to keep the series being successful to the fickle British public. .....Who would want to be the exec.producer if the series got cancelled?
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I don't know how you got that from it, really. Can't see him being unhappy about writing Doctor Who, like others have said, it's about the pressure from the studio, surely?
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's just the deluded "fans" that are bitchy.

He quite clearly adores the show but all he's saying here is that it's an overwhelmingly difficult job. It also sounds like they're doing their best to keep it exciting and fresh each week, which is good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it was just the bit that he compares it to slavery, nobody enjoys slave labour. That's the specific bit that I mean. I'm not for a minute saying he was, its just rather easy to get there when you choose that term.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that bookends with his other comments lately, that they have to go to a lot of effort trying to get press for Who each week just to ensure it remains visible. I don't really think he was being unkind to Who, I think he was just comparing the experience of working on a programme with atypically short runs to one with atypically long — the one can live off the novelty publicity alone, the other is really hard work.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Nothing bitchy about his comments. It's a really difficult show to run, even for top talent. That's all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do have a great deal of sympathy for Moffat. I'm not saying the last series was perfect, but he obviously worked incredibly hard on it, to be mainly rewarded by the press crowing about the 'falling ratings' (which didn't exist) and a large percentage of the viewers saying they didn't understand x element.

So yeah, I can understand why he says he's under massive pressure; it doesn't come across as bitchy in the slightest.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, but I thought it sounded more like he does like it and is worried it might get scrapped if it's not good enough (he's probably been reading the whining on here ;)) and he'd feel responsible or something. :)

Why would they scrap it after all the money it rakes in.
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Why would they scrap it after all the money it rakes in.

I don't think that would stop the BBC scrapping it should they feel it was no longer doing the business ratingswise. It was a big money spinner in the '80s and they scrapped it then. Not that the programme's situation today is in any way comparable to then, of course, and I don't think it's in any danger of being scrapped; I'm just pointing out that they probably wouldn't let a programme that was failing with the viewers run on just because of the income it generated.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the rani wrote: »

Thanks for the link - always nice to see Moff talking about Sherlock. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    The price of success in entertainment is that you're expected to maintain it. Plus Dr. Who fans are some of the most demanding in television. I think SM is just acknowledging the pressure.RTD never had this, he wasn't expected to get so much success when he resurrected the franchise and once he had it he had the foresight to hand over the reigns before things went stale for him and the show. SM has Sherlock, so like RTD (with Torchwood) he has a job to go to if he decides to jump ship. What does concern me is the lack of diversity in writing coming into the show.The team that has been there under SM is largely the same as the team under RTD (with a few lost along the way and Neil Gaimon added) and although passing on the reins to another of that team would be appropriate and logical (probably Mark Gatiss) I think the diversification of ideas for Who is necessary for the long-term survival of the show.If this is the first sign of SM 'jumping ship' after the 50th then its a shame, though he won't exactly be leaving it in trouble. The man has done wonders in expanding the franchise and although I personally proffer RTD's style of production there is no questioning the international advance the programme has made under Stephen.Whatever, next year should be really good!