Why do people still pay for music?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
I realize that music shops have struggled in recent years due to people downloading music online.

However, since many sites provide the option of free downloads, why do many people continue to pay for music (either buying physical cds or downloading songs from sites like itunes)?

Comments

• tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    FernandoM wrote: »
    (either buying physical cds or downloading songs from sites like itunes)?

The "stan" fanbases at least on the internet seem to follow the itunes singles charts obsessively :eek:.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realize that music shops have struggled in recent years due to people downloading music online.

However, since many sites provide the option of free downloads, why do many people continue to pay for music (either buying physical cds or downloading songs from sites like itunes)?

'cos they think that stealing it via a free download site is..well..wrong?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Because free download sites are illegal? I used to know people who swore by the likes of Limewire or The Pirate Bay but they're illegal and with most internet providers having a three strikes system for illegal downloaders it's not worth having your net cut off.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Because I want the people who make music I like to be able to continue doing it.
  • beefybeefbeefybeef Posts: 3,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact that stealing it is wrong and unfair to the artist, I would rather have a high quality CD than a nasty 128Kb/s MP3.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    'cos they think that stealing it via a free download site is..well..wrong?

Yes, this :)

The way I see it, is that the musicians have gone to all the trouble & expense of writing & producing the music. The least I can do is pay them for it. After all, I wouldn't want to work for nothing, so why should we expect them to?

Most music acts aren't extremely wealthy superstars.
  • StephenmarraStephenmarra Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A) I like a physical copy of the music I buy, i.e. CD's or Vinyl.
    B) I like to think I'm contributing something to the artist that has created the music I've just bought.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to do my part, I realise most of the artists I listen to probably don't need the money, but I like to feel I've supported them and helped them get to where they are, and help them to make more music in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because its illegal to download for free.
    & my favorite artists have worked hard on their music & i like
    to support them. I could never illegally download music & call
    myself a fan. People who do should be ashamed of themselves!
    & are cheap skates.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I like owning the physical CDs. Even if an artist offers a legal free download, I'd still rather own it on CD. I'm not very internet-savvy either, so I'd probably end up with loads of viruses if I tried illegal downloading.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay money to artists & bands that I like, those who I don't like don't get a penny. Take 1D or the latest Now albums for example, I wouldn't even download that sh!t illegally as it is a waste of a blank disc or HDD space. I also order albums for the cheapest price possible, I don't believe in paying over £20 for an album in HMV, because they class it as an import, I would rather save a few quid & buy it online.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Because if you don't pay for it, you are stealing it. That = illegal. :rolleyes:

Besides, I love buying CDs. I'm still mourning the CD single!
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're a CRIMINAL FernandoM, I am calling the police immediately.

:rolleyes:
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because free download sites are illegal? I used to know people who swore by the likes of Limewire or The Pirate Bay but they're illegal and with most internet providers having a three strikes system for illegal downloaders it's not worth having your net cut off.
    Unless you take precautions ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious^ but when all said & done it is illegal!
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be going to the wrong places then as the download site I use offers 320 + FLAC format.
    beefybeef wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that stealing it is wrong and unfair to the artist, I would rather have a high quality CD than a nasty 128Kb/s MP3.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I have no time for people who illegally download. I girl I used to know did it and we had pretty big arguments about it.

Whilst I am aware that the state of the music industry is down to many things, people illegally downloading really hasn't helped.

WIth services like Spotify and YouTube I don't see why it's even necessary.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Because if you don't pay for it, you are stealing it. That = illegal. :rolleyes:

Besides, I love buying CDs. I'm still mourning the CD single!

No you are not, even a top judge has said that it isn't stealing, but more on the lines of trespassing.

Link

This argument will go on for generations to come, but copyright infringement isn't stealing.
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just polite :)
  • beefybeefbeefybeef Posts: 3,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be going to the wrong places then as the download site I use offers 320 + FLAC format.

I don't use any download site unless it's one where you PAY for them. I am sure you're referring to illegal free music of course as the only place I've seen where you can get FLAC files legally are quite a bit more expensive.

If I buy them not on CD I use Amazon as they use variable bitrate MP3's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I have no time for people who illegally download. I girl I used to know did it and we had pretty big arguments about it.

Whilst I am aware that the state of the music industry is down to many things, people illegally downloading really hasn't helped.

WIth services like Spotify and YouTube I don't see why it's even necessary.

I agree with you.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    A lot of people probably don't even know how to illegally download, or are scared to. I'm talking mainly about the older generations, and very young children. My parents, for example, are scared to download ANYTHING from the Internet. Even attachments that I send them in emails, they're scared to download because they think it might have a virus. They just don't understand, there's no way my parents would be able work out how to illegally download music.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know?
    why didn't you walk in to a shop and just help yourself to the phone or pc you typed the post on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Because it's a form of stealing. I don't care how many other people do it, I don't want to be a thief myself. If you didn't get paid for your work you would be outraged. Why should it be any different for musicians? We should be paying for the music that they have created.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I started illegally downloading, legal options hadn't taken off and I probably wouldn't have cared if they had. I was a teenager. When Napster was around I thought their offer of 12 free downloads for 9.99 a month was good, though that offer didn't exist when I first started using the service in 2008. When they were sold I started using 7Digital. It isn't expensive, nor is a Spotify subscription, so now it's 7Digital and Spotify for me.