Options

Onion AV Club feature on Moffat's Work

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
Todd VanDerWerff has a feature on Steven Moffat's body of
work, including "Doctor Who" :
Though occasionally a little too in love with his own trickery, Moffat is the most consistently excellent television writer alive. He’s fond of constructing stories with strong central characters and lots and lots of complicated plotting. The best Moffat scripts toss 50 balls in the air at the start of the juggling act, then catch every single one at the same time, in as many improbable ways as possible.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/exploring-steven-moffats-work-on-sherlock-doctor-w,73442/

Comments

• Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice analogy. I would argue that some of those 50 juggling balls mysteriously vanish whilst in the air and that natural forces are altered in order for all of them to be caught.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice analogy. I would argue that some of those 50 juggling balls mysteriously vanish whilst in the air and that natural forces are altered in order for all of them to be caught.

Yeh, I'd say that 5 of the 50 balls disappear, but the other 45 are indeed expertly caught! :cool:
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say that 50 balls are tossed in the air, and of the 40 that come down, 30 are different balls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like he catches one ball and uses it as one big distraction instead of catching the others! :D
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think he throws up 40 balls, and 40 come down, but some people will swear blind that he threw 50, and demand that the remaining 10 come down in the next series.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Not sure I'd agree with the 'strong central characters' part. This is the one thing lacking for me in Moffatt's Who.

I would agree with the rest, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I think he throws up 40 balls, and 40 come down, but some people will swear blind that he threw 50, and demand that the remaining 10 come down in the next series.

Nothing more to say other than this is so true..
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, compromise. Moffat throws 50 balls of different sizes. He catches about 30 of them, the fans catch the rest. ;)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, compromise. Moffat throws 50 balls of different sizes. He catches about 30 of them, the fans catch the rest. ;)

Or think they do. ;)
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I think this whole thread is a load of balls