Shud the Big Bang theory go bck to how it used to be in seasons 1-4

Comments

• bramley29bramley29 Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Ditch Amy. Give us slightly less of Bernadette. Give us more Sheldon, Leonard and Penny and more of Sheldon and Leonard's mums. Stuart and Kripke are just fine in small doses but no more Wesley Crusher - he can't act and he ruined Star Trek when he was on it. Cut out the Friends type stories. Get some new good writers or pay more to get the original writers back. I repeat - Ditch Amy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Punctuation is your friend, OP.

It sickens me how great, progressive shows such as 30 Rock which aren't afraid to use story arcs and inter-seasonal references, are axed whilst derirative tripe like Two & A Half Men (and to a lesser extent the very, very formulaic BBT) gets monster ratings even with a definite drop in quality (if any existed in the first place)

30 Rock's first season wasn't that good, but in later seasons it became amazing. Shame nobody was watching, but at least NBC's ratings were bad enough for it to reach a natural conclusion...
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the show and think it has improved over time! I love the dynamics of the relationships too. People change as they get older and people do settle down! I think if it would have stayed the same, people would also moan because it would go nowhere.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wat do we think I wud like it to go bck to the earlier days wen the show was more geeky still like it still very funny but not as funny as it was but saying that the ratings in the us are mega big in its latest run the biggest ratings yet:)
    rkid wrote: »
    eh? can someone please translate?:rolleyes:

'What is your opinion on the above suggestion? I am dismayed that the central characters have evolved from the socially awkward creatures witnessed in the first few series. Although the show does still provoke laughter in me from time to time, the frequency of this has decreased significantly. However, my opinion may not be shared by the majority of viewers in the US, as the show's ratings over there are at an all time high.'

Was that more confusing? :p
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Whilst I did prefer the show when it was the four boys and Penny I don't have that big of a problem with the girls being introduced. My issues stem from the fact that the girls and their relationships are too much of a focus on the show for it's own good, and in the process it eliminates the quirkiness that made BBT so appealing, personally I would keep Bernadette and Amy, but treat them as recurring characters rather then regulars..

The best way for me the relationships are handled are when they intertwine with the boy's geeky antics, the episode where Sheldon ditches Amy's grandmother's birthday to have a gaming weekend with the other boys is a good example of the way it should be handled; still prominent but allowing the boys to do what they do best.
  • mattlewis86mattlewis86 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only person that likes Stuart? I think he's quite a funny character to, I like the way Sheldon and Kripkee address each other, makes me laugh.

Even though I still love it, I get what you guys are saying, the earlier seasons were definitely the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bramley29 wrote: »
    Ditch Amy. Give us slightly less of Bernadette. Give us more Sheldon, Leonard and Penny and more of Sheldon and Leonard's mums. Stuart and Kripke are just fine in small doses but no more Wesley Crusher - he can't act and he ruined Star Trek when he was on it. Cut out the Friends type stories. Get some new good writers or pay more to get the original writers back. I repeat - Ditch Amy.

Really? lose Amy? She's given us two of the funniest moments in the show full stop.

The "its a Tiara, I have a Tiara! putitonme! putitonme!" scene and of course the incredibly funny.... "yes... I've been very bad" spanking scene.
    This show is nothing like friends, its funny for start.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person that likes Stuart? I think he's quite a funny character to, I like the way Sheldon and Kripkee address each other, makes me laugh.

Even though I still love it, I get what you guys are saying, the earlier seasons were definitely the best.
    I don't have a problem with either but in my opinion they are best as background characters.
    It seems in S6 Stuart is becomming a regular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arent Sheldon and is it Amy? Gay? Its like a underlining storyline. Probobaly just me.lol.
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k0213818 wrote: »
    Whilst I did prefer the show when it was the four boys and Penny I don't have that big of a problem with the girls being introduced. My issues stem from the fact that the girls and their relationships are too much of a focus on the show for it's own good, and in the process it eliminates the quirkiness that made BBT so appealing, personally I would keep Bernadette and Amy, but treat them as recurring characters rather then regulars..

The best way for me the relationships are handled are when they intertwine with the boy's geeky antics, the episode where Sheldon ditches Amy's grandmother's birthday to have a gaming weekend with the other boys is a good example of the way it should be handled; still prominent but allowing the boys to do what they do best.
    agree also ratings for the show here and in the us have been higher since they introduced the new female chracters to the show I've found the new eps just as funny as the old eps and season 6 is much better than 5
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Arent Sheldon and is it Amy? Gay?

I'd say Sheldon was asexual, unless he has ever talked about being physically attracted to Amy. I can't remember whether he has. Amy started off the same way but was later shown to be attracted to both men and women (well, one, which was Penny). She is possibly bisexual. Oh, this is turning into something out of the Showbiz forum!
    Forum Member
    I watched two episodes of S6 last night. One had Bernadette, Amy and Wil Wheaton.

The other had the streamlined original cast. It was much better.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still enjoy it. It's not that it's got worse, it's just changed. Yes, I think it should have more geekiness, but it's too mainstream now,it may lose viewers. I like all the cast, and think Stuart is a good addition.

I think the whole "everyone shocked" when girls go into the comic shop is overused now though, geek girls are popular now. Which brings me too...the natural expansion of the show is a geek girl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Really? lose Amy? She's given us two of the funniest moments in the show full stop.

The "its a Tiara, I have a Tiara! putitonme! putitonme!" scene and of course the incredibly funny.... "yes... I've been very bad" spanking scene.
    This show is nothing like friends, its funny for start.

I agree! Amy is the most like Leonard and Raj in being a very intelligent person who has physical desires but no idea how to get them fulfilled. Penny knows what she's hinting at, but Sheldon doesn't have a clue.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I still enjoy it. It's not that it's got worse, it's just changed. Yes, I think it should have more geekiness, but it's too mainstream now,it may lose viewers. I like all the cast, and think Stuart is a good addition.

I think the whole "everyone shocked" when girls go into the comic shop is overused now though, geek girls are popular now. Which brings me too...the natural expansion of the show is a geek girl.

They had a geek girl, Leslie Winkle, but I read that the writers didn't know how to write for her character, so the just faded her out.
    Forum Member
    Surely both Amy and Bernadette are geeky. One is a neruoscientist and the other a biochemist or similar.
    Amy is frumpy and very straight laced. Give ger braces and it would finish off the sterotype.

Lesly Winkle at least had some street smats about her. She was intelliegent but also sarcastic and wasn't a push over. She was the less geeky of the three in my view.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is as funny as it has ever been, I love the new characters, though I agree that it probably wasn't the right move to marry Bernadette and Howard, it limits his character.

I actually think if the show had stayed the same we would just be getting repeated gags and I think people would have lost interest, at least the show is changing and staying fresh.
  • BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Friends reference isn't about the content but the fact that the writers have the same problem. Series of Friends was all about if Ross and Rachel would get together, The writers put them together and they then struggled of what to do now.

The early BBT focused a lot on how would geeks get girls... so the writers have the problem of what to do now.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    30 Rock's first season wasn't that good, but in later seasons it became amazing. Shame nobody was watching, but at least NBC's ratings were bad enough for it to reach a natural conclusion...

:):D 'MILF Island' :D:)
    Forum Member
    Bassthound wrote: »
    I think the Friends reference isn't about the content but the fact that the writers have the same problem. Series of Friends was all about if Ross and Rachel would get together, The writers put them together and they then struggled of what to do now.

The early BBT focused a lot on how would geeks get girls... so the writers have the problem of what to do now.

Exactly, they now spend as much time writing for the 3 female characters as they do for the 4 male ones. It spoils the show, there are enough comedy shows on TV that focus on female characters as it is.

Also, I find it rather dull that much of the conversations and jokes are about feminine hygiene, waxing or other uninteresting subjects.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I love BBT but, as with any Programme, the writers are brilliant at the beginning but cannot Keep up the high Standard. Every idea obviously gets stale with time. I like Amy and her relationship with Sheldon. I found the on and off relationship between Penny and Leonard rather irritating as time went on. At the beginning I cared about them but I go so bored with it, now I no longer care if they date or not!!!!!! Bernie is great especially when she turns into Howard's Mum!!!

I remember the Pilot Show on the Internet before they revamped the whole concept of the Show and introduced Howard and Raj. I always felt so sorry for the actress who played Penny who was replaced by Kaley. How awful to see such a successful Show, going on for years and years and you missed out! Enough to make you barking mad!!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member

Oh no, I just love Amy and her rather odd relationship with Sheldon. I agree about Sheldon's religious Mum who is really funny and some of the lines are priceless. My fav Episode is when Penny gave Sheldon the napkin and he huged her. Lovely. Never mind the Tiara Moment with Amy, fabulous.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How anyone could say ditch Amy is beyond me! She's fantastic! Bernadette never gets as much screen time as Amy anyway and Penny was there from the beginning, so I'm happy for them to still be in the show (And when Bernie gets angry, its very funny)

You say cut out the Friends type stories but if it wasn't for that show there is a good chance that TBBT never would of succeeded... And that goes for a lot of the group based sitcoms in the US.

The Big Bang is fine as it is, It still manages to be geeky (Latest episode aired in America was brilliant... won't say anything in case of spoilers) but now they can play on emotions as well. One thing I would say is that Penny and Leonard either need to get married or split up - I feel there relationship is doomed - Somewhat like Robin and Ted on HIMYM and they need to do something with Penny for the long term - make her have some success as an actress or make her go back to college full time...
    Forum Member
    How anyone could say ditch Amy is beyond me! She's fantastic! Bernadette never gets as much screen time as Amy anyway and Penny was there from the beginning, so I'm happy for them to still be in the show (And when Bernie gets angry, its very funny)

You say cut out the Friends type stories but if it wasn't for that show there is a good chance that TBBT never would of succeeded... And that goes for a lot of the group based sitcoms in the US.

The Big Bang is fine as it is, It still manages to be geeky (Latest episode aired in America was brilliant... won't say anything in case of spoilers) but now they can play on emotions as well. One thing I would say is that Penny and Leonard either need to get married or split up - I feel there relationship is doomed - Somewhat like Robin and Ted on HIMYM and they need to do something with Penny for the long term - make her have some success as an actress or make her go back to college full time...

If they wanted to they could make a spin off show with Amy in it, but I find it rather tedius when she's on screen, less so than Bernadette but still generally dull.

I just don't see the need for them to be regulars, too late now as they are but I think the early shows when it was just Penny are much funnier.

She and Sheldon together are a hoot.
    Forum Member
    Watched an episode last night and the girly chat was actually very funny.

Actually most of the comedy was from Penny. It was the episode where they decided to goto Disneyland and Penny is talking about her past exploits.

Infact the other two girls and Raj were the straight men in the scene but I thought it was a really funny scene. Penny was good through the whole episode.